Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IR3100cn Unusual Image Distortion

If you can not get the Copier to work as a stand alone machine, I do not know what else to say. All Image Runner Copiers can run as a stand alone machine .
    That should be your First Priority / u have to address this first.

If you do not trust a trained & qualified CANON tech. to look at this issue, you are just wasting your time.
    If this CANON copier does not print out quality prints as a stand alone> it will never operate up to other standards
    you require.

I don't know where you're from , but I have worked for a major Canon Authorized Dealership for over twenty years , and our goal is to the customer first.

Technician
    My intention is for this copier to work as a copier, however it doesn't at present, I am trying to understand the reason it will not copy properly and have narrowed it down to only a few items thanks to the great help and understanding of every other poster on this topic, I'm getting ready to think you're actually the forum troll here since you haven't added anything helpful and all I've done is re-explain and re-state what I believed to be the obvious to you. Thanks to the input of other members of this lovely community I can now make an informed decision as how best to proceed instead of simply relying solely on what a photocopier engineer says when he comes out and I can avoid potentially paying out for work that doesn't need doing. I know where I want the technicians to start and if they come back telling me that I need a new drum unit or that a particular sensor/motor has gone, I can confidently question that and make sure their answer makes sense given what I have so far learned. I refuse to believe people haven't attempted to con you with business like photocopier repair, if it is clear that someone doesn't understand anything about the problem they are expieriencing then it's pretty much standard practice for people over here to at least attempt to get a bit of extra cash out of them if not simply to punish them for their ignorance, perhaps that's just how it is in England.

Quote Originally Posted by PCTech View Post
    My intention is for this copier to work as a copier, however it doesn't at present, I am trying to understand the reason it will not copy properly and have narrowed it down to only a few items thanks to the great help and understanding of every other poster on this topic, I'm getting ready to think you're actually the forum troll here since you haven't added anything helpful and all I've done is re-explain and re-state what I believed to be the obvious to you. Thanks to the input of other members of this lovely community I can now make an informed decision as how best to proceed instead of simply relying solely on what a photocopier engineer says when he comes out and I can avoid potentially paying out for work that doesn't need doing. I know where I want the technicians to start and if they come back telling me that I need a new drum unit or that a particular sensor/motor has gone, I can confidently question that and make sure their answer makes sense given what I have so far learned. I refuse to believe people haven't attempted to con you with business like photocopier repair, if it is clear that someone doesn't understand anything about the problem they are expieriencing then it's pretty much standard practice for people over here to at least attempt to get a bit of extra cash out of them if not simply to punish them for their ignorance, perhaps that's just how it is in England.
    What is a FORUM TROLL/ ?? In this business you get what u pay for/ you acquired junk/ you now have acquired free knowledge/ so now you are prepared to tell the service tech how to do his job. I can see by your responses that you trust nobody, so why should any one trust you in your business.

Technician
    You are clearly not very internet savvy, a 5 second google search would have returned this : Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and would have saved you from having to ask another pointless question.

Trust is earned, I am very sceptical of anyone who charges work out by the hour, especially when it comes to complex machinery. Are you saying a mechanic has never tried to charge you for new plugs when you didn't really need them, or told you that your brake linings were shot when they really had another 5,000 miles on them easily? Everybody that works for a living is in it for money and if they believe that they can get away with charging me for a drum replacement and laser re-alignment as well as a number of new boards and cards, then I'm positive they will try it on as many already have.

The only person that needs to trust me in my business is my employer, and I have earned that trust by working hard and getting results, until somebody external to the business proves themselves to us we have no reason to trust them and it's served us VERY well so far, if you came to work in England you'd have your pants pulled down so many times thanks to your obvious naivety. I think you should read the following and have a long think about it... "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" or if you're the religious type how about Proverbs 17:28 "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise:
    and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

Sorry if anyone else has been offended by this tirade, this wasn't my intention when posting here, but I can't stand ignorant people.

You are a waste of time to all the hard working tech's and other experts who give up their time and knowledge on this website. It is difficult enough to study/train & work on these products. You came to this site looking for free information, it has been provided. My advise is, use your own tools and expert knowledge to fix the issues on hand. That should not be to hard, you already had all the answers before your initial post.

