Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I can turn a screw... 250+ Posts pacman's Avatar

Canon Irc5180 with Imagepass H1 Fiery

Hey guys, I'm having an issue here with a Fiery, I have an IRC 5180 with an H1 controller. We are trying to enable users on the Fiery. We are using a postscript driver version 6.0.6000.16386. We login into the Fiery server to users and groups. We set up the users (there are 2) and assigned them - one to operators and one to admin. We go into the printer driver, click on validate. The users validate, but when we try to print it does not get to the printer. It's almost like the print jobs are burned out at the Fiery. Turn off authenticationand they go through fine. All the documents are sitting in the fiery - we can see it in command workstation. What setting or settings are we missing?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Hey guys, I'm having an issue here with a Fiery, I have an IRC 5180 with an H1 controller. We are trying to enable users on the Fiery. We are using a postscript driver version 6.0.6000.16386. We login into the Fiery server to users and groups. We set up the users (there are 2) and assigned them - one to operators and one to admin. We go into the printer driver, click on validate. The users validate, but when we try to print it does not get to the printer. It's almost like the print jobs are burned out at the Fiery. Turn off authenticationand they go through fine. All the documents are sitting in the fiery - we can see it in command workstation. What setting or settings are we missing?

User Authentication is featured wherever a user may gain access to the Controller. The imagePASS / ColorPASS / imagePRESS authenticates user names in the following manner:

1. WebTools\Docs: The user can login to the Docs functionality in WebTools as long as their user name/password meets one of the following conditions:
    - A local imagePASS/ColorPASS/imagePRESS user part of the imagePASS/ColorPASS/imagePRESS's contact list
    (whether or not it is currently part of a imagePASS/ColorPASS/imagePRESS group).
    - A domain user name is included in a current imagePASS/ColorPASS/imagePRESS group.
    - Domain user is part of an LDAP group included in a current imagePASS/ColorPASS/imagePRESS group.

Once the user name/password is authenticated, the rip allows the user access to functionality corresponding with the user's privileges, as defined in the imagePASS/ColorPASS/imagePRESS groups.

2. Print Driver: The Print Driver for Windows (both PS and PCL versions) includes user name information with the print job. The Print Driver (Windows) supports the concept of both domain/LDAP user and the local user, even if the 'Use Network Login' is not selected. This is through the following methods:
    - If the user name string entered is 'ArthurM', the imagePASS/ColorPASS/imagePRESS will assume this is a local user. The rip will by default, check the local contacts.
    - If the user name string is 'domain\username' such as 'canon\arthurm', the imagePASS / ColorPASS / imagePRESS will assume this is a domain or LDAP user. The rip will by default, validate the user against the LDAP server.
    3. Local Login at the Command WorkStation (PC and Mac): The user can log into Command WorkStation (CWS) only as an administrator, operator, or guest. Different privileges can be assigned to each of the users within CWS based on login.

4. Hot Folders: Authentication occurs as follows:
    - Jobs submitted through Hot Folders ignore any user authentication setting on the rip and print as the authorized user 'Hot Folder'.
    - Hot Folder user privileges cannot be modified on the imagePASS/ColorPASS/imagePRESS.
    - The administrator has the option to disable Hot Folder functionality in Configure.
    5. FTP: The FTP login only supports local users and does not support domain logins.

6. Email: The imagePASS / ColorPASS / imagePRESS's email service decides whether or not to allow an incoming email to print. This is depending on whether the sender's email address of the incoming email is in the rip's print address book. Email messages sent to the rip will not print if user authentication is enabled because the email message cannot include authenticated authorized user information.
    Customer Benefits:

- Ensures a more secure workflow by enforcing authentication.
    - Easier administration and increased security by creating a common and centralized list of users and privileges and adhering to network authentication protocols.
    - Wider security offered by this standard feature for password protected mailboxes.
    - Tighter budget control over user access (eg.,color vs. B&W) for billing and user-based cost allocation.

Configuration:

With the User Authentication option, you can specify whether users should be authenticated before they send jobs to the rip. To set this option up, follow the steps below:

1. On the rip, select Run Setup, Server Setup (you can also set it up from the WebTools).
    2. Select Allow Printing From, then select 'All users' or 'Authorized users'.
    3. To setup authorized users and groups on the Fiery and assign privileges, from WebTools, select Configure, Launch Configure, and select Users and Groups.
    5. Add the desired groups, users, and assign privileges.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Configuration:

With the User Authentication option, you can specify whether users should be authenticated before they send jobs to the rip. To set this option up, follow the steps below:

1. On the rip, select Run Setup, Server Setup (you can also set it up from the WebTools).
    2. Select Allow Printing From, then select 'All users' or 'Authorized users'.
    3. To setup authorized users and groups on the Fiery and assign privileges, from WebTools, select Configure, Launch Configure, and select Users and Groups.
    5. Add the desired groups, users, and assign privileges.

This is the part that we have done. We have authorized users enabled. We went through the whole configure process in webtools and assigned the users to the correct groups with the correct permissions. We have also validated the users through the print driver under job info. They validate correctly, but everything gets held or errors out with a #701 code. The print jobs that get held you can push through the command workstation.

Okay, here's all I can tell you.

Settings in the print driver / preferences
    job info
    destination: printer
    print queue action: print
    no mailbox selected
    file name is blank
    dept id - blank
    dept password - blank
    secured password - blank
    do not use job accounting for b/w - unchecked
    user authentication
    we have the user name and pass entered
    we click validate and it validates perfectly and tells me my permissions are b/w print color print
    im a guest is unchecked
    save user info is checked.

Okay, here's all I can tell you.

Settings in the print driver / preferences
    job info
    destination: printer
    print queue action: print
    no mailbox selected
    file name is blank
    dept id - blank
    dept password - blank
    secured password - blank
    do not use job accounting for b/w - unchecked
    user authentication
    we have the user name and pass entered
    we click validate and it validates perfectly and tells me my permissions are b/w print color print
    im a guest is unchecked
    save user info is checked.

Found this pub.>
    Before clearing such things like MMI, MNCON, or DCON, etc. try turning off Department ID Management. In this case after turning Department ID Management off, then back on, resolved this issue. The customer was not using Department ID for print jobs, but the machine was acting like it did.
    The #701 signifies the following:

Cause:
    -The specified Department ID does not exist
    -No Department ID was set when the job was entered, or the password was changed.
    Remedy:
    -Enter the correct Department ID or password.

Interesting. We've tried it both ways, but no avail.

I came back to the office since I have another one of these machines pretty much set up the same way. SAME EXACT THING. Added the users, assigned them to groups, installed the new driver, the driver validates the user/pass but nothing prints out.

Interesting. We've tried it both ways, but no avail.

I came back to the office since I have another one of these machines pretty much set up the same way. SAME EXACT THING. Added the users, assigned them to groups, installed the new driver, the driver validates the user/pass but nothing prints out.

what ver firmware is on these iR5180's- ?? do a quick check in RUI

H1 v2.0 / is this what ver u have on H1/ iR 5180 requires at least v78.17
    Firmware for it

Yep - it's an H1-2. The firmware shouldn't be an issue. I got it to work with Mac just fine by using user / pass.

Yep - it's an H1-2. The firmware shouldn't be an issue. I got it to work with Mac just fine by using user / pass.
    what ver of Command work station are u using

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    If you're using version 6.x of the driver, you're using the iR5180 Canon controller driver, NOT the one for the Fiery.

The Fiery PostScript driver should be 2.x.

I haven't had this happen is some time, but as I recall, the job will simply get flushed without any effort to print it.

The correct drivers can be found here: Canon U.S.A: Support
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins