Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Exclamation ir 3570 scan to email setup help

so i've having trouble figuring out the proper way to setup scan to email, I'm attempting to use a gmail account. i've tried setting it up with the listed pop and smtp servers but could could find where to set the ports on the copier, needless to say it didn't work, so then i tried pinging the pop and smtp servers and using " : " and the port number to get it to connect to the proper port, but that didn't work either.

Does it have to use standard port settings or is there a way to change it?

Better yet, what is the proper way to setup scan to email?

In the last three years this is maybe the second time a customer has wanted to use this function.

Thanks in advance!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar
    dont use gmail - it's a dog to get working - also highlight the security implications of having an anoyomous email account on an unguarded machine(ie you could have an employee with a vendetta send out malicous stuff to everyone).

also you only need to set the smtp side of things up...

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by alex@wocltd.com View Post
    dont use gmail - it's a dog to get working - also highlight the security implications of having an anoyomous email account on an unguarded machine(ie you could have an employee with a vendetta send out malicous stuff to everyone).

hope that helps
    what mail service would you suggest? also their office is a husband and wife team. so i'm not worried about email security.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalamar View Post
    what mail service would you suggest? also their office is a husband and wife team. so i'm not worried about email security.
    Try setting up an account at GMX.com.

Although it has a web based version, it works with SMTP as well.

It will require a username and password to send, but still uses the standard port 25 with no encryption "tricks". The server you will use is "mail.gmx.com". Again, that won't work until you set up a free account with them.

BTW... Pinging the SMTP server would be, f'rinstance, "ping mail.gmx.com 25". There is no colon required before the port number, only a space. (That works for me, anyway...)

TTFN
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Try setting up an account at GMX.com.

Although it has a web based version, it works with SMTP as well.

It will require a username and password to send, but still uses the standard port 25 with no encryption "tricks". The server you will use is "mail.gmx.com". Again, that won't work until you set up a free account with them.

BTW... Pinging the SMTP server would be, f'rinstance, "ping mail.gmx.com 25". There is no colon required before the port number, only a space. (That works for me, anyway...)

TTFN
    I must be retarded. I put in all their mail settings and it fails to send. just to be sure i'm not screwing it up, can you please tell me all the settings you put it to make it work, a walk through?

thank you

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I haven't worked with a "70" series iR in ages; as far as I remember, it will allow SMTP authentication. (Earlier models did not). If it doesn't allow authentication, then GMX won't work.

If it does allow authentication:

Try putting your notebook in place of the MFP, using the exact same network drop.

Then plug in the exact same network info, such as IP address, DNS, gateway, etc.. (There most likely won't be a WINS server in a Mom and Pop shop, but you never know.)

Once all that is done, enter the GMX mail account info into Outlook Express, and see if that works. If it doesn't, at least Outlook Express will give you messages as to why it may have failed.

That's the best test I can think of.

I guess it's always possible that their ISP isn't allowing SMTP to other locations, but that's very doubtful.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

How to look a little further into the details as to why a scan won't work

The below information I think is very useful in sorting out these problems.
    Its going to be a part of another post I make about a Konica/Minolta Bizhub - but this portion's applications are universal in a scan to email situation.

The prerequisite for being able to use Wireshark to find out what your make and model network scanner does when it sends the scans it - that you have to run it on a machine that is either communicating directly with your scanner - or you have to be able to listen to the conversation by being on a hubbed network.

Here goes:

I ran Wireshark on a successful transmission through an Internal Email server I set up in Open SuSE Linux 11.1.

Ultimately I wanted to know why the Bizhub would not send its scans to an email account provided by our Internet Service Provider.

Once I figured this out - I decided to send the scans to our Internet service provider.

Once you understand what the requirements are for sending your scan to email - (And I have provided 1 both examples below) you can solve your problem by understanding its cause.

Wireshark is a network packet sniffer and analyzer. Assuming you know the IP number of the machine you are working on - you just have to run a capture in Wireshark - and then when you see a transmission that comes from your server - right click on it and select "Follow TCP stream"

When I did that in my situation, a sucessful transmission appeared as follows:

220 hostname.OurDomainName.com ESMTP Postfix

EHLO 192.168.0.1

250-hostname.OurDomainName.com
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE 10240000
    250-VRFY
    250-ETRN
    250-STARTTLS
    250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
    250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-8BITMIME
    250 DSN

AUTH LOGIN

334 xxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxx=

334 xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx=

235 2.7.0 Authentication successful

Now that I knew what a sucessful scan to email looked like - I set out to compare how our ISP's email account responded to the commands being sent to it by the Bizhub:

I connected to our company's outside email service provider's SMTP port with telnet - using the same IP number as our domain names' DNS registered IP number. I set out to replicate the Bizhubs commans I sniffed with Wireshark above. A guide on how to do this is provided in this link:

How to Send Email Using Telnet: 12 steps - wikiHow

Here is what happened:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25

Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...

Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Escape character is '^]'.

220 OurDomainName.com

ESMTP

EHLO OURDOMAINNAME.COM

250-ourdomainname.com

250-PIPELINING

250-SIZE 10485760

250 8BITMIME

AUTH LOGIN

502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

(At this point the Bizhub with only report: "SERVER CONNECTION ERROR"
    which is patently misleading in our case.)

The 502 unimplimented means that you can't log in to access the SMTP services provided at his port.

I then recalled that I could change a seting in our multifunctional - authorization is not required to use SMTP.

I wanted to know if our ISP allowed this - or if it was a situation in which POP3 had to be authenticated first - then SMTP would be accessable. So, I tested to see if I could send an email without authentication:

MAIL FROM: James@OurDomainName.com

250 OK

RCPT TO; John@OurDomainName.com

DATA

354 go ahead

SUBJECT: This is a test
    Email arrived at its intended destimation without a problem. SMTP authentication was not required.

When I changed the SMTP settings in the Bizhub to indicate that SMTP authentication was not required - it worked without a hitch.

Hope this helps.

But the botom line ius that you need to know if SMTP authentication is required or not - and if so is it POP3 prior or just SMTP.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by alex@wocltd.com View Post

hope that helps
    This is the configuration that works with gmail just for sending email on an iR 3570:
    SMTP Receipt : OFF
    SMTP Server : smtp.gmail.com
    E-mail Address : xxx@gmail.com

Allow SSL (SMTP Send) : ON
    Use SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH) : ON
    User : xxx@gmail.com
    Password : ******
    Allow SSL (SMTP Receive) : OFF

Also you have to go Service Mode Level 2 (maybe just Level 1 in 3300i), OPTION -> BODY -> SMTPTXPN: 587 and SMTPRXPN: 587

Technician
    Also, it has nothing to do with email function, I have found out that the Domain Name needs to have a string there, otherwise it will not work.

And of course Internet needs to be working first.