Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iR Adv C5051

iRA C5051 problems

Quote Originally Posted by MsArtDirector View Post
    I've had more problems with Canon Image Runner 5051 than I care to list here. My response is specific to your mailbox endeavor. Before you go to all the trouble to find a solution, make sure the mailboxes don't corrupt your documents? We've been trying for months to be able to rely on them, and haven't been happy yet. They'll be fine for a while, then disintegrate or disappear or just go in as gobbledy-gook. We are using the Fiery and CS3/Adobe Acrobat 8 documents, and are very disillusioned.
    Hi MsArtDirector

It is a bit difficult for me to comment on your thread. Things is, there are different types of mailboxes and many different ways to configure, and use these, and based on the info that you supplied i cant clearly deduce what kind of setup you're using. I'm not sure if you do support on this device or if you are a user, but one thing that i can recommend is Firmware upgrades on this device. Since its release there have been many updates to resolve various issues, and the mailboxing problem that you're experiencing may be one of them.

For some reason your fault description does seem to ring a bell somewhere in the deepest darkest corners of my memory, but i just cant extract that distant memory to be sure if I've experienced, or heard of your particular problem on this device or if it was on another.

I can comment on CS3 though. We did encounter a minor issue with this not long after installation, when printing clolour patterns that fade from the one colour to the next in gradients, whereby the transition wasn't smooth, but this was resolved, if memory serves by a patch that was installed on the MAC (Snow Leopard) as well as a driver update. I'm speaking under correction about the MAC patch, as i wasn't involved with that. The patch could also have been on the Fiery, but the driver update i'm positive of.

It's a pity that you're experiencing so many problems with your device, because it is really a great machine. Other than the initial scanning issue experienced by my customer, and the CS3 problem, the machine has been running beautifully (touch wood), and even more impressive is that the volumes being pushed through this device is well beyond spec.

I hope that the suggested firmware upgrades will resolve the issues that you're experiencing with your device.

Kind Regards

MsArtDirector
    Quote Originally Posted by TA_Tech View Post
    Hi MsArtDirector

It is a bit difficult for me to comment on your thread. Things is, there are different types of mailboxes and many different ways to configure, and use these, and based on the info that you supplied i cant clearly deduce what kind of setup you're using. I'm not sure if you do support on this device or if you are a user, but one thing that i can recommend is Firmware upgrades on this device. Since its release there have been many updates to resolve various issues, and the mailboxing problem that you're experiencing may be one of them.

For some reason your fault description does seem to ring a bell somewhere in the deepest darkest corners of my memory, but i just cant extract that distant memory to be sure if I've experienced, or heard of your particular problem on this device or if it was on another.

I can comment on CS3 though. We did encounter a minor issue with this not long after installation, when printing clolour patterns that fade from the one colour to the next in gradients, whereby the transition wasn't smooth, but this was resolved, if memory serves by a patch that was installed on the MAC (Snow Leopard) as well as a driver update. I'm speaking under correction about the MAC patch, as i wasn't involved with that. The patch could also have been on the Fiery, but the driver update i'm positive of.

It's a pity that you're experiencing so many problems with your device, because it is really a great machine. Other than the initial scanning issue experienced by my customer, and the CS3 problem, the machine has been running beautifully (touch wood), and even more impressive is that the volumes being pushed through this device is well beyond spec.

I hope that the suggested firmware upgrades will resolve the issues that you're experiencing with your device.

Kind Regards

How kind of you to respond. Since you ask, we are using PCs with XP Pro, and have had techs out here nearly weekly for eight months. Not only have we updated the firmware, but their current thinking is now to go backwards to older firmware to try to get this right. An expanded list of issues includes 1) Not being able to draw any heavy papers from the drawers for printing booklets (can only use the side tray... and these are normal heavy papers, nothing trick) so don't invest in extra drawers, or hope for brochures with different cover-text papers, 2) Mailbox booklet pages flipping this way and that (that doesn't happen when printing the same pdfs straight from the desktop), 3) Not being able to use short grain papers of any kind (sounded like a made up caveat, but can't confirm), 4) Quality issues printing from Adobe Acrobat 9 -- we've been instructed to only print through Adobe Reader (we're GRAPHICS, folks), 5) Using the Eye1 color system is a wasted investment because the color shifts a bit from the first print to the last (of say, 50) anyway, so serious color finessing is an exercise in futility, 6) Everything wants to print to tray 3 unless lots of buttons are pushed, so satellite (sales, not graphics folk) people constantly need help getting their print-outs to work; since the buttons to hit keep changing with every tech visit and according to different software. What works for Word does not work for an Adobe pdf, for example, etc.

The list goes on, but these are the main ones. I compare this to a high-maintenance relationship. The product that comes out right is really beautiful. It's getting to that point without losing lots of man-hours that's the challenge.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    iR Adv C5051

The Old Warning on updating always rings true.

"NEVER Update just for the sake of Updating"

Always read the Firmware update pub to see if it pertains to an issue are having, if u see nothing listed, bypass the update.

Best bet on that paper issue is to Go Back/ to previous ver. - it works~~~~~~~~
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Acer

Re: iR Adv C5051

Quote Originally Posted by TA_Tech View Post
    Hi

I'm upgrading an old Xerox with a Canon iR Advanced C5051. The Xerox had a EFI Fiery attached, and one of the features that the users made use of on the Fiery is the scan to mailbox facility. The feature functioned as follows: (1) the user would scan the document to a mailbox on the Fiery's Hard Drive. (2) the file would then be downloaded from the mailbox using the Fiery Remote Scan utility.

I have the Canon setup to scan in the same way as the Xerox, but the problem is, on the Xerox there is a very nice shortcut that has all the necessary settings saved, such as scan in colour, scan from ADF, 300 dpi, save as PDF, including the mailbox name on the Fiery where the scan should be stored, but on the Canon i can't figure out how to register a shortcut like this. Every time a user wants to scan, all of the beforementioned settings have to be manually configured. This is of course a huge problem for the users and I dont blame them... there is a hell of a lot to config before starting your scan.

Does anybody have any ideas on how i can improve this situation, or register a similar shortcut on the Canon

Thanks in advance for any help
    I know this issue TA_Tech is experiencing. I'm having this issue also. Any solution would be appreciated. Thanks