Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Technician

Canon imagePASS-C2 can't communicate with ir C3220 copier

Our Canon imagePASS-C2 now can't communicate with its' ir C3220 copier/printer.

We can communicate through the network with the imagePASS-C2 controller, using Fiery's Command WorkStation 5.

We can, for example, clear the spooled print files on the controller's disk, but cannot reach the copier/printer from that utility.

The copier/printer cannot either establish a connection with the imagePASS-C2 controller.

We have played around with the 2 cables (both the cross-over etherNet cable, which we even changed, and the SCSI communication cable, of which we switched both ends), but to no avail.

We previously had a similar but intermittent problem which had been resolved by playing around with these cables, over a few days.

I have been suspecting a flaky etherNet connector on either end, but don't know how to validate this as the real source of the problem.

Maybe it is the SCSI cable or connectors ?

It is quite troublesome to lose access to this printer, as it is an important outlet for our architectural work.

Any ideas or suggestions would be quite welcome.

Serge

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scayer View Post
    Our Canon imagePASS-C2 now can't communicate with its' ir C3220 copier/printer.

We can communicate through the network with the imagePASS-C2 controller, using Fiery's Command WorkStation 5.

We can, for example, clear the spooled print files on the controller's disk, but cannot reach the copier/printer from that utility.

The copier/printer cannot either establish a connection with the imagePASS-C2 controller.

We have played around with the 2 cables (both the cross-over etherNet cable, which we even changed, and the SCSI communication cable, of which we switched both ends), but to no avail.

We previously had a similar but intermittent problem which had been resolved by playing around with these cables, over a few days.

I have been suspecting a flaky etherNet connector on either end, but don't know how to validate this as the real source of the problem.

Maybe it is the SCSI cable or connectors ?

It is quite troublesome to lose access to this printer, as it is an important outlet for our architectural work.

Any ideas or suggestions would be quite welcome.

Serge

Is the Printer Tab (for the imagePASS) shown on the Copier's LCD Screen ???

IMG-CONT - in Service Mode - the Setting MUST BE set to 3

make sure C2 dip switches are not set to download mode

imagepass..jpg

Verify that the imagePASS and the copier are connected via a crossover cable (not a straight through cable or a rollover cable). Test the cable to verify it is good (can connect two computers together with it and have each one try to ping the other's ip address).

Try re-seating the boards and connections on/between the 2 devices. Pay special attention tothe NIC in the copier and the internal NIC in the imagePASS (the imagePASS internal daughter NICis called the'Video Board').

Give your laptop an ip address of 10.255.255.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Disconnect the crossover cable from the imagePASS and connect it to your laptop's network interface. Your laptop will now be connected to the copier via the crossover cable. Try to ping the copier's ip address (10.255.255.2). If you get successful replies, the problem is most likely on the imagePASS side. If the copier fails to reply, the problem is most likely on the copier side.

Give your laptop an ip address of 10.255.255.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Disconnect the crossover cable from the copier and connect it to your laptop's network interface. Your laptop will now be connected to the imagePASS via the crossover cable. Try to ping the imagePASS' ip address (10.255.255.1). If you get successful replies, the problem is most likely on the copier side. If the imagePASS fails to reply, the problem is most likely on the imagePASS side.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

If it worked before?
    I would try another crossover cable for now.

There are more reasons that can cause this.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Technician
    Teckat,

Thank you for your quick and obviously cogent response. Here are my answers to your questions and suggestions :

Is the Printer Tab (for the imagePASS) shown on the Copier's LCD Screen ?
    Yes, there is a Pinter Tab, but the Printer Status and Settings never goes to IDLE; it only shows « Wait a moment…. », but doesn’t go any further.

IMG-CONT - in Service Mode - the Setting MUST BE set to 3
    Yes, it is set to 3.

Make sure C2 dip switches are not set to download mode
    No, they are both DOWN.

Verify that the imagePASS and the copier are connected via a good crossover cable
    Yes, it works fine.

Re-seating the boards and connections on/between the 2 devices.
    No, the cross-over cable and its RJ-45 connectors work fine.
    No, I haven’t checked the video link cable,nor its connectors.

Try to ping the copier's ip address (10.255.255.2).
    Yes, it works fine; I can even access the copier’s Remote User Interface with my browser.

Try to ping the imagePASS' ip address (10.255.255.1).
    Yes, it works fine; I can even access the controller’s Webtools interface with my browser.

I just have to find a way of testing the video cable, which appears SCSI-like but with only 40 connectors, and its connectors. Do you know if this FH2-7042 cable is easily available ?

Also, I noticed that on the C2-side that it shows the Gateway Address as being 255.255.255.255, it seems to me it should show our router’s gateway address of 192.168.1.1. Is this normal ?

Even though I can access the C2’s Webtools interface, I can’t use the Javascript Configuration Scripts : these load but do not provide any supplementary configuration screens (maybe because i’m running Java 1.6.0 r20 instead of 1.4.2 ?).

Technician
    ScrewTape,

Thanks for your suggestion.

The crossover cable is new and it works fine, as stated in my response to Teckat's suggestions.

You mention other reasons that can cause this; do you have any other suggestions ?

Memory dimms (Ram) from your Imagepass.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Quote Originally Posted by scayer View Post
    ScrewTape,

Thanks for your suggestion.

The crossover cable is new and it works fine, as stated in my response to Teckat's suggestions.

You mention other reasons that can cause this; do you have any other suggestions ?

Have u tried to remove and re seat the NETWORK BOARD on 3220 ??

does the imagePass C2 side LED display read 00 ??

00=ok should be working !!
    FF=Check internal & external cables & connections
    E3= DIMM issue/ re seat DIMM in C2 DDR DIM2

During a normal boot sequence, the two digit segment may read: 16, 64, 29, 8A, during the 8A the machine is finalizing the splash screen (scroll bar on the copier). When this is done the segment display will go 00, FF, then 00.

If it goes to 00 an still says please wait, it is possible that the system software is corrupt.
    re-install the system software for C2 fiery
    Last edited by teckat; 06-07-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I don't know how much this matters, but the imagePASS-C2 does not support CWS 5.

Is it possible that it worked OK before upgrading to version 5?

I'm just wondering if CWS 5 somehow corrupted the system software on the RIP.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

I had a case where the imagepass was stuck at "please wait".
    Popped in a different memory stick and it just started printing.

Good Point_SCREWTAPE / I Forgot, have also done that fix ****