Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Canon C1 - Fiery Q1 problems

I bought a used C1 imagepress with the Q1 Fiery and I am having problems with the Q1.
    The network connection to C1 says limited connectivity and Fiery says printers offline.
    I have these disks FE1-6315-000 and FE1-6385-010 but they do not seem to contain anything
    that helps my problems.
    Where can I buy the "restore" disk for the Q1 Fiery?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    do u using remote desktop to login to Q1 server and check the ip address?

Technician
    I have used a kbd and mouse on the Q1 and it is geting an ip address from C1 but it says limited connectivity.
    Another problem that someone might recognize is the LCD display on front of Q1 just shows logo
    and the buttons do not do anything. Any ideas on that?
    Last edited by Stanman; 11-28-2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: aditional information

IPC1 Fiery Q1

Hi
    To restore the system software of the Fiery Q1 you need the DVD 1 and 2 (EF1-6163-000 and FE1-6167-000) insert DVD 1 in the DVD drive and reboot the Fiery on DVD 1 this will format the HDD and reinstall the software later a message will prompt on the screen asking to insert DVD 2 when all done connect it to the network then run the setup turn on the DHCP then save the changes and after rebooting the Fiery print the configurations pages to see the IP address which will allow you to install the driver of this device
    Good Luck

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by fr2au View Post
    Hi
    To restore the system software of the Fiery Q1 you need the DVD 1 and 2 (EF1-6163-000 and FE1-6167-000) insert DVD 1 in the DVD drive and reboot the Fiery on DVD 1 this will format the HDD and reinstall the software later a message will prompt on the screen asking to insert DVD 2 when all done connect it to the network then run the setup turn on the DHCP then save the changes and after rebooting the Fiery print the configurations pages to see the IP address which will allow you to install the driver of this device
    Good Luck
    Thanks fr2au
    It's nice to now have the numbers of the proper disks that I need.
    Now all I need is for someone to give me info on where they can be purchased?

I can send you a copy for free if you can provide a postal address

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by fr2au View Post
    I can send you a copy for free if you can provide a postal address
    PM sent

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Hi, Stanman,

Just in case, the top RJ45 connector of the Q! goes to the C1, and must be a crossover cable. That cable in normally supplied with the Q1, but any standard crossover will do. For whatever it may be worth, I think that the IP addresses that they use to communicate are 10.255.255.1 and 10.255.255.2, but those will never be seen on your network, as that port on the Q1 isn't bridged in any way to the lower port.

The lower RJ45 is for the network.

From what I remember, those are marked on the Q1, but it's not real easy to see.

Hopefully, the "SCSI like" cable between the two is all intact.

I'm not sure on the Q1, but I do know that some Fiery controllers will not boot until they see a connection to the printer, so please make sure that your SCSI and crossover are both good before powering on. Some of its larger cousins will boot if not connected, and its little cousins (like the B&W models) will not. I just never tried to power on a Q1 without being connected to the engine.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Hi, Stanman,

Just in case, the top RJ45 connector of the Q! goes to the C1, and must be a crossover cable. That cable in normally supplied with the Q1, but any standard crossover will do. For whatever it may be worth, I think that the IP addresses that they use to communicate are 10.255.255.1 and 10.255.255.2, but those will never be seen on your network, as that port on the Q1 isn't bridged in any way to the lower port.

The lower RJ45 is for the network.

From what I remember, those are marked on the Q1, but it's not real easy to see.

Hopefully, the "SCSI like" cable between the two is all intact.

I'm not sure on the Q1, but I do know that some Fiery controllers will not boot until they see a connection to the printer, so please make sure that your SCSI and crossover are both good before powering on. Some of its larger cousins will boot if not connected, and its little cousins (like the B&W models) will not. I just never tried to power on a Q1 without being connected to the engine.
    Thanks KenB
    I have pretty much been through those things and everything is connected properly with crossover cable etc.
    Is the network conection to the C1 using TCIP to communicate?
    If so is it set to DHCP and obtain ip address automatically?
    I think re-installing from restore disks will get me headed back in the right direction.
    One thing that I do wonder about is why the Fiery will not go into winXP without putting in the password.
    In normal use there is no monitor or keyboard conected to Fiery so how does it get into windows then?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    Thanks KenB
    I have pretty much been through those things and everything is connected properly with crossover cable etc.
    Is the network conection to the C1 using TCIP to communicate?
    If so is it set to DHCP and obtain ip address automatically?
    I think re-installing from restore disks will get me headed back in the right direction.
    One thing that I do wonder about is why the Fiery will not go into winXP without putting in the password.
    In normal use there is no monitor or keyboard conected to Fiery so how does it get into windows then?
    Hi again,

The Q1 supports TCP/IP, SPX/IPX (NetWare), and Appletalk. It will use DHCP to get IP, DNS, WINS, and domain information. In fact, DHCP is on by default.

Which OSes will you be printing from? Do you have any of the manuals? Keep in mind that copying stuff will be in the C1 manual, and everything print related will be in the Q1 manual.

If I recall correctly, the peripherals connected to the Q1 get disabled once the OS starts - that is in the motherboard BIOS on the Q1. Canon offers a FACI (Fiery Advanced Controller Interface) option to change that, but it does carry a fairly hefty pricetag to do so. The good news is that you can control the Q1 using Remote desktop. I don't remember offhand if the Q1 has it on by default - it may require a patch to turn it on.

Don't worry about the password coming into play when the Q1 boots, as it does not need to be logged into to work; everything that it normally does runs as services, so a login isn't necessary under normal use.

The best advise I can give, though, is to do just what you are about to - reimaging the Q1 back to factory specs to get a fresh start.

Note: if the Q1 does have the FACI kit I mentioned installed, reimaging won't make it go away. The FACI is actually a BIOS flash, which is permanent.

Here is a link to the Canon driver page so you can get the latest releases: Canon U.S.A: Support

(Don't worry, it's a public site, not a dealer site. I've found that over the years people have a tough time negotiating the Canon site if they're not already familiar with it.)
    Last edited by KenB; 11-28-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins