Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    IR3170 yellow toner is low

IR3170 yellow toner is low

Hi there, I've got a IR3170c thats displaying a message 'yellow toner is low replacement not yet needed' on the screen. An engineer who I trust was sent to this machine last week for the same problem, he told me he hoovered inside and cleaned the sensor - the one that takes a reading from the developer roller. He also fitted a new yellow Genuine Canon toner.

I have had a look and the machine is still clean inside, the yellow toner still has loads left but the machine thinks it needs replacing?

i think your trusted tech is wrong!

From the manual:-
    The machine is not equipped with a means (sensor) to directly check the level of toner inside the toner cartridge (all
    4 cartridges), and uses the measurements it takes of the patch images it forms on the photosensitive drum to find out
    the presence/absence of toner.
    <Particulars of Control>
    1) supplies toner to the inside of the developing unit.
    2) forms a patch image on the photosensitive drum, and reads its density using the patch image read sensor.
    3) compares the measurement against the reference value
    |
    v
    i) if measurement >= reference value,
    -> the machine assumes that toner exists inside the toner cartridge, and ends toner level detection control.
    ii) if measurement < reference value
    -> the machine repeats steps 1 through 3 a specific number of times; if the measurement still does not exceed the
    reference value, the machine will assume that toner does not exist inside the toner cartridge, and moves the
    developing rotary to the point of toner cartridge replacement and then indicates the message "No toner" on its
    control panel.

- when the toner cartridge access cover/front cover is opened/closed after the machine identifies the absence of toner
    (the machine is not equipped with a sensor to check the presence/absence of the toner cartridge; it will execute
    toner level detection control automatically when the toner cartridge access cover/front cover is opened and closed
    after it has identified the absence of toner regardless of the presence/absence of a cartridge).
    It takes about 70 sec for the machine to execute the control mechanism.

I have had a faulty cover sensor cause this problem because it did not run the toner detection control after the cartridge was replaced.
    hope this helps.

The hint is in the not yet needed .. this is not a fault but merely a prompt for the user to make sure he/she has one in stock .. it was added to the later versions of firmware ..