Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tech25

Question Canon IR C5870u scan to email

I’m the new IT guy for a firm and have a problem with the IR 5870u they are using. The issue is that folks want tot scan to email. I’ve tried statically assigning an IP as well as using DHCP. I have checked and re-check all general setting and everything checks out. The printer can ping everywhere both internally and externally. We are not using WINS anything but I still get an error. Any suggestions?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon IR C5870u scan to email

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    I’m the new IT guy for a firm and have a problem with the IR 5870u they are using. The issue is that folks want tot scan to email. I’ve tried statically assigning an IP as well as using DHCP. I have checked and re-check all general setting and everything checks out. The printer can ping everywhere both internally and externally. We are not using WINS anything but I still get an error. Any suggestions?
    what error ???

set up the imageRUNNER-iR Series
    E-mail and I-Fax through E-mail server
    1.Make sure you have all of your TCP/IP information set up (IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS Server (if one), Host Name, and Domain name of your Domain) before you begin.
    2. Enter into the Network Settings and Select E-mail/I-Fax.
    3. If you are setting this up for SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) to send E-mail and I-Fax, enter the IP address or Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of your mail server in the SMTP Server section. For example: mail_server.organization.company.com. Then enter the email address that will be the default sender in the SMTP Address field.
    4. If you use POP3 and want to receive e- imageRUNNER mail and I-Faxes, fill in the IP address or FQDN of your POP3 server and the account added for the imageRUNNER-iR. The password is optional and needs to be entered if set on the e-mail account of the imageRUNNER-iR. Set the POP interval (how often the machine will log in and check for mail).
    5. Reboot the device.
    * Note - AUTHENTICATION ISSUES -
    -If the SMTP mail server requires authentication for sending email, enter Encryption/Authentication login information (SMTP authentication via a username and password).
    - For the models that do not support SMTP authentication, the administrator will need to set up a SMTP Relay.

i you have an imagePass:
    Setting Up Email Services on the imagePASS:
    When the imageRUNNER is connected with an imagePASS controller, you have 2 options for setting up email services: 1. Using the imagePASS's email capability - Enable and configure Email Services through Setup on the imagePASS and send email using the imagePASS's interface (select Scan Job option). This option will have access to the Fiery Address Book on the imagePASS. This method is what is further explained in this article.
    2. Using the optional Universal Send Kit - Must install the appropriate Universal Send Kit. Configure Email Services through Additional Functions, System Settings, Network Settings, E-mail/I-fax Settings on the copier LCD screen. You can send email using the Send tab on the copier LCD screen and the imagePASS will allow the email packets sent from the copier to pass through. This option will have access to the copier's Address Book.
    Setting Up Email Services on the imagePASS
    :
    In order to have E-mail and I-Fax capabilities, you must first enable E-mail Services at the imagePASS:

1. Select Run Setup. Confirm that you wish to enter Setup mode by hitting Yes.
    2. Select Network Setup.
    3. Choose Service Setup.
    4. Hit Email Setup.
    5. For the 'Enable Email Services' prompt, select Yes.
    6. Follow the prompts, entering the required information to configure the email settings (see the attached PDF for more information).
    7. Save your changes and exit Setup mode.

This option enables the imagePASS to use Email or Internet Fax as a means of communication for a variety of purposes, including printing PostScript, PDF, and TIFF files, and sending scanned files as an outgoing Email or Internet Fax.
    For more detailed information on configuring the imagePASS, please see the imagePASS Configuration Guide included on the User Documentation CD.
    To Scan an Original and Send it as an Email using the imagePASS
    :

1. Select Scan Job from the imagePASS menu
      Load your original(s) in ADF or on platen glass.
    2. Hit Source and enter your desired settings:
      - Document Source (ADF or Platen)
      - Original Size
      - Orientation
      - Sides (Single or Duplex)
      Press Image Options and enter your desired settings:
      - Color Mode (Color, Gray Scale, or Black and White)
      - Image Mode (Text, Image, or Text/Image)
      - Background Removal
      - Brightness
      - Resolution
      - Binding Direction (Left Side or Top Side)
    3. Hit Destination and select Add Destination.
    4. Choose Send to Email (this option will not be present if Email Services was not enabled in Setup).
    5. Press Select Address.

