Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon W8400 firmware help, with printhead error e02802!

Re: Canon W8400 firmware help, with printhead error e02802!

Quote Originally Posted by mailderrick View Post
    What did you end up finding out? I am in a similar situation right now. I am trying to help a friend with their machine but they are far away and i do not want to make multiple trips. I have worked on many machines in the last 13 years but never thins model before. And we are a small printer shop so no access to canon support.
    Derrick

E2802

If a new Print Head is installed before upgrading the Firmware to at least 2.15, Error Code 2802 may occur. Instructions and the CD for updating the printer are included with the new print head, however, it sometimes gets overlooked by the customer.

Work Around:

Install the old (original) Print Head.
    Degrade the firmware back to 2.11,using the L-Printer Service Tool, reboot the printer.
    Upgrade the Firmware to 2.15 using the L-Printer Service Tool, reboot the printer.
    Install a new Print Head, check the Nozzle Print pattern for misfires.
    Perform appropriate adjustments.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts mailderrick's Avatar

One more question. They were in the middle of setting this machine up and deleted the driver and scrubbed the mac to get ready to set it back up when it needed a printhead and waste tank installed. Now that i have to use the L printer tool to downgrade the firmware and re upgrade so i can install the new head...how can i even connect to the canon at this point.. do i have to go in through a local port or is there a way for me to pull the ip address off the macine so i can ping it or try to set up a driver(although i think the mac won't let you set up the driver at all til it is at ready)

The requirements for the L Printer Tool are:
    1. The print driver must be installed on the PC or Laptop that is connected to the printer.
    2. The FUT file must be downloaded and unzipped on the PC or Laptop that is connected to the printer.
    3. The PC or Laptop needs to connect to the Printer, via the existing network configuration the customer is already using or a cross over Cat. 5 cable or a USB 2.0 cable.
    Note: USB is simpler to use, (No TCP/IP configuration is needed).

L Printer Tool Version 1.50
    When a problem on the printer occurs and an error code is displayed, effectively disabling the printer, this
    service tool allows you to bypass the error and aid in troubleshooting. Under the above conditions, the
    printer becomes disabled and cannot be flashed with firmware using the traditional methods.
    The L Printer Tool allows you to “bypass” the error condition which allows you to update the printer with firmware. This L Printer Tool also allows you to retrieve Status Print and Print inf files which allows you to better evaluate certain problems.
    see pdf>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>L Printer Tool.pdf

To flash/upgrade system software on the Large format printers the FUT file for the model must be downloaded. This FUT program contains the firmware to flash the printer. The L Printer tool needs this firmware to flash the printer.
    Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : imagePROGRAF W8400

1- select the FUT file to download
    2-select where to save the file on the HDD. The best method would be to create a folder and save the file in the newly created folder.
    3-select save and the file will start to download.
    4-file that was just downloaded is in a zipped format and needs to be unzipped or extracted so it can be used.
    Double click on the zipped file and the Win Zip Self-Extractor will open as in the image below. Now select [OK].
    5-after the file has been unzipped the Firmware update tool is ready to install and use or the firmware files are ready to be selected and used by the L Printer Tool.
    6-when the L Printer tool is used the program needs to select the path to the [.jdl] file that is actually the firmware file.
    C:\Large Format Printer\Firmware files\
    Now the the [jdl] file can be found & the L Printer tool is ready to use this file.

got it although one thing looks incorrect(or maybe i am wrong) it says if the new printhead is installed then to install l printer tool and downgrade..but what if the new printhead was installed and you get the same error (or an error) but the firmware was not upgraded. Is it still necessary to install L printer tool to "downgrade first" if it was not upgraded or can one simply put the old printhead back in and thruogh L Printer tools just upgrade and move forward fromt here?

got it although one thing looks incorrect(or maybe i am wrong) it says if the new printhead is installed then to install l printer tool and downgrade..but what if the new printhead was installed and you get the same error (or an error) but the firmware was not upgraded. Is it still necessary to install L printer tool to "downgrade first" if it was not upgraded or can one simply put the old printhead back in and thruogh L Printer tools just upgrade and move forward fromt here?
    Canon never explains things correct/u need to experiment most of the time-
    not sure if I would try the upgrade with the old print head

put in the old head/ run the printer tool/see if u can downgrade/ ?
    if u can > u may be on the road to success

