Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: E 540-8005

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

E 540-8005

I have had some issues recently with Canon S-1 Finishers on 2270 type machines throwing E540-8005 codes. These have had single bins (I know about the harness issues with the dual bin). A lot of the time, it is the fuse on the finisher controller board, but I think that is just a symptom of the issue. The bin will be up into the mechanical stop (bends it actually). I can crank it down and sometimes get a reset or replace the controller board and it works for awhile. I have tried to replace the bin harness on rare occasion and that seems to also fix them, but I have one that has been kicking my butt recently where putting a board on it buys me about a week to two weeks before it comes back. Last time, I changed the tray harness and it coded out again after about 10 days. I have looked over the bulletins for this finisher, but unless I missed something, they mostly deal with the dual bin set up, which is not the case with this one.

Is the bin motor something that goes bad on these? I have never replaced one before, but obviously changing the board is not fixing this long term.

Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    E 540-8005

you may have an 24vdc electrical short somewhere to FU3 / that is for the shift tray motor M1 causes that fuse to blow/ or if something is binding up that tray >fuse will blow

how many times did that fuse blow ?/ was it on different copiers ??
    have u tried dip switch a re set>>>With the copier "ON' turn ON all 4 dip switches, cheat the finisher door switch, press and hold SW2 until the LED stops flashing. Then turn off copier, turn off dip switches and turn copier back on. Check to see if the finisher initializes and if the problem is resolved.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I have not done the 4 dip switches routine on this particular machine, but have tried that in the past with no success on another. Will see about it on this one as well. What exactly is it supposed to do?

This machine has blown 3 fuses in a 6 month period with two being in the last 3 weeks.

I have had this code on several machines in the past. Sometimes it resets after I take the tray out of the physical stop and sometimes it is fine after replacing the board. On rare occasions, I have replaced the tray harness. Until this machine, I have managed to get them fixed one way or another, but my usual fixes are not working on this one.

E 540-8005

U say it re sets after u pull out tray/ have u check that up direction sensor PI3>

+stack tray HP sensor (PI10) lower limit sensor
    +stack tray clock sensor (PI7)
    if u remove that back plastic rear cover under tray, to expose back plate>do u see two wear marks, if so put some lube on them.
    PI3 is attached to the shaft of the stack tray paper holder arms.
    PI..jpg

sensor arm stops the tray in up direction When the black curved fingers are pulled down by hand the sensor arm should also stick out.
    that E540 code does not always mean Fuses are blown.
    A good fuse will read 24 volts DC on both sides of the fuse. A bad fuse will read 24 volts DC on only one side of the fuse.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Isn't there a sensor on the back frame near the top, like a limit sensor,, or is that only on the models that have the two trays? If that sensor or harness to it is flaky, it could run to the top and bind off and blow the fuse...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Sorry not to have gotten back on this one. To answer a couple of questions:

When the tray is working, it is fine for movement, etc.

The 540's I have been getting are blown fuses (I checked).

The only time there is a sensor on the top is for the dual bin set up. (This is a single bin).

As far as I can tell, the mechanical parts for the sensors involved are working ok. There appear to be no excessive wear marks, etc.

Things replaced/tried so far that have not fixed it:

Harness between tray and finisher controller board.
    Harness between finisher controller and main machine
    Repeated controller boards (treating the symptoms, but not fixing the issue)
    Clipped wire harness ties on harness going from the controller to the tray (thought I might be on to something there as clipping ties on Canon's has been known to remedy quite a bit of goofy stuff).

Current fix (and probably last straw for this finisher) is I replaced the bin motor about 2 weeks ago.

My recent theory on these is the controller "loses" where the bin is at because the pulse count gets off. At some point, it drives it up too far into the stop and more often than not, blows the fuse on the controller board.

I have talked to a board repair facility and also another tech desk and none have any real clear cut answers as to why the machines do this although I got a lot of "good lucks" and "let us know what you find" type comments. One of them did mention the motor as a shot in the dark and the more I got to thinking about it (and also thinking about how motors have caused "noise" issues in the past) I figured I would give it a shot.

Will see how it goes here for a bit and post the results. (Or if you don't see a post, perhaps that means its fixed.. /crosses fingers ).

E 540-8005

Numerous & or different blown fuses on S1 finisher/ need to address a binding or short issue.
    Can u identify what fuses have been blown. check the finisher manual wiring diagram to pin point possible cause of short/overloads

(A good fuse will read 24 volts DC on both sides of the fuse. A bad fuse will read 24 volts DC on only one side of the fuse.)
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Same fuse every time. I think it is 504 (or something that ends in a 4). Top left hand corner of the board. According to the board repair guy I talked to, that fuse is for the tray motor.

It is not bound up. When it goes out, I come in and the tray is into the metal stop bracket to the point it bent it. (IE, the motor tried to drive the tray up when it was not possible because of the stop). To me, this fits my theory that the board has "lost count" where the tray is and thinks it needs to go up.

E 540-8005

Quote Originally Posted by Klydon View Post
    Same fuse every time. I think it is 504 (or something that ends in a 4). Top left hand corner of the board. According to the board repair guy I talked to, that fuse is for the tray motor.

It is not bound up. When it goes out, I come in and the tray is into the metal stop bracket to the point it bent it. (IE, the motor tried to drive the tray up when it was not possible because of the stop). To me, this fits my theory that the board has "lost count" where the tray is and thinks it needs to go up.

FU3

have u replaced the stack tray shift motor & Finisher pcb at same time
    ?

something interrupts 24 vdc to M1/ that is why fuse goes
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Yes, I have replaced both at the same time.

I have another machine I am going to be replacing both on at the same time. Same symptoms and procedures as the first one (harness replaced, etc). This time, it lasted about 6 weeks before blowing out the fuse again. Hopefully the motor is going to prove to be the solution on these.