Pick New Address and manually enter the email address to send to, or pick Fiery Address Book to choose the email address to send to.
    6. Select Configure Email and enter your desired settings:
      - Send Doc As (Attachment or URL)
      - File Format (PDF, TIFF, or JPEG)
    7. Hit Start Scan.
    8. Enter the Filename.
    9. At the Start Scan Now prompt, select Yes (this will start the scanning of the send job).
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

Why don't you use scan to file. You have that option as well!
    You can set up each user with a scan folder on there workstations
    Browse out from the machine, create the file path as follow.
    You will just need the user name and password to get into the contents of each workstation
    when your browsing from the machine to the workstations.
    Its a lot easier to set up.

SMTP creditials must be on point.

Are you running your own smtp sever or are you using a third party?
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

tech25
    Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    what error ???

set up the imageRUNNER-iR Series
    E-mail and I-Fax through E-mail server
    1.Make sure you have all of your TCP/IP information set up (IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS Server (if one), Host Name, and Domain name of your Domain) before you begin.
    2. Enter into the Network Settings and Select E-mail/I-Fax.
    3. If you are setting this up for SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) to send E-mail and I-Fax, enter the IP address or Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of your mail server in the SMTP Server section. For example: mail_server.organization.company.com. Then enter the email address that will be the default sender in the SMTP Address field.
    4. If you use POP3 and want to receive e- imageRUNNER mail and I-Faxes, fill in the IP address or FQDN of your POP3 server and the account added for the imageRUNNER-iR. The password is optional and needs to be entered if set on the e-mail account of the imageRUNNER-iR. Set the POP interval (how often the machine will log in and check for mail).
    5. Reboot the device.
    * Note - AUTHENTICATION ISSUES -
    -If the SMTP mail server requires authentication for sending email, enter Encryption/Authentication login information (SMTP authentication via a username and password).
    - For the models that do not support SMTP authentication, the administrator will need to set up a SMTP Relay.

i you have an imagePass:
    Setting Up Email Services on the imagePASS:
    When the imageRUNNER is connected with an imagePASS controller, you have 2 options for setting up email services: 1. Using the imagePASS's email capability - Enable and configure Email Services through Setup on the imagePASS and send email using the imagePASS's interface (select Scan Job option). This option will have access to the Fiery Address Book on the imagePASS. This method is what is further explained in this article.
    2. Using the optional Universal Send Kit - Must install the appropriate Universal Send Kit. Configure Email Services through Additional Functions, System Settings, Network Settings, E-mail/I-fax Settings on the copier LCD screen. You can send email using the Send tab on the copier LCD screen and the imagePASS will allow the email packets sent from the copier to pass through. This option will have access to the copier's Address Book.
    Setting Up Email Services on the imagePASS
    :
    In order to have E-mail and I-Fax capabilities, you must first enable E-mail Services at the imagePASS:

1. Select Run Setup. Confirm that you wish to enter Setup mode by hitting Yes.
    2. Select Network Setup.
    3. Choose Service Setup.
    4. Hit Email Setup.
    5. For the 'Enable Email Services' prompt, select Yes.
    6. Follow the prompts, entering the required information to configure the email settings (see the attached PDF for more information).
    7. Save your changes and exit Setup mode.

This option enables the imagePASS to use Email or Internet Fax as a means of communication for a variety of purposes, including printing PostScript, PDF, and TIFF files, and sending scanned files as an outgoing Email or Internet Fax.
    For more detailed information on configuring the imagePASS, please see the imagePASS Configuration Guide included on the User Documentation CD.
    To Scan an Original and Send it as an Email using the imagePASS
    :

1. Select Scan Job from the imagePASS menu
      Load your original(s) in ADF or on platen glass.
    2. Hit Source and enter your desired settings:
      - Document Source (ADF or Platen)
      - Original Size
      - Orientation
      - Sides (Single or Duplex)
      Press Image Options and enter your desired settings:
      - Color Mode (Color, Gray Scale, or Black and White)
      - Image Mode (Text, Image, or Text/Image)
      - Background Removal
      - Brightness
      - Resolution
      - Binding Direction (Left Side or Top Side)
    3. Hit Destination and select Add Destination.
    4. Choose Send to Email (this option will not be present if Email Services was not enabled in Setup).
    5. Press Select Address.

