Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Post Canon NP6621 - just wont copy !!

Hi !

Not done any Canon machines before (mainly worked for KM dealers).

Got a Canon NP6621 which appears to be ready to copy, but just wont !

There are no error codes, the doc feeder is detecting paper size correctly (as it will off the glass as well).

The START key is lit green, but pressing it has no effect.

Before I dive in too deep, am I missing something very obvious here ?

One thing I haven't see yet is the scanner lamp illuminate. On older analogue machines, I would expect the lamp to come on briefly at power up. This machine does a quick scanner lamp shuffle but no light.

I should say that I don't know the history of this machine as it's one we've taken back whilst installing a new one. Looks like it has been sitting idle for a few months. I do have the service manual.

Any Canon experts out there ??

Thanks,

MJ

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon NP6621 - just wont copy !!

Check for a stuck key / button on control panel

those print keys on under side can crack off tab that hits small button switch on panel board/ remove and inspect panel

check scanner cable/ pull scanner all the way over/ replace glass/ turn on / report back

Control Panel
    keys..JPG
    any of these keys/if stuck will prevent copying
    1. Removing the Control Panel
    1) Remove the copyboard glass.
    2) Remove the upper left cover.
    3) Open the front door.
    4) Pull the open/close lever, and open the body.
    5) Remove the right cover.
    6) Remove the left cover.
    7) Remove the four screws , and remove the
    inside cover
    Remove the screw e, and disconnect the four
    connectors r (J801, J802, J803, J804); then,
    remove the control panel .

Last edited by teckat; 05-22-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

hello technician ..me l have the same problems in 2 np6621 it's so dificulte copiers ...but l found the problems ...it have broked selinoide of scanner ...
    BEST TECHNICIAN . NICE PEOPLE .

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Good old NP's

I think Teckat made a good suggestion, those keys get stuck easy. Just keep pressing each key individually until you find one that doesn't feel right.

Couple things to check, I remember the heat sleeve on the lamp will slide over and cover the AE sensor. I can't remember if it caused the issue you have or an error code or just took a long time to make one copy.
    If I remember right a bad lamp could cause it to turn itself off, or if just one end of the lamp was bad paper will feed to the registration and just wait indefinitely.
    There was a tech pub about new style contacts for the lamp, but I can't remember any details other than they were just a better fit.

In case you want to check the lamp, it comes out the back. Take off the back cover and there's 1 screw on the endcap and you can pull the lamp out. GL

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

DLP and Teckat are correct.
    If a single button is stuck down no other button will work. Sometimes it's obvious, like one of the number keys, in which the display fills up with that number. Sometimes it's not so obvious, like a Clear key. Like DLP suggests, just one-by-one press each button, and listen for the click. You'll probably find one or more keys that don't click. It's usually just scurf. You know, the dead skin cells that all living things shed when they touch things. If all the buttons click , you may just have a failed push switch.

Disassemble the panel, and check the hinges of each button. With a toothbrush and some dish soap, clean the ridges around the edge each button and the holes throught the panel. If all of the buttons clicked for you, meter out each switch on the lowest resistance setting. You probably won't see infinite resistance while the switch is soldered to the board, but when pressed each switch should close to 0.2 ohms. The buttons that fail the most often are Start, Clear, & Tray Selection. There are three ways in which the switches can fail:
    1) Cold solder joints to the PWB
    2) Worn contacts within the switch (increased resistance when closed)
    3) Cracked traces on the PWB
    If you do not have a replacement switch, you can swap a less commonly used switch (like sort, or interrupt) to a more necessary location. Cold solder joints can be re-touched. Sometimes cracked traces can be repaired, but most often it's fatal.

That will cover most cases. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    Thanks for the replies.

The problem did indeed turn out to be a number of defective tact switches (the small push buttons under the control panel). I replaced them with buttons from an old VCR timer control pcb (same dimensions and pin outs).

After cleaning all the mirrors, the copy quality is now better, but there is still a problem with it. I've scanned a copy so you can see what I mean.

There are a number of voids across the page. These are present regardless of which setting I put the exposure control in (ie lighter or darker).

NP6612..jpg

It's the same whether the copy is made off the glass, or via the DF. I'm sure this is something simple, but I'm not a child of the analogue copier era! :-(

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    Hi !

Not done any Canon machines before (mainly worked for KM dealers).

Got a Canon NP6621 which appears to be ready to copy, but just wont !

There are no error codes, the doc feeder is detecting paper size correctly (as it will off the glass as well).

The START key is lit green, but pressing it has no effect.

Before I dive in too deep, am I missing something very obvious here ?

One thing I haven't see yet is the scanner lamp illuminate. On older analogue machines, I would expect the lamp to come on briefly at power up. This machine does a quick scanner lamp shuffle but no light.

I should say that I don't know the history of this machine as it's one we've taken back whilst installing a new one. Looks like it has been sitting idle for a few months. I do have the service manual.

Any Canon experts out there ??

Thanks,

MJ

check all keys on panel/ they should bounce back when touched
    remove control panel/ check for a stuck key/ also on the underside of the Start Key -small tab may be broken off and not making contact with switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

The problem did indeed turn out to be a number of defective tact switches (the small push buttons under the control panel). I replaced them with buttons from an old VCR timer control pcb (same dimensions and pin outs).

After cleaning all the mirrors, the copy quality is now better, but there is still a problem with it. I've scanned a copy so you can see what I mean.

There are a number of voids across the page. These are present regardless of which setting I put the exposure control in (ie lighter or darker).

NP6612..jpg

It's the same whether the copy is made off the glass, or via the DF. I'm sure this is something simple, but I'm not a child of the analogue copier era! :-(

Thanks in advance.
    How many copies on machine ????/ this model came out in 1998 !!
    First Start with below:

Optical path= inspect n' clean

Primary
    Charging Roller

Transfer
    Roller

DRUM

Developing/Cleaning Assembly

Ricoh tech 100+ Posts

as teckat says start with optical path but may i add to clean off scan rails and re lube as slight scan judder can cause the effect your having and if machine has been idle as you suggest then previous oil/grease may have thickened up causing mirrir assys to jump a little.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Another thing about the developer assy. Pull it out and look at the cylinder to see if it is evenly coated with toner or has streaks. I remember cleaning out the developer and using a piece of paper or fine sandpaper to clean all the buildup off the doc blade.