Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tiago

IR C2380 - 839 Error Code

Hi,

This is my first post on this board but it looks like an excellent place to discuss this problems.

I have a IR C2380 that receives Faxs but is not sending to the e-mail address I specify. I had #802 error code but I changed the hostname of the SMTP server to its IP and now I have a 839 error code that I don't know what is it.

Can anybody help fixing this problem?

Thank you.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Does the SMTP server require authentication? If so you need to add it in the additional functions ->system settings ->network settings ->e-mail/Ifax. The 1st 2 boxes need filled in and then touch the auth. button to add the credentials if needed. You don't need a valid e-mail address in the 2nd box but it does need some email there, put copier@whatever.com.

Tiago
    Thank you for the reply. It look like the fields are all good.

Let me explain you my problem, maybe you can see the solution by reading it.

Our e-mails were being hosted by a web development company. To save the price of the service (just hosting and e-mails) we subscribed for a shared hosted solutions, change the e-mails SMTP servers in Outlook and everything works OK for the e-mails.

We have the email fax@mydomain.com (which we add in the canon machine as the FROM and TO) hosted in our shared host and on theirs. We still have the contract with the web development company so we can test with their servers. If I put their SMTP servers on the Canon machine and set the e-mail in Outlook with their servers as well, everything works fine.

When I change the SMTP server on the FAX machine to ours and in Outlook to ours as well, it doesn't work.

Another funny thing is that when I set the FAX machine to send FROM fax@mydomain.com using their servers and, setup the Outlook to receive with our servers, it gives a 839 error (mail sent by multiple servers).

We are running a server with Windows Server 2000, maybe I need to give authorization for that SMTP server? But if that's the case, how come the e-mails work fine?

Thank you. By helping me you are saving my father's company big bucks that we don't have at the moment.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    IR C2380 - 839 Error Code

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Hi,

This is my first post on this board but it looks like an excellent place to discuss this problems.

I have a IR C2380 that receives Faxs but is not sending to the e-mail address I specify. I had #802 error code but I changed the hostname of the SMTP server to its IP and now I have a 839 error code that I don't know what is it.

Can anybody help fixing this problem?

Thank you.

#839 [SMTP] Sending to e-mail server
    user name or password for the SMTP server
    authentication (SMTP AUTH) does not match.

Check and verify the user name and password for SMTP
    authentication (SMTP AUTH) are configured properly in
    ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS > SYSTEM SETTINGS >
    NETWORK SETTINGS > E-mail/I-Fax >
    Authent./Encryption.

**use Microsoft Outlook Express (DO NOT USE OUTLOOK) to test, verify and confirm the correct requirements for the E-mail
    server that the customer is trying to use to send E-mail. You can bring up Microsoft Outlook Express by clicking START > RUN then
    type MSIMN and click OK. Then create an E-mail account using the information that was provided to you and try to send an email
    from MS Outlook Express.

#802 [SMTP] Sending to e-mail server

SMTP server name is not properly configured in
    Additional Functions.
    -Connection to the DNS server failed.
    -The SMTP server IP address is not properly configured in
    Additional Settings.

Check and verify that the correct SMTP server name is
    configured in Additional Functions.
    -Check and verify that you are using a valid DNS server
    that has the correct name resolution to that SMTP server.
    -Check and verify that the correct SMTP server IP address
    is configured in the Additional Functions.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Tiago
    Thank you very much! It worked.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Thank you very much! It worked.
    Glad to hear that you have the problem resolved,,, what did you actually change that fixed the problem?

Tiago
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
    Glad to hear that you have the problem resolved,,, what did you actually change that fixed the problem?
    I just changed the SMTP server to one that didn't require authentication.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Tiago
    Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    Yes, I'm curious as well. Did you turn on authentication for your SMTP server or turn it off at the copier?
    I just talked with my hosting company and they gave me a SMTP server that doesn't require authentication. The problem is I can only send e-mails inside my domain, but for me that's ok.

No more than that, just inserted the SMTP server with no user and no pass.

Good to know.

If you want to use your server to send outside your domain your server needs a static public IP, your ISP's DNS servers added, and setup the MX record. It can be a security risk since your server would be exposed directly to the net. You might find some articles on support.microsoft.com on the best way to set it up.

An alternative would be to use a public SMTP server like google mail, smtp.gmail.com.