Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CANON IR 3170

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

CANON IR 3170

WORKING ON A CANON IR 3170. "CUSTOMER SAYS"... THEY ONLY TOOK OUT THE BLACK TONER CART. (BECAUSE MACHINE WAS ASKING FOR TONER) THE CARTRIDGE DID NOT FEEL EMPTY SO THEY REINSTALLED IT. NOW THE MACHINE IS MAKING A REALLY BAD NOISE LIKE A MACHINE GUN. I REMOVED THE LEFT SIDE PANEL AND CAN SEE THE TONER CAROUSEL TURNING. IT WILL ROTATE COMPLETELY DURING WARM UP , BUT, THEN WHEN IT IS ROTATEING TO POSITION THE BLACK TONER TO THE DOOR ,TO BE REPLACED IT STOPS AND THE NOISE BEGINS. THE NOISE IS THERE WITH OR WITHOUT THE BLACK TONER IN THE MACHINE. DON'T REALLY KNOW THIS MACHINE. LOVE THOSE CAROUSELS DON'T YOU? I'M SURE SOMEONE OUT THERE IS SMARTER THAN ME ON THIS ONE!
    THANKS!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    CANON IR 3170

Quote Originally Posted by copierlady View Post
    WORKING ON A CANON IR 3170. "CUSTOMER SAYS"... THEY ONLY TOOK OUT THE BLACK TONER CART. (BECAUSE MACHINE WAS ASKING FOR TONER) THE CARTRIDGE DID NOT FEEL EMPTY SO THEY REINSTALLED IT. NOW THE MACHINE IS MAKING A REALLY BAD NOISE LIKE A MACHINE GUN. I REMOVED THE LEFT SIDE PANEL AND CAN SEE THE TONER CAROUSEL TURNING. IT WILL ROTATE COMPLETELY DURING WARM UP , BUT, THEN WHEN IT IS ROTATEING TO POSITION THE BLACK TONER TO THE DOOR ,TO BE REPLACED IT STOPS AND THE NOISE BEGINS. THE NOISE IS THERE WITH OR WITHOUT THE BLACK TONER IN THE MACHINE. DON'T REALLY KNOW THIS MACHINE. LOVE THOSE CAROUSELS DON'T YOU? I'M SURE SOMEONE OUT THERE IS SMARTER THAN ME ON THIS ONE!
    THANKS!

The Black Developing unit is packed with toner/ CL7 clutch probably is bad

Replace the Black Developing unit and CL7 (Toner Supply clutch in the Multi-Drive assembly)

i your not a tech/ call for service
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Ok. Sounds simple. But is it easy? I am not a canon girl. Konica is my machine. Canon is threatening to me. Should i pass on this one or dive in? Thanks.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts CorkyShark's Avatar
    It does sound like the black developing unit. They are known to seize up. It is not to hard to change out, do you have a manual?

Its very easy to replace the devloper.
    Remove the black toner. Remove the top cover and left cover. Remove the protection plate over the developer carousel. On the left side in front of the machine right under the cover where you put in the toner there is a switch, put a screwdriver or something in there and the carousel can move freely. Rotate it around until the black developer is facing upwards.

The developer unit is mounted with one screw in the front. If i remember correctly it is a screw with a big head and a white plastic spacer behind it. Remove it and pull the developer out from the top.

I dont remember if this is totally accurate since it been a few years since i worked on this type of machine. Luckly they are almost completely gone from my district. Worst color machine from Canon ever.

Sorry for my bad English, im a scandinavian
    Last edited by vidarb; 04-27-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

CANON IR 3170

the Clutch also needs to be replaced/ CL7 (Toner Supply clutch in the Multi-Drive assembly)

it is a waste of time if u don't replace it now

CANON IR 3170

Ok. Sounds simple. But is it easy? I am not a canon girl. Konica is my machine. Canon is threatening to me. Should i pass on this one or dive in? Thanks.

play it safe on this model/ call for a Canon trained tech/ this model has issues / u can run in to a mess

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Ok guys, thanks for the info. I'll let ya know how it goes. And no i don't have a manual. This customer came from a internet purchase it had issues as soon as they got it. We don't sell canon, but we service what we can get in this economy!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vidarb View Post
    its very easy to replace the devloper.
    Remove the black toner. Remove the top cover and left cover. Remove the protection plate over the developer carousel. On the left side in front of the machine right under the cover where you put in the toner there is a switch, put a screwdriver or something in there and the carousel can move freely. Rotate it around until the black developer is facing upwards.

The developer unit is mounted with one screw in the front. If i remember correctly it is a screw with a big head and a white plastic spacer behind it. Remove it and pull the developer out from the top.

I dont remember if this is totally accurate since it been a few years since i worked on this type of machine. Luckly they are almost completely gone from my district. Worst color machine from canon ever.

Sorry for my bad english, im a scandinavian
    your english is better than my scandinavian !

CANON IR 3170

Ok guys, thanks for the info. I'll let ya know how it goes. And no i don't have a manual. This customer came from a internet purchase it had issues as soon as they got it. We don't sell canon, but we service what we can get in this economy!

good luck, remember> buyer beware