Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kewlice33

Putting up a copy center using Canon copiers. Advise needed.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site and has zero knowledge when it comes to copier troubleshooting. It has been our family business to run a copy center even though we, the family owners, have very little knowledge when it comes to copier troubleshooting. Simply put, we are business owners who run copy centers with our own paid technicians.

Now, it's my time to establish my own copy center. My initial plan is to use 2 units of Canon IR6000 OR 1 unit of Canon IR6000 and 2 units of Canon NP6050. Unfortunately, I am limited with these two models. Considering that I have no background whatsoever in repairing copiers, what could you advise a business owner like me in starting this kind of business. My father was once a successful business owner running a copy center, though he doesn't have enough knowledge on copiers. Any advise is much appreciated.

P.S. I'm not sure if this is the proper forum but I would also be utilizing a Risograph RP 3100. Any feedback about this machine?

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    2 IR's vs 1 IR and 2NP's? If you took the covers off you'd have a hard time telling them apart but there are important differences. You can expect about 80-100k clicks between calls for a NP6050, but an IR6000 can average 200-300k clicks between calls, even going 500k from one web to another isn't uncommon.
    The NP6050 isn't going to have the copy quality the IR6000 has.

Option 1 gives you better copy quality and reliability, but I wouldn't try and make more then 250k per copier per month.
    Option 2 gives you more production capability, but expect more service calls and have a less critical eye for copy quality.

I don't know much on which would be more profitable option for your business though. The cost per copy for digital a lot cheaper than analog, but I'm guessing you can get those NP's real cheap. IMHO I'd go with the 2 IR's, I think in the long run you would be better off.

kewlice33
    Thanks D_L_P for the very informative response. I really appreciate it! It gave me an idea on what to expect on having to service these two models.

I'm not sure if this helps but the units I'll be getting are second hand units, the NPs I believe are refurbs, the IRs are used corporate machines from abroad. I'm from Philippines and the NPs are priced around $970 here while the IRs I can get at around $1,800. Majority of consumers here prefer low-cost prints (as low as a penny!) with so-so quality and cheap papers. But there's still a market segment who prefers quality over quantity.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts smiley's Avatar
    san ka dito sa philipines?go with two ir and you will satisfied of its peformance.as what D_L_P said low cost per copy but good copy quality.very good machine but 5020 or 6020 are newer than 6000.and about riso go with fr or gr.not with rp its no good.and rz also good.
    there is no glory without sacrifice

kewlice33
    @smiley We're based here in Isabela sir/mam. It's good to know that there are other Filipinos in this forum. Thanks for the advice, I think we'll go with the IRs. Regarding the Risograph RP 3100, I already ordered the machine unfortunately. I just hope that it'll serve me well. Are you also in the copy center business? Where are you based?

I think two IRs are good choice as what D_L_P and smiley said im also a filipino and also engage in a copy center bussines here in Navotas City Manila FR and GR are goof too. unfortunately i had a Ricoh Aficio and Gestetner CopyPrinter. but given an oportunity i would buy an IR.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts smiley's Avatar
    we are engage in canon and riso graph.i got trained in toshiba xerox and canon in malaysia and singapore.my previos imployer is lagranja copier mart a multibrand copier importer.but now im working in canon and riso.canon is the best for me and in digital duplicator riso is the best but depends on the models.you got a right choice in ir but go to 5020 a slower machine got little services than a faster one but the faster the machine the life of the drum got longer.good luck
    there is no glory without sacrifice

kewlice33
    @Smiley Thanks for the advise, it really means a lot. I see that you've got a pretty good training there.

@Joelzkie Got your point. How much do you charge for your photocopying services? What do you think of the ROI if I'll be using the Canon IRs considering that they're priced twice as much with that of the Canon NPs?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tinnyjay's Avatar
    Why dont you try Toshiba E-studio 600,E-studio 720 or E-studio 850?
    Estimated Toner Yield 60,100 pages @ 5% and costs 50$-75 $.
    Mnthly volume 600.000 monthly duty cycle.
    Developer Life Cycle 600.000 Copies.
    Drum Life 600.000 Copies.

For my copy center i use a Ricoh Aficio and a Gestetner Copyprinter (Digital Duplicator) on photocopy i charge 0.50 per copy on a sub. 16 paper and 1.00 for sub 20,On digital duplicator "RISO" i charge 100 pesos per original per ream excluding paper well it also depend on your location and the volume that you make. i make 3,000 to 5,000 copies a day or 6 to 10 reams a day. my ROI is 6 to 8 months as per the volume and cost of my supplies and consumables. as a starter look for a good location, compute your cost per copy divide it to your price per copy and you will get your income.
    cost per copy include your supplies, consumable cost and electricity.
    Well they are twice more than the NP's coz we are seeing the initial cash out. we may consider it as a gamble but IR's are cost efficient due to the the copy quality and the scan once copy many feature an economical machine. but a little waiting on the warm up time but above all it is a good machine