Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

canon IR C5870U e004-0004

Hello,
    I am a long time lurker, first time poster.
    I have a IR C5870U for the front office that is giving me a E004-0004.
    Yesterday i bought a service manual for it, and it did give me a window on what is happening.
    I ohmed the thermisters out as they were cooling, they did go up in resistance as they cooled down.
    I then checked the connections in the back and on the fuser unit (I am a Xerox guy, i refuse to call it a Fixing unit)
    Then i reseated all the connectors on the DC pwb and where the thermisters plug into.
    After all this, i then went into diagnostics and viewed the fuser temp in real time and it went up in temp.
    What am i missing? The fuser roll and pressure roll heat up alright.
    When i go into diagnostics to clear the fault, is there supposed to be a fault code registered in the clear error screen?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    The only way to view the error codes is to go into Copier>Display>Err.

To clear, Copier>Function>Clear, highlight Err and press O.K. in bottom right corner of display.

Ok, so i was doing it right.
    Does this mean the DC driver pwb is bad? Looks expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
    The only way to view the error codes is to go into Copier>Display>Err.

To clear, Copier>Function>Clear, highlight Err and press O.K. in bottom right corner of display.

Try spacing out the connector on the fuser unit. It is the one with ac and dc lines and connects with a floating plug in the machine frame.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    some of the fixing codes respond to a reset with no further action, some require some intervention on your part. You will have to reset and see if it reocurrs. Here are the particulars for your error and subcode:

E004 -There is an error in the fixing assembly protection circuit.
    There is an open circuit or poor contact in the main thermistor (THM1, THM2, THM3) or sub thermistor (TH4, THM5, THM6). The AC driver PCB or the DC controller PCB has a fault.

Sub Code -0004 There is an SSR error in the fixing main heater.
    Check the main thermistor and the sub thermistor for an open
    circuit and poor contact; then, reset in service mode:
    COPIER>FUNCTION>CLEAR>ERR.

Could be as simple as a chunk of paper caught in the bulkhead connectors between the fixing feeder assembly and the rear frame.

Good luck!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

open front door, and turn the green knob of the fusing unit manually. if it not turns smoothly but feels somewhat hopping, have a look at the upper fuser roller coating, it tends to get loose partially from the aluminum, this results in different measures of the thermistors, getting the dc controller running wild

so, at first, replace the upper fuser roller, and second, reduce the fuser pressure to prevent this happens again. to do this, insert 2 m4 screws in the holes near the fuser pressing springs (the holes, where the transport secure screws once where) and drive them in until the nip (look between the rollers from the site) is approx. 7mm

hope this helps
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

What i have done

I really appreciate the responses, all were helpful in their own way.
    I shimmed the connector, but to no avail.
    I swapped the thermistors, same thing.
    In copier>display>analog the temps are as follows:
    UC-199
    UE-166
    LC-160
    LE-122
    EXC-212
    EXE-196

The fault is saying the UC and UE thermistors are open or damaged, but they register a temp, and it changes as the fuser roll cools down.
    Not sure where to go from here.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

believe me, start with the upper fuser roller, i have had this issue on several mashines. at least, it will be the cheepest start before you are going on changing overpriced pcb's
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Ummm....Do Xerox machines have part life counters?
    In Service mode go to COPIER/COUNTER and look at the life of the UFR....as the UFR wears it stops transferring heat to the thermistors correctly....my guess is that it's time for a refurb and if you've never done one before prepare to write off a large chunk of the day my friend.

The Xerox's i maintain, the fuser area is in the millions before it requires serious maintenance. Two experienced tech have replied in this thread with the same part, so i will follow their lead. I have located a fuser roll fairly inexpensively, i will be ordering it and will report back with the results.
    You all were great.

Thanks.