Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rasman67

IR 5000 Imaging Unit replacement

Is their a procedure to replacing the I/U in this machine. If so could someone help me out ? This is a not what i'm use to.

thanks

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

I/U, Imaging Unit.

What do you mean?

Drum?

Please explain more..
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Are you a technician?
    It's a $2000 drum and I wouldn't recommend removing it if you're not sure of what you're doing. It's a really expensive mistake to make. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat 4866 View Post
    Are you a technician?
    It's a $2000 drum and I wouldn't recommend removing it if you're not sure of what you're doing. It's a really expensive mistake to make. =^..^=

I agree with blackcat. One wrong move and forget about it. Any nic on the drum and that's it, its scared for life!
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts

The drum on this copier is rated for 3 million copies and if you are having a copy quality issue I would certainly start with the cheapest items first like corona rebuilds and other PM items. Have you opened up the right door of the copier & removed the developer unit so you can see the condition of the drum? It is behind a metal plate that comes off with one screw & unplug the connector & pulls right out. If you want to remove the Process unit (imaging unit) first take out the dv unit , then disconnect the toner hopper unit. This gives you access to the coronas and the process unit area. The dissassembly is described very thouroughly in the service manual. but the other posts are correct----ONE SCRATCH & YOU ARE DONE!. Do not attempt this dissassembly without reading the manual 1st. The dissasembly is not that hard if you know what you are doing but if its your 1st time you can make simple mistakes & cause a lot of damage. Good luck!

rasman67
    yes I'm a tech, but I work mostly on Konica minolta macines. I had a customer call and told my sec. that they needed the I/U replaced. I thought that it would by a drum in that large of a machine. Can anyone send me the replacement instructions for the drum.

Thanks

What you need if you are going to attempt this is the service manual. But I;m curious as to why the customer feels they need that expensive drum. Do a service call & remove the dv unit ( 1 screw and remove metal plate inside door on right side of machine ) Then inspect drum visually. Might just need drum blade or PM . What is the meter on this copier? Is drum scratched or pitted? Who told customer they needed that unit? Post a pic of the copy quality problem here & I can point you in the right direction on this repair.

rasman67
    Lines on the copy

If gray or black lines sounds like drum cleaning blade & a PM needed but also check fuser rollers. White lines - rebuild coronas & also check developer cylinder coating. Hope this was helpful.

Another question.

Are they printing to the machine?

You can check internal prints from service mode> Type PG4
    To verifly if its internal prints. If everything checks well then proceed to check the scanning area which is the reader unit.
    Check the optics, make sure there clean and the copy board glass, make sure its clean as well.