Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

iR 2022 and iR C2550 questions

We're considering the above copiers for our business. The office supply company has priced a maintenance plan based upon the number of copies made. My question is what is the life expectancy on the durables (drum, fuser, etc.)? The C2550 will probably do about 150,000 copies (and 10-20% color) over the duration of the lease, and the 2022 will do about 90,000. Any comments?

Thanks for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by segfault View Post
    We're considering the above copiers for our business. The office supply company has priced a maintenance plan based upon the number of copies made. My question is what is the life expectancy on the durables (drum, fuser, etc.)? The C2550 will probably do about 150,000 copies (and 10-20% color) over the duration of the lease, and the 2022 will do about 90,000. Any comments?

How long will the lease be first. These are good machines, I have many of these in the field.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by SCREWTAPE View Post
    How long will the lease be first. These are good machines, I have many of these in the field.
    Doh, I knew I forgot something. 48 months. We currently have an iR C3170u that has needed quite a bit of maintenance/repairs especially in the last year or two. Not sure what our current B&W machine is, but it's been very dependable (and we should probably have considered buying it), but apparently we are already under contract to lease the new machines.

Technician 250+ Posts
    We also have few of the iRC2550 models running quite nicely in the field. If 150K in 4 years is all you are going to do, all of the major parts should last that long (according to Canon). Black drums (5% coverage) are rated for 70K and the color drums 60K each.

Do not have a 2022 in the field.

I see the maintenance agreement like car insurance - a waste of money UNTIL you have an accident - how lucky do you feel? Most shops have a fairly standard base rate and then a per copy for copies over that amount. If you think they may be high, try another shop.

Technician
    Thanks for the responses... I look at it more like an extended warranty. We have insurance if the copier is stolen or destroyed by an accident.

My concerns are mostly the life expectancy of things like the fuser, transfer rollers, cleaning blades, and other things that need occasional replacement.

You'll definitely want the service, maintenance agreement. The first year may have you wondering why you need it, but after that it more than pays for itself. You can build up quite a bill just on the on-site service and labor calls themselves, excluding any parts, or supplies. The color copier maintenance agreement is definitely mandatory. Service and Labor charges will eat you alive, with just constant cleaning and color calibrations. Its not like insurance, it's more like paying for a gardner to maintain your yard, before the weeds are 10 feet tall, lol

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by segfault View Post

Hi
    The Ir 2022 is an exelent choice Drumlife 55000 and fuser 150 000. Have plenty of them in the field. You are only going to do 90 000. The machine will serve you well !!!

Regards