Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Canon ir 5000i "clunking noise"

Hey, working on a canon ir 5000i it has a clunking noise on the right hand side of the machine. Sounds like the noise a machine makes when the fuser has a flat spot but it is on the wrong side and it stops making the noise befor the fuser is finished working. Does not jam , or interfear with the copy process at all. When you pull out the feed secton (top half) i noticed the feed rollers on the shaft to the far right have flat spots on both sides. Is this normal or could this be the problem. I have been told that flat spots are put on some rollers for timing purposes although i have never seen it myself. Also they just moved the machine and they said it never made that noise befor. And from what they are telling me, the machine has not been setting long enough to get flat spots on the rollers. But who knows you can't always take the customers word for it. "i didn't do it" and "i don"t know" are always hanging around the office to blame stuff on. Like that extra kid you can never seem to catch up with at home when things get broken!

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar

Hi Copierlady...

The upper registration roller does indeed get flat spotted,, it is an age thing more than a usage thing, The roller will flat spot when it has set still for a period of time. Do yourself a favor and order the small white gear and the pin for the shaft as well, and you can assemble them at the shop. I dont carry a pin punch or a hammer, and you will need those if you intend to prep this shaft onsite.

As for flat spots on rollers,,, in no product that I am trained on can I think of that has flat spots intentionally are formed

Upper registration roller indeed get flat spots and when they are old they also get hard, so when the roller rotates it will make noise. I have one in my bag right now that I have to replace. Flat spots on feed roller. No machine that I have work on has flat spots on the feed rollers, however they are threaded but never flat.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copierlady View Post
    Hey, working on a canon ir 5000i it has a clunking noise on the right hand side of the machine. Sounds like the noise a machine makes when the fuser has a flat spot but it is on the wrong side and it stops making the noise befor the fuser is finished working. Does not jam , or interfear with the copy process at all. When you pull out the feed secton (top half) i noticed the feed rollers on the shaft to the far right have flat spots on both sides. Is this normal or could this be the problem. I have been told that flat spots are put on some rollers for timing purposes although i have never seen it myself. Also they just moved the machine and they said it never made that noise befor. And from what they are telling me, the machine has not been setting long enough to get flat spots on the rollers. But who knows you can't always take the customers word for it. "i didn't do it" and "i don"t know" are always hanging around the office to blame stuff on. Like that extra kid you can never seem to catch up with at home when things get broken!
    Dido on the reg roll getting flat spots I have seen that before also check and be sure that its not a gear problem I have a test pattern I made (all e's on the page ) that will show any skips or smears if you have a gear mesh problem!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

THANKS GUYS

Thanks for the info. I will replace that reg roller and let you know how it goes. Those rollers did seem realy hard like you said so i bet thats the problem. Sure makes a lot of noise for such a little roller!! Nice hint on the "e" test pattern too. I think i'll make one of those!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

NEXT

OK GUYS, THE CUSTOMER FINALLY ORDERED THE REG ROLLER AND I INSTALLED IT. NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING THAT AGAIN ANYTIME SOON. NOW IT IS JAMMING (UNDER THE ROLLER OF COURSE) BUT ONLY ON 8.5X11 NOT ON 8.5X11R OR LEGAL. CAN NOT SEE ANYTHING WRONG, BUT MAYBE I AM LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE. HATS OFF TO YOU CANON TECHS. SEEMS LIKE THEY ALWAYS HANG ME UP. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Since you just replaced the rollers it's very likely your registration guides don't have enough clearance. Take a piece of paper and fold it in half. Use that to feel the clearance between the upper and lower registration guides. Normally you should be able to slide it into rollers with no resistance. It takes some patience but reform the upper guide so there is enough clearance. That upper guide is a weird shape and if the mouth too far open the gap closest to the rollers will touch and vise-versa.
    Customer's (and me a few times) bend those guides so they are touching. When clearing a jam its easy to put your hand there for support when standing up. Lgl and LtrR must be stiff enough to make it through but LTR jams like a SOB.