Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    I fried an old H1/K1(?) on an ir330 by trying to reset the bios. It just said "wait..." and never came up with the run setup screen so I could reinstall the system software. I reset the bios and then it just went right into an E677 when I powered up. I'm glad the board wasn't any good anyway but I haven't tried to reset the bios since.

I agree with Screwtape, it sounds memory related. In my experience corrupt system software is usually the eternal "Wait..." screen, it never even gets fully booted to test pinging or printing. Flaky problems more often seem to be related to the RAM. Since bad RAM can corrupt the system software I'd replace it before reinstalling.

Technician
    The lower left corner of the printer's LCD screen shows "Check the Network Connection".

The Printer tab's Printer Status screen shows "Wait a moment..."

Shorting the contacts of the battery holder (while everything is disconnected) was recommended by the technician who originally sold us the machine. The idea was simply to wipe out any residual non-default configuration of the C2.

From your reaction, I gather this shouldn't be done.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    what dimms are u talking about / HOPE IT'S NOT ON C2/ who told u to short battery , without having the software
    Haven't we been talking about the impagePASS-C2' memory DIMMs all along ? I removed the second DIMM on the C2 and shorted the battery holder's tabs for about a minute, while there was no power and the unit was completely removed. The unit succesfully rebooted, it communicated properly with the copier/printer and we were able to print from the network. It is only on wakeup from its energy conservation sleep, that the network connection wasn't working anymore.

The shorting thing had been recommended by the technician who originally sold us the machine as a means to clear any residual non-default configuration of the unit.

I gather this is not a good idea ?

Since I can't locate the System Software CDs, I restored the HD from a backup I had made a few months ago, but this isn't working.

I can still access the C2's Web interface, but communication between it and the copier isn't working.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon imagePASS-C2 can't communicate with ir C3220 copier

did u ever check the C2 LED'S to see what is showing ?
    1. A power fault (surge, sag, or spike) in the line voltage supplied to the imagePASS may cause a bit in the CMOS to be incorrectly changed. Since data stored in the CMOS is backed-up by a battery, the incorrect bit setting is retained in subsequent power-ups. When the FF error is caused by a power-fault, the error can often be cleared by resetting the CMOS. This can be accomplished by removing the CMOS battery and shorting the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder.
    a. After clearing the FF error, the CMOS battery may be reinstalled. Unfortunately, if the battery is reinstalled, a future power fault could cause the same error to occur again. In order to prevent the FF error from reoccurring, the CMOS battery should be removed permanently. As the CMOS battery is responsible for retaining clock (date and time) information on the imagePASS, a patch (1-Q3WR9) has been created to allow the imagePASS to obtain date and time information from the imageRUNNER that it is currently attached to.
    b. In the future, the motherboard of the imagePASS-C2 and imagePASS-G1 will be modified at the factory in order to prevent the incorrect bit change when a power fault occurs. For imagePASS units with the modified Motherboard, removal of the CMOS battery and applying the 1-Q3WR9 patch will be optional (in those cases where the customer wants the imagePASS to synchronize date and time settings with the imageRUNNER, the patch can be used).

2. The CPU may not be seated properly on the Motherboard. If the FF error code is caused by an improperly attached CPU, then the CPU must be reinstalled correctly in the CPU socket in order to resolve the error.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    We have an ir3200 with a C1 in the shop, when I unplugged the crossover cable I saw the same symptoms you have. I can access the C1 via the web interface, but the copier says "Check the network connection" and the printer tab says "Wait....". Copying work fine.

Previously, you tested the NIC on the copier and C2, but I would try a different cable. Reseating the NIC on the copier wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Also, if the C1 booted after clearing the BOIS then there is no problem. It might just have been the older Fiery's that it was not recommended.

Technician
    Teckat,

Thanks again for your time.

I do not have a "FF" problem on the C2; the Diagnostic LEDs are showing "00". I can communicate with the C2 unit both through its Webtools interface and through Fiery Command WorkStation 5.

I have tried operating without the CMOS battery, but to no avail. I have also checked the seating of the CPU, which appears OK.

Where can I get that "1-Q3WR9.ps" patch, and also, where can I get the contents of those System Software CDs, so I can make sure the HD has a non corrupted OS.

Technician
    I just tried a brand new crossover cable, all communications are individually working.

It's just seems that the C2 can't communicate with the iR C3220, or vice-versa.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon imagePASS-C2 can't communicate with ir C3220 copier

Bottom line/ you have to find a copy of C2 firmware
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician

Firmware & System Software

But where can I find the files for these Firmware, System Software CDs and 1-Q3WR9.ps patch ?

Technician
    I've opened the back panel of the iR C3220 to check the seating of the LAN Card and the Open IF Board; both are firmly seated.

While I was at it, I also reseated and interchanged the position of the 2 RAM sticks, as well as the ROM (FG3-3681, which shows it contains version 70.01C).

I also noticed 2 red LEDs are lit up:

1° LED1 on the Open IF Board (FH13394), and
    2° LED1 on the 3 Core Sub-Board (FH13386).

I don't know if this is normal, but I'm guessing that the red color might indicate some kind of problem.