Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I think some one is messing with my counter or making free prints..

I dont know if this is possible or if there is a way to check it, but I think that my service guy for my canon IRC3220 or the guy working at my shop is messing with my counter..

I can only get about 1000 or 2000 copies from my toners and my drums are almost gone..

I about 80 % of my prints are 12x18.. but still..

could it be possible ?

the service guy sometimes comes in and the guy working at the shop tells me that the service guy takes a bunch of papers with him that he tells him that are test copies..

but my counter doesnt show the test copies he makes..

anything that can be done about this ?

is this even possible ?

thanks in advance

missing prints

Hey have seen "ALOT" of free copies scams over the years. b4 u start we need more info. # of copies on each color toner, each iu, total # of copy's on box, type of color wk u do (%of fil) copies b4 service /after service length of time betwenn sc's is a scontract acct ect. suggest you or responsible party monitor each scall, log # and type of "test prints" tech is leaving with. this should solve this issue "quick" only responding bcuz i have been a victim of "unauthorized usage" a # of times and cust is very quick 2 blame the service tech. many custs do not understand that color copiers and their "meters" DO NOT add up like b/w bxs. you are using color every cpy u mk even when your orig is b/w hope this helps all concerned!!!
    jp
    IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN QUIET AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL
    THAN TO SPEAK AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I am going to check all the logs and counters and post it up..

I am not blaming the service guys only. Just stating what my worker told me. I already made a log and told my worker to count the number of print the service guy has made and make him sign a paper with number of test prints..

anyway it could be the worker with some kind of hacking code or something, or a glitch he found...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    I think some one is messing with my counter or making free prints..

There are a whole lot of factors to roll in here.

If your 12 x 18 pages are duplex that's (4) clicks monochrome, or (16) clicks full color for each piece of paper. That can add up really fast. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to to conclude that your tech is doing something malicious (and not just because I am a tech). For one thing you tech in no way benefits from it. Secondly counters are made especially difficult to tamper with, especially electronic counters. Thirdly, your tech wants the supplies to last as long as possible, not as short as possible.

Once you start to really accurately account for the images (not pages) you'll see that you really can be running that much.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    A simple solution would be to activate ID Mangment, so that your worker would enter a code, and the tech would enter his code. This will track who is making what for copies. You would also want to lock it down with system managment password so no one could change the IDs you assign for the worker and the tech.

missing prints?

ok guys we are right back @ the start. thank you black kat for explaining a bit about the color counters. this cust needs 2 verify his cnts b4 anything else. he needs to do a little "micromanaging first" he might be surprised to find that his 12x18 prints(what % fill) are really "eating up" his toner. would be good for him to get back to us with some "data"
    jp
    IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN QUIET AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL
    THAN TO SPEAK AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT

Quote Originally Posted by matrix View Post
    I dont know if this is possible or if there is a way to check it, but I think that my service guy for my canon IRC3220 or the guy working at my shop is messing with my counter..

I can only get about 1000 or 2000 copies from my toners and my drums are almost gone..

I about 80 % of my prints are 12x18.. but still..

could it be possible ?

the service guy sometimes comes in and the guy working at the shop tells me that the service guy takes a bunch of papers with him that he tells him that are test copies..

but my counter doesn't show the test copies he makes..

anything that can be done about this ?

is this even possible ?

thanks in advance
    If your using 80% coverage with 12x18, you are going to go thru toner and drums way more than what the specs are rated for.

Canon bases the life or usage on consumables at a coverage of 6% on letter size sheets, you are using 12x18, 80% coverage.

The test pages that are done in service mode are not recorded as clicks, you will not see them. As blackcat stated, the counters are not easy to tamper with, especially 101.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCREWTAPE View Post
    The test pages that are done in service mode are not recorded as clicks, you will not see them. As blackcat stated, the counters are not easy to tamper with, especially 101.
    Not to side with the customer but if he is taking them with him, they may not be test prints but copies he made to "test" the copier when done with his repairs. I know other techs who run a few copies of log books, bulletins (to hand out to fellow techs), etc.. And yes I saw a tech connect his laptop to "check the network" out (on a copy quality call) and printed 20-30 pictures of his camping trip out.

But I would also agree to check the counters as to what he is doing and how much his lay done is. I believe that a solid gray image (50% density) on 8 1/2 X 11 inch paper is equal to 50-60 pages at the posted "yield" that the manufactures use. so if you are using 12 x 18 and nearly full coverage that would be 100-150 pages per side of the rated yield and that could be why you seem to have a toner usage issue.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
    Not to side with the customer but if he is taking them with him, they may not be test prints but copies he made to "test" the copier when done with his repairs. I know other techs who run a few copies of log books, bulletins (to hand out to fellow techs), etc.. And yes I saw a tech connect his laptop to "check the network" out (on a copy quality call) and printed 20-30 pictures of his camping trip out.

But I would also agree to check the counters as to what he is doing and how much his lay done is. I believe that a solid gray image (50% density) on 8 1/2 X 11 inch paper is equal to 50-60 pages at the posted "yield" that the manufactures use. so if you are using 12 x 18 and nearly full coverage that would be 100-150 pages per side of the rated yield and that could be why you seem to have a toner usage issue.
    That may be..
    But if the customer has a service contract, which,drums and toner should be consider free because its part of the service contract, why should the cleint worry as much. If I wanted to make some copies I would ask, but first I will fix their copier,LOL

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks for the help everyone..

Just to let everyone know, it was the service guy.....

Printing out his kids homework and pictures, well at least this time...

He admitted that he had printed other stuff in different visits too...