Pick New Address and manually enter the email address to send to, or pick Fiery Address Book to choose the email address to send to.
    6. Select Configure Email and enter your desired settings:
      - Send Doc As (Attachment or URL)
      - File Format (PDF, TIFF, or JPEG)
    7. Hit Start Scan.
    8. Enter the Filename.
    9. At the Start Scan Now prompt, select Yes (this will start the scanning of the send job).
    Hey thanks guys both methods sound awesome. I’m going to get right on it and let you know what the outcome is. Again much appreciated!!

tech25
    We are running our own. I've checked to see if there is permission issue from that end but from what I see everything checks out. I'm going to try your recommendation and post the result.

tech25
    No luck...I tried setting up a folder on my workstation and tried linking the file to my machine. I got another TX error report. I also tried setting myself up on a mailbox account to see if it would detect me that way but got the same result. But to answer your question, YES we are running out own SMTP server.

tech25
    No go...I checked to see and we are not using Image-pass. I spoke with canon support and they informed me that we have the Universal Send-kit.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

No luck...I tried setting up a folder on my workstation and tried linking the file to my machine. I got another TX error report. I also tried setting myself up on a mailbox account to see if it would detect me that way but got the same result. But to answer your question, YES we are running out own SMTP server.

found this>
    Email Send Function Fails Even though the Email Settings Seem Correctly Configured

The email send function fails even though the Email Settings on the copier are correctly configured according to the Network Administrator. The correct Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) for their email server has been typed in for the SMTP Server setting. The Administrator can Ping this email server by its FQDN and by its IP address from any of his computers.

The imageRUNNER cannot resolve the email server's FQDN into its valid IP address. The computers on the network can Ping the email server by its FQDN because they can resolve the FQDN to the server's IP address. The computers are either configured to use a DNS server or may have a mapping for the email server configured in their local HOSTS file. The copier does not have a HOSTS file to edit on it. The copier will need to be configured with the IP address of the network's DNS server.
    If a DNS server is not available, the SMTP Server setting on the copier can be set as the IP address of the email server instead of its FQDN. This will eliminate the need to resolve the name (as the IP address will be known by the copier).
    Also make sure that the domain name for the domain the SMTP server serves is set in the DNS settings under Domain Name. If the Domain Name is incorrect, the most common error code in the Send job log will be #752. The domain name must match your customer's email FQDN. For example, if your customer receives email at 'jsmith@xyzcorp.com' the FQDN is 'xyzcorp.com'. If the imageRUNNER is connected to an external Feiry controller the Domain Name must be set on the external controller.

With some email servers if the Subject field for document being sent via e-mail is left blank, the transmission of the e-mail may fail. Populate the Subject field by accessing the System Settings > Communications Settings > E-mail / I-Fax Settings

Note:Currently, some of the Canon Universal Send devices do not have the ability to authenticate with an SMTP Server. There is no option in the copier’s settings to enter authentication information for SMTP.If the SMTP Server is configured to require authentication for outgoing mail, the Canon device will not be able to send mail. The Network Administrator will need to change the settings on his SMTP Server to work around this issue (ex.
    Grant the RELAY privilege to the individual IP address of the copier).

Troubleshooting E-Mail Connectivity with the iR Series

Another option is to test out the functionality of the SMTP and POP3 servers is to use Microsoft Outlook Express. If you are able to send (SMTP) and receive (POP3) using Outlook Express, then there should be no issues connecting with the imageRUNNER.
    If using Microsoft Outlook, you can configure your connection with two different methods. You can configure a Corporate Connection which only communicates to the e-mail server internally and does not use SMTP or POP3 to communicate, or you can configure it for an Internet Connection which does use SMTP and POP3 to communicate.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

Whats the error code? Check under system monitor and hit one of the jobs you sent, hit details, there should be a code associated, #xxxx
    Where are you setting up your configurations at on the machine?
    Email/Ifax is where you set up for emailing, your SMTP and the address book settings is where you set up scan to file.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Daft Question, but do you have a Universal Send Kit installed, (Sorry need to ask, if not, you have no chance of doing this)
    Also..
    Have you set up the Email/iFax settings on the device
    Reading everything else, it looks and reads like you havn't enter these settings
    {*) > System Settings > Network Settings > Down to Email/Ifax Settings
    Enter either the IP address of the your exchange server or the name (I always found the IP Address works better, but both will do the job)
    Give the machine a emaill address IE NoReplyCanon@what ever.com
    Press Done, and back out (Yellow key)
    Reboot the device and fingers crossed...Bob ya uncle