Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

CLC 1180 error code E020-0181

I cleaned the sensor and the machine works normally, but after a few copies (arround 40 to 50) it gives this same error.

I followed the instructions in the Service Manual and did the auto gradation adjustment, and then did the procerdure for new developer instalation. And I still have this error code after few copies.

Does any one has a clue?

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Have you tried replacing the drum clean blade? What kind of mileage does it have on it, time and copies? At some point, I always replaced the assembly and not just the blade. The scoop sheets can also get aged and cause issues. You say you cleaned the sensor, is it actually getting soiled again after cleaning it? If so look to your maintenance items, parts need to be replaced on these at 20K and 40K. Developer mix is rated for about 40k as I recall, if they go long they start to fog.... I advise you use the kits.

Diligent attention to maintenance has always been the key to surviving one of the CLC's

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

Which sensor did you clean??

I have more questions, but answer this one first.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
    Have you tried replacing the drum clean blade? What kind of mileage does it have on it, time and copies? At some point, I always replaced the assembly and not just the blade. The scoop sheets can also get aged and cause issues. You say you cleaned the sensor, is it actually getting soiled again after cleaning it? If so look to your maintenance items, parts need to be replaced on these at 20K and 40K. Developer mix is rated for about 40k as I recall, if they go long they start to fog.... I advise you use the kits.

Diligent attention to maintenance has always been the key to surviving one of the CLC's
    First off all thanks for helping and sorry that I took some time to answer. I already replaced the drum clean blade. The machine has 235.286 copies. By replacing the assembly you mean the Photosensitive drum cleaner assembly?

Tomorrow I will check the Scoop sheets, and give a feed back to you.

The sensor is geting soiled again after i clean it, and causes the error.

The developer was changed 19k ago, so i think it's not the problem.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by SCREWTAPE View Post
    Which sensor did you clean??

I have more questions, but answer this one first.
    First off all thanks for helping and sorry for the time that i took to answer. I cleaned the Gradation Sensor and the Black toner concentration sensor, and after that the machine works normaly but after few copies I get the error again.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    F02-5106-000
    F02-5107-020

These are the part numbers for the 20k and 40k pm kits, use them religiously at the correct intervals. These have most all the parts that need changing, including all the scoop sheets. If the copies are coming out clean, I would not worry about the drum clean assembly as a whole, but there is a sheet on the bottom of the unit that can drizzle waste toner down onto the drum area. If the kits do not curtail the clouding of the sensor, the developer starter mix could still be the answer...

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

after a QA, start developer change, or after troubleshooting a problem in the development area. When doing these functions, if the power switch was not turned off before unplugging the black ATR-sensor (ie. salt sensor) this can cause the DC-driver to fail. The power switch should be turned off before unplugging any sensor in the machine and the machine should be unplugged from the wall outlet before unplugging any PCB.
    1. Clean the Gradation Sensor, using a soft cloth, moistened with water and well wrung. Remount the Sensor.
    Note: The reason for using water is to help to remove the residual charges from the sensor window. ( The presence of charges can attract toner to the sensor window.) After cleaning the window with water, do not leave droplets of water on it, also do not dry wipe it.
    2. Turn on the Power Switch, and keep the copier in the Standby State.
    3. Select and execute FUNCTION>SNSADJ>P-SENS in Service Mode.
    Select and execute ADJUST/CLEANING>AUTO GRADATION CORRECTION in User Mode.

I learned this lesson many times over on this model/ that black ATR sensor is a pain in the BUTT

E020-0181/0481 Error Codes Caused by Developing Component Wear
    Due to the repeated application of pressure by the color developer assembly, the bias contact is
    shaved. The shavings accumulate between the bias contact and the developer assembly pressure
    rail /u need to pull out dev units to look in and clean/vacuum out

As a result of the repeated engagement/disengagement of the black developer assembly, the front side
    step screws in the pressure slider of the assembly become worn. This may cause incorrect pressure on
    the black developer assembly.

E020 error codes and noise from the developer assemblies can result from premature failure of the
    16T/24T gear. To extend the life of the gear the material has been changed. To help distinguish the
    old gear from the new, the color has been changed from gray (old) to white (new).

Here is a trick/ after u do a Full dev change/ look at the door Dev.readings -cant' remember them off hand/- go in service mode & put back in the original Dev settings - u can tell which ones because they change- then do stir and init all
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician
    I have some information now. I'll tried to do first the FREE solutions, and then the maintence kits thing (evean they cost arroung 300 US, or do you know some where I can find it cheaper?).