Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts cweber0531's Avatar

Canon 5570/3045 cannot print when using Department ID's

Installed two machines (5570/3045) on a network running windows server 2000. Clients are running XP and when we enable department ID's we cannot get them to print. Get an error, "cannot get device information". Both have most updated firmware and have used both PCL5 and PCL6 drivers. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Do they have printer kits installed?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Make sure you have the Canon DIAS (Device Information Assist Service) on the server.

If it is already installed, check your services to make sure that it's running.

I just had a call for this very same thing about a month ago. Sure 'nuff, the service was stopped. Restarting the service fixed the issue right away, and it's been fine ever since (Knock on wood!!!)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    Canon 5570/3045 cannot print when using Department ID's

If you can ping the machine,you did something wrong with department ID,s.Check again
    department properties.Time is on your side.

Matej
    Instal canon ufr driver. I had the same problem and i solve them with ufr driver. Try.

Yes they have print kits. Can print direct through ip but not through server. Where can I get DIAS? I will try the ufr driver. Let you know tomorrow how it goes.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    When you download the drivers from Canon, make sure you get the "setup" version, and not the "inf" version. It will be a much larger file.

Run the setup file after expanding the self-extracting zip download. When you do, you will be prompted to install the DIAS, and update and / or install new drivers.

My hunch is that the workstations which are printing OK directly have the service running, and the server does not. Matej most likely had success after installing the UFR driver because some of the newer drivers automatically install the service without being prompted to, which leads to the misconception the it's a driver issue, when it's really a service issue.

The MFP requires the bidirectional communication for account codes which the service provides, regardless of print language (PCL5, PCL6, UFR, or PostScript.)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Thanks a lot KenB. I will try tomorrow and see if that works.

farls

Can anyone confirm that a solution worked?

I have a similar problem that I have to go look at this afternoon. DIAS is running on the server and ID's work flawlessly for about 150 people, but there are 3 people that have to print directly. Only difference from the original post is that the Servers are Windows 2003.
    I'm going to try the UFR driver and see if that fixes it, but wanted to check here first.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    try using te ufr drivers , update this both on the server n othr m.c ns

also resrart the server once and check the issue