Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    avpress

IR7095 perfect binder trauma

We frequently print perfect-bound books on our ImageRunner 7095, but occasionally it stops cooperating. It says that the trimmer waste tray is full when it is in fact empty. I pull out the waste tray, verify that it's empty and that it's seated properly, and replace it. Still says it's empty.

Occasionally after a while of this it goes to a Gray Screen of Death with an error code. Today the error code was E0005b5-8016.

On a possibly related note, the stacker gets stuck open. Today I fiddled with it endlessly trying to close it again, and finally it closed only when I pushed slightly harder than I meant to push. That didn't change anything that I could see, though.

I called tech support, but it's Saturday and apparently they won't answer the phone on Saturday unless you pay $400 an hour. I very definitely need to print a few hundred books this weekend, but I can't afford to pay $400 an hour. Although I admit I'm jealous of the rate. Here I am working on the weekend and I sure don't get an hourly rate in that ballpark.

Any tips on what we could do to make the machine behave?

Thanks for listening.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Hopefully this will help; it's from a tech bulletin:

Check to see if the waste paper buffer plate is sticking to the deflector guide.

You can move the guide by hand to see if the plate sticks.

Adjust the edge of the waste paper guide so it does not stick to the vertical guide.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Although I admit I'm jealous of the rate. Here I am working on the weekend and I sure don't get an hourly rate in that ballpark
    Yeah..but you also realize that the actual Tech DOES NOT get paid that hourly rate I hope?
    That after hours fee is set by the dealer that they work for...the tech MIGHT get some overtime for the job but they sure as heck don't get 400 per hour...and if you Yank techs DO get that....BUY ME A PLANE TICKET AND CALL ME A YANKEE..!!!!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    Yeah..but you also realize that the actual Tech DOES NOT get paid that hourly rate I hope?
    That after hours fee is set by the dealer that they work for...the tech MIGHT get some overtime for the job but they sure as heck don't get 400 per hour...and if you Yank techs DO get that....BUY ME A PLANE TICKET AND CALL ME A YANKEE..!!!!
    Most techs are lucky to get paid time and a half for weekends. Techs who are on call (usually high volume techs) don't get paid at all unless they actually go on site, which means that they have to keep their cell phones on and stay in range.

I know from past experience that a lot of times their manager will try to get them comp time - like that ever works out...

Getting back to the case at hand, though, if it's in the realm of possibility that a lot of jobs will be run after hours or weekends, get a service contract which includes it. Yes, it will cost more, but would be worth it if you can build a business case for it.

Just my proverbial 2 cents' worth.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    Welcome to the wonderful world of perfect binding on a copier!!Most of the time i have seen trimmings stuck to the waste plate that moves the trimmings to the waste container.Dont know if the glue hasnt dried enough or what but once the trimmings were cleaned out didnt have that problem again for awhile.