Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsw2k View Post

As to the DVU, there is apparently nothing wrong with it. It is the toner cartridge coupling that is at issue. Replacing the DVU would WAY overkill (especially if poorly manufactured toner cartridges are at fault).
    What is possible here, is that the toner cartridge, when it binds up, has caused damage to the geartrain in the developer that is supposed to "stir" the toner into the developer. This is why I suggested the developer in the first place

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

bad toner

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully I can return the favors!

Canon toner may be "abrasive" but is nowhere near as abrasive as dual-component systems. Regardless, there's no damage to the mg roller or the blade; there's no binding in the gear chain; there's no damage to the DVU whatsoever.

In fact, when I "goosed" the DVU -- which is to say I poured toner directly into the main DVU chamber -- the machine works fine, and will continue to work normally until it is out of toner -- bone dry -- because the coupling between the DVU and the toner cartridge is not happening.

This is the heart of the problem. The machine knows it's out of toner, is trying to add more toner, and the toner cartridge is not participating! Almost needless to say, since the machine has attempted to add toner, and the TDS has determined there is no toner (which there isn't), the CPU throws up the "Out-Of-Toner" indcator; all is as it should be (except for the full toner cartridge!)

An OEM toner is on it's way so I can find out for sure whether the trouble is the cartridge, or the coupling parts.

For the uninitiated, I should point out that I have been offering and using generic toner -- in Canons, Sharps, Ricohs, Minoltas, you name it -- for more than 20 years, and have had few, if any difficulties.

Is the generic toner as good as the OEM? It's very close...at least when you're talking black and white xerography, and since the big box stores and the authorized dealers have largely whored all the margins away from OEM toner, little guys like us have a profitable refuge in generic toners.

It is important to note, however, that not all generic toners are alike; there are good ones and bad ones. You do get what you pay for. Looks like we may have gone down the wrong fork in the road.

Imagine how I'd feel if, after replacing a $600 DVU, my problem persisted! Wow!

Anyway, I seem to have come upon a new problem and will post the details of the final solution, when I find it.
    Last edited by jsw2k; 08-12-2009 at 11:03 PM.