Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iR Adv C5051

iR Adv C5051

Hi

I'm upgrading an old Xerox with a Canon iR Advanced C5051. The Xerox had a EFI Fiery attached, and one of the features that the users made use of on the Fiery is the scan to mailbox facility. The feature functioned as follows: (1) the user would scan the document to a mailbox on the Fiery's Hard Drive. (2) the file would then be downloaded from the mailbox using the Fiery Remote Scan utility.

I have the Canon setup to scan in the same way as the Xerox, but the problem is, on the Xerox there is a very nice shortcut that has all the necessary settings saved, such as scan in colour, scan from ADF, 300 dpi, save as PDF, including the mailbox name on the Fiery where the scan should be stored, but on the Canon i can't figure out how to register a shortcut like this. Every time a user wants to scan, all of the beforementioned settings have to be manually configured. This is of course a huge problem for the users and I dont blame them... there is a hell of a lot to config before starting your scan.

Does anybody have any ideas on how i can improve this situation, or register a similar shortcut on the Canon

Thanks in advance for any help

Technician 250+ Posts
    User's manual. The Advance series has all kinds of neat features. May not hurt to take the online class even if you cannot attend the classroom portion.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    iR Adv C5051

Quote Originally Posted by TA_Tech View Post
    Hi

I'm upgrading an old Xerox with a Canon iR Advanced C5051. The Xerox had a EFI Fiery attached, and one of the features that the users made use of on the Fiery is the scan to mailbox facility. The feature functioned as follows: (1) the user would scan the document to a mailbox on the Fiery's Hard Drive. (2) the file would then be downloaded from the mailbox using the Fiery Remote Scan utility.

I have the Canon setup to scan in the same way as the Xerox, but the problem is, on the Xerox there is a very nice shortcut that has all the necessary settings saved, such as scan in colour, scan from ADF, 300 dpi, save as PDF, including the mailbox name on the Fiery where the scan should be stored, but on the Canon i can't figure out how to register a shortcut like this. Every time a user wants to scan, all of the beforementioned settings have to be manually configured. This is of course a huge problem for the users and I dont blame them... there is a hell of a lot to config before starting your scan.

Does anybody have any ideas on how i can improve this situation, or register a similar shortcut on the Canon

Thanks in advance for any help

+ Check your PM mail

This may help>

1) Hit [Show All] on the copier's display.
    2) Hit [Scan & Store].
    3) Hit [Mailbox] and select your mailbox.
    4) Hit [Scan].
    5) Select your settings for ex. color or balck and white.
    6) Highlight the Silver Box with the red stripe on the top right and select Change Default Settings
    7) Select Register
    8) Select Yes.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Where would i go for this online class. I've been on the instructor led training, but unfortunately as is always the case, its virtually impossible to cover every aspect of the machine. We did some basic operation, a lot of focus on advanced space, hardware, and service modes. Not so much focus on RIP and all it's lovely features, but we did touch on it though. Maybe this online class that you speak of will have some useful info.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    iR Adv C5051

Quote Originally Posted by TA_Tech View Post
    Where would i go for this online class. I've been on the instructor led training, but unfortunately as is always the case, its virtually impossible to cover every aspect of the machine. We did some basic operation, a lot of focus on advanced space, hardware, and service modes. Not so much focus on RIP and all it's lovely features, but we did touch on it though. Maybe this online class that you speak of will have some useful info.
    You have to work for an authorized Canon dealer to access the Cannon eSupport Center site
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Thx, but i know how to do what you described... Not quite the scan to mailbox feature i was talking about... The scan to mailbox you're talking of is on the copier side of things, the one i'm talking about is on the EFI Fiery Controller (Image PASS B1).

They both do the same thing, but the scanned document is stored in different locations. In your example it is stored on the copier's Hard Drive and from there can be printed, sent to fax, i-fax, mail, folder, or Jbig destination, or can even be downloaded using the RUI. In my example, the scan document is stored on a mailbox on the Image PASS B1's hard drive and can also be retrieved using the B1's RUI or, as my customer does it, through the use of Fiery Remote