Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Canon IR 6000 Connectivity?

just to make sure you got the setting right first..

have you define the finisher?

look at control panel , IR6000 printer properties > device setting >output options
    select your matching finisher.

then when you want to print, klik finishing > print style booklet printing, also select saddle stitch.
    dont forget to choose all pages on page range you want to print.

If your setting is already right, probably you need to reinstall the driver. Try using PCL5e driver. you can get it from canon usa website.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Is that PCL5 or 6?

I can't find a listing for either one. (Either that version or date.)

Update to the latest version of the driver - you can get it from Canon U.S.A: Support

I think that Acrobat 9 may be having issues with the older version of the driver.

Booklets are ALWAYS an issue, regardless of printer or application.

But keep at it - you'll eventually get it.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Will they be able to access all the "toys" on the copier? I assume the printing is actually taking place through the parallel port,, and I don't know if you can access all the features of the copier in that way. The driver has to have a "get device status" conversation with the copier,, I don't know for sure if the parallel connection can do that...

What say you KenB?

Hi, MrFixit,

Not sure on how it's connected, "Directly hooked up the IR 6000 networking device to my desktop using an ethernet wire and printer cable. (no router)" sounds like it might be both.

"Get Device Status" (AKA Canon "DIAS") won't work over a parallel cable on an iR6000 because it uses SMTP (port 161) to get its info. So that means that the "toys" must be configured manually if being used with a parallel port.

The good news is that all the finishing features, as well as mailboxes, will work with parallel. In fact, if the machine had a fax board (which the iR5000 / 6000 can't), you could PC fax as well. Of course, though, scanning is a network only attraction. You'll also not get the ability to see mailbox names, and job accounting.

I had an account a few years ago that had completely standardized on HP Jet Direct boxes, and wouldn't hear of anything else. The Jet Directs, of course, would only work parallel. They never had any issues.
    Last edited by KenB; 02-23-2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added info
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thumbs up Canon IR 6000 Connectivity Update:

Ok,
    I got the Canon IR 6000 to talk to my desk top Windows pc without the use of a router.
    (sort of)
    Here's what I did.
    Thanks to all your suggestions, I hooked up a parallel port cable and ethernet wire directly to my computer. Then I downloaded PLC 6 software from Canon web site.
    Through trial and error I figured out how to get the software to run the booklet maker.
    Now I can print emailed newsletters direct from pc. Folded, collated and saddle stitched.
    Only issue now is the newsletter is 8 pages of 8 1/2" x 11" printed onto 11" x 17"
    folded to finished size of 8 1/2" x 11".
    The page images are scaled down too small and don't fill the sheet.
    I need to figure out how to enlarge the pages about 20% to fit the page.
    I'll keep poking at it.
    So, thanks for the help.
    Much appreciated.

One final question...
    Why did IKON insist that a router is needed to make this work?
    How would a router have helped me?

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    I will say that your hookup method sounds a bit bizarre,, you should only need either the parallel cable or the ethernet cable, not both! If you are using an ethernet cable to plug into your PC, it would normally be through a hub/switch/router, or the use of a crossover ethernet cable. The crossover cable negates the need of external hardware to do the network signaling back and forth, the transmit wires on one end are hooked to the receive wires on the other and vice versa. I too would suggest the network appliance to set up your network,,, it is just how it is done. Remove the ethernet cable connection from one end, leaving the parallel cable hooked up and try a print job,,, I will bet that that is how your printing is taking place!

Judging by the lack of discussion of IP addressing, I would say that the Ethernet cable isn't doing anything, and everything is going through the parallel cable.

I, too, would not normally recommend this method; as I mentioned in my previous post, you lose:

1.) TWAIN scanning
    2). Auto configuration
    3). Mailbox names
    4). Job Accounting
    5). Any other fun stuff that's only on the web page (RUI - Remote User Interface)
    6). Sharing becomes much more complicated if another workstation is introduced

In a nutshell, parallel printing is a last resort, but it does work.

I'm curious... If you have your Ethernet connector (RJ45 jack) on your PC connected straight to the iR6000, how how are you getting Internet access / email? Please don't tell me you're using a - gulp - dial-up connection with a modem. Ouch!! Maybe you have 2 network cards in your PC?

As far as the reduction issue goes, please consider the fact that your originals are Letter sized, or 8.5" x 11". When you reduce to fit 2 on a page, you are reducing to Statement size, or 5.5" x 8.5".

If you do the math, 11" down to 8.5" is 77%, while 8.5" to 5.5" is 64%. That is why there is some undesired blank space.

If the ultimate intent is to create this size booklet, it's best to create the document in Statement size when first creating it, then using the booklet making function to lay it out for you, without any ill effects.

You said that these are PDF files. but do you have the original files, such as Publisher, PageMaker, etc...? If you do, you may be able to make the changes there, re-Distill the files, then print the resulting PDFs. (or print directly from that application).

You also said that these files were emailed to you, so you may need to request the original files from your customer. Hopefully, either you have the native application, or maybe they can make the changes, then send you the new PDFs.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madu132 View Post
    have you define the finisher?

look at control panel , IR6000 printer properties > device setting >output options
    select your matching finisher.

Good call. Print drivers need to be told what finishing options you have.

Probably not an issue for you but speed is sacrificed with the parallel cable. The ethernet has like 10x the bandwidth of a parallel port.