Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Jiggerypokery

iR105+ K3K4 finisher not folding centrally intermittent

Hi all,

I have a Canon iR 105+ connected to a K3/K4 finisher. Occasionally when making booklets the fold is not central. The overlap is about an inch wide and the staples remain on the fold, as if the paper is not being lowered enough as it is stapled and then pushed into the folder. When the fault appears it stays until the machine is switched off. The overlap is not skewed in any way and switching the machine off and on seems to reset the problem.

The fault however keeps reappearing and i'd like to fix it before it becomes permanent.

Thanks in advance,

Mr J. Pokery esq...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    not quite sure of your description but check the paper flags on the inlet. there are three close together i believe pi 60,61,62. Maybe the flag is worn down. use one of the other flags in its place as a test. The flags are for different size papers.

Technician 250+ Posts
    YOUROWNFREE is correct. Those sensors cause booklet stapling issues. Usually it is PI60. It can cause the last couple of pages to be off about an inch or so. The part number for the sensors is the same (FG5-8408-000). I normally replace all three. Good luck!

Jiggerypokery
    Thanks a lot, i was giving up hope of getting a reply I'll order the sensors in the morning

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    If the sensor flags wre causing the problem then the outside page would be the only one off. If the entire book is stapled good but the fold is off I would examine the inner side guide assembly and make sure it is moving properly. We had a similar problem a few years ago, I think we replaced the finisher controller for it. But I would check the the guide assembly and the sensors that detect the booklet move down. Make sure they are clean and have no dust or paper in them.

Jiggerypokery
    I might clarify the staple position:

The fold is wrong, but the staples remain on the crease even though the fold is not central.

So if you can imagine...the folded booklet looks normal apart from the front pages being an inch longer than the rear pages.

It is as if the lower guide is not moving down far enough and the pages are falling in to the stacker which is now too far up. They are stapled and then fed straight into the booklet maker resulting in the off centre fold with the staples on the fold.

Also the problem is intermittent and switching the machine off and on clears the problem. The customer however likes to set very large runs and go off to do other things, so having to switch off and on and then rescan the documents is a hassle for her.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Sounds like the inner side guide assembly is not moving properly. Sounds like it might be moving down to eject the book and not moving back up to its home position. Turning the machine off and on resets the home position. I would examine the guide for any reason it might be catching including the motor and/or gear having trouble.