Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    alexdbm

Canon iR C5180 - Dept ID/Job Accounting

Hi All,

I have a Canon iR C5180 in my office. The color printing is absolutely insane. I've restricted color copies by using the Department ID function (two IDs: one for color and one for B/W -- also using the Allow Black Copy w/o an ID). However, every print job that goes to the copier is in color. I've figured out how to use Job Accounting in the drivers for the copier. However, if I send a color document to the copier and enter in the B/W code, it won't print it. How do I force it to come out B/W using the B/W copy code?

Alongside, is there an easier way to setup Job Accounting on the copier side? I'd rather not go to 50 computers individually to turn on Job Accounting.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar

Here is my best shot...

Job accounting will have to be enabled at the print driver level, on the PC's , copier cannot "broadcast" this change out to the PC's.

Set up two drivers for printing, one set up as a color driver, and one setup as a b/w print driver. I believe that can be accomplished along with Job Accounting.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdbm View Post
    Hi All,

I have a Canon iR C5180 in my office. The color printing is absolutely insane. I've restricted color copies by using the Department ID function (two IDs: one for color and one for B/W -- also using the Allow Black Copy w/o an ID). However, every print job that goes to the copier is in color. I've figured out how to use Job Accounting in the drivers for the copier. However, if I send a color document to the copier and enter in the B/W code, it won't print it. How do I force it to come out B/W using the B/W copy code?

Alongside, is there an easier way to setup Job Accounting on the copier side? I'd rather not go to 50 computers individually to turn on Job Accounting.

Thanks for all your help in advance!
    Which printer driver are you using: PCL5, PCL6, UFR, or PS?

What do you have your color selection set at when you print? If it's on auto select, and the driver has color in it, the job will go as color, and the B&W code won't work.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

alexdbm
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
    Job accounting will have to be enabled at the print driver level, on the PC's , copier cannot "broadcast" this change out to the PC's.

Set up two drivers for printing, one set up as a color driver, and one setup as a b/w print driver. I believe that can be accomplished along with Job Accounting.
    What I was trying to do was have the job sent from the computer to the copier, the copier would prompt the computer/user for a DeptID/password. From there, the copier would determine if color prints would occur or grayscale/B&W prints would occur.

How do you mean setup two drivers? Maybe setup two printers instead?

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Which printer driver are you using: PCL5, PCL6, UFR, or PS?

What do you have your color selection set at when you print? If it's on auto select, and the driver has color in it, the job will go as color, and the B&W code won't work.
    I'm using PCL5. Which would the best to use?

The color selection is set on auto. Even though it's set on auto, it's not possible to force the copier to print the document in B&W with the B&W code? My ideal output would be: send a color job, enter in the color code, get color prints and send a color job, enter in B&W code, get B&W prints.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdbm View Post
    What I was trying to do was have the job sent from the computer to the copier, the copier would prompt the computer/user for a DeptID/password. From there, the copier would determine if color prints would occur or grayscale/B&W prints would occur.

How do you mean setup two drivers? Maybe setup two printers instead?

I'm using PCL5. Which would the best to use?

The color selection is set on auto. Even though it's set on auto, it's not possible to force the copier to print the document in B&W with the B&W code? My ideal output would be: send a color job, enter in the color code, get color prints and send a color job, enter in B&W code, get B&W prints.
    There's the problem - the code has no control of the job itself. If the job has color in it, and you want it to print in B&W, "Auto" is allowing the job to go in color. Set the job to "B&W" instead of "Auto", and it will print.

Like MrFixit mentioned, install a second copy of the driver. (You can name each driver anything you like.) Set one to default to B&W, and the other "Color". It will then be a user training thing to get them to choose the right driver.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Canon iR C5180 - Dept ID/Job Accounting

I have this problem too and try to find solution
    thank you all of you

but i am use adv irc3320

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Canon iR C5180 - Dept ID/Job Accounting

I used this solution
    to fix insane number of color printing

1. set 2 id 1st limit color only 1 pages // 2nd is unlimit
    2. only who allow to color print can know 2nd id + password

It's just begin to see how it will be reduce number of use
    [personally i didn't think it will work after a few day user will tell other password hahaha]

let's see result
    I will report back and pardon me for my English.