End of Story

oh teckat...

oh teckat, ist this the way you treat the people who needs help? is this also the way you treat your (paying) customers? why do you use bold-face? and so many question marks? i know why: you can not scream here, so you express yourself like this. congratulation!

i am brandnew here in this forum. this is the first thread i read here and i hope, you are the only guy with this kind of attitude.

with kind regards

mark

Quote Originally Posted by markyy View Post
    oh teckat, ist this the way you treat the people who needs help? is this also the way you treat your (paying) customers? why do you use bold-face? and so many question marks? i know why: you can not scream here, so you express yourself like this. congratulation!

i am brandnew here in this forum. this is the first thread i read here and i hope, you are the only guy with this kind of attitude.

with kind regards

mark
    you do not know who I am/ keep your judgments to yourself

Technician
    Frankly teckat you have single handedly lowered my opinion of "certified" canon copier technicians, I do not know who you are, but just like markyy above, I know what you are... an ignorant "expert" who doesn't take the time to understand what is really going on. If you don't actually know the answer to something, don't be afraid to say "I don't know", when somebody comes to me with an answer for everything, they'd better damn well be sure that it's 100% correct, bad information is much much worse than no information at all. I'm very thankful that I took the time to understand a little about my problem before you came in telling me it was the laser unit which I can 100% state that it clearly isn't. I actually think you post false information on here so that people can't reliably find the tools to help themselves, sure if it comes down to replacing the laser unit or having a device aligned I will leave it to the experts, but I'm a technical person and I have my certifications no doubt in many subjects you're more than ignorant of and just like any other "geek" in the world I will go out attempting to find a solution to a problem before I pay someone to swap some simple electronic components around.

If you post stupid questions on a public forum, expect to be judged... If I knew what company you worked for I'd make sure to advise anyone I knew away from them.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts smiley's Avatar
    pc tech im sory for telling you this but this furom is for technical personel of canon only.it is hard for you to understand what teckat want to suggest to you.caused your just an end user your not trained to fix the machine you can make problem worse.its hard for you to understand what teckat want you to do.if you have a service manual it doesnt mean you can fix it thers alot of things you have to understand so call your tech and let him fix it.
    there is no glory without sacrifice

Technician
    Thank you smiley, a technician was always going to do the work that I cannot, attempting to fault find the electronic systems in the device was my only intention here. A very easily attained A+ certification in computers is enough to handle swapping RAM and processor boards in these devices and had we been able to track down the fault to a specific component other than the three possibilities we currently have then I would have sourced and ordered the required item and seen where it got me. I know much better than to go rooting around inside a photocopier without proper training. I've seen all the classic mistakes performed by a few people while I've been in my line of work, usually when a less thoughtful staff member decides to have a go and does something like vacuuming out all the developer from some of the larger copiers I've been around or attempting to "clean" some of items that really shouldn't be touched. Frankly I'm surprised I haven't seen more people injure themselves inside copiers. Believe me when I say that I'm overly cautious when it comes to procedures I am not trained in (measure twice, cut once applies almost universally), however having seen the inside of the particular panel in question before (when the copier company we hire to look after our commissioned devices came to do some maintenance), I was certain it was within my skills. It's unfortunate we haven't been able to come to a resolution with this device but most of the people in this thread have been very helpful and very well informed! So thank you all for your kind help, I think the technician will be fixing the copier with the mechanical fault instead of the one in question here.

Once again, thank you all for your assistance, if you ever need help with any of the following, let me know...

Certified In:
    Cisco IOS Devices (CCNA),
    HP Procurve Network Devices,
    any Microsoft Server Software (From NT3.5, SQL 6.0 and Exchange 5.5 to Server 2008 R2, SQL 2008 and Exchange 2010, and everything in-between including Clustering, Sharepoint, MS CRM, RIS/WDS, Windows Media Service, I'm certied in and regularly work with the LOT (MCSE)
    Microsoft Development Technologies, from VB 5.0 all the way through to .Net 3.5/4.0 (MCTS in Windows, Web and Distributed Application Development, as well as MCDBA)
    Java Development
    IBM AS/400 Maintenance, Development and Migration
    Asterisk Telephony and general IP Telephony
    General PC Repair and Server Maintenance

Trained In :
    HP Laser Printer and Plotter Repair
    HP Blade Server Installation
    iSCSI Concepts and Deployment Methodologies
    Fibre Channel SAN Arcitechture
    Advanced Internetworking (so RIP, BGP, OSPF, etc)

Randomly Aquired Knowledge :

C, C++, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby (Once you've got C++ down, you can deal with ANYTHING)
    Data Cabling including Fibre termination and splicing

Basically, ANY business computing issue, give me a shout, I'll be more than happy to share my knowledge to thank you all for your time, but please bear in mind that I'm employed full time so I can't take on any work contracts at the moment.

Mike