Thanks. also i am ready to give this a try. I am looking at Canon's driver and support page. Does the L Printer tool go by another name on there? I just am not seeing it for some reason.Thank you again
    Derrick

Thanks. also i am ready to give this a try. I am looking at Canon's driver and support page. Does the L Printer tool go by another name on there? I just am not seeing it for some reason.Thank you again
    Derrick
    check your PM~~

UPDATE:
    here is the background on the machine as told to me also mixed with some of the experience i had with it.

Befoire they called me.
    The machine was given to them from someone, they decided to use it to print movie posters, they were not getting a color match so they tried different icc profiles, They then called me and over the phone i was not aware of exactly everything but i told them to try scrubbing the driver and do a fresh reload without any icc profiles and start there.
    (What i didn't know also at the time was the machine had just asked for all brand new inks after they only printed a couple of posters)

They call me back and say they now can not get it to connect to the Mac. I told them i would come check it out for them. I plug it in and turn it on only to see a waste tank error. I did the reset to see if anything else was wrong and then it came up with a print head error.
    I checked the rest of the machine best i could lubricated the carriage rod and told them to order those 2 parts and it should come up and then once it is at ready state they can load the drivers on the mac.

They called back and said the printhead is in and would like me to install it. I went up and installed the printhead using the L Printer tool and the commands on the printer to upgrade firmware..I tried both versions on the disk and downloaded it also from Canon's website. I tried it several times and every single way i could think. WIth the old hear, with the new head, donwgrading it first..etc.
    The only firmware version it would actually load is the 1.10, ifi loaded the new 2.15 it would say something about file not available. If i forced it it would act like it would download but would not actually take it.

Looking back now with the full history i am thinking it has a major problem.
    Are the main boards in these known to be bad(I thought i read something to that effect before)
    If it is a main board where is the best place to order and what is the approx cost.Any thoughts as to what may be going on is greatly appreciated
    Derrick

sd00

hi guys,

I need the L Printer Service Tool to able to downgrade due to print head replacement.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sd00 View Post
    hi guys,

I need the L Printer Service Tool to able to downgrade due to print head replacement.

thanks

Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : imagePROGRAF W8400

LFP Cheat Sheet.jpg

There are two ways to upgrade the system software on the Large format printer.
    One is using the FUT, Firmware Upgrade Tool and the other is using the L Printer Tool.
    The FUT is designed so the customer can flash or upgrade the printer on there own.
    The printer must be in normal operating conditions to use the FUT.
    This article does not cover using the FUT to upgrade the printer.
    The second method is using the L Printer Tool.
    This is what the technicians can use when the printer is having problems.
    The requirements for the L Printer Tool are:
    1. The print driver must be installed on the PC or Laptop that is connected to the printer.
    2. The FUT file must be downloaded and unzipped on the PC or Laptop that is connected to the printer.
    3. The PC or Laptop needs to connect to the Printer, via the existing network configuration the customer is already using or a cross over Cat. 5 cable or a USB 2.0 cable.
    Note: USB is simpler to use, (No TCP/IP configuration is needed).

To flash/upgrade system software on the Large format printers the FUT file for the model must be downloaded.
    This FUT program contains the firmware to flash the printer.
    The L Printer tool needs this firmware to flash the printer.

L Printer Service TooL
    Applicable printers
    Canon ImagePROGRAF W8400Pg
    Canon ImagePROGRAF W6400Pg
    Canon ImagePROGRAF W8400Dye
    Canon ImagePROGRAF W6400Dye
    ImagePROGRAF iPF500/510
    ImagePROGRAF iPF5000/5100
    ImagePROGRAF iPF600/610/6100/6200/6000S/605/6300/6350/6300S
    ImagePROGRAF iPF700/710/720
    ImagePROGRAF iPF9000/8000/8100/9000S/8000S/8300/8300S
    ImagePROGRAF iPF810/820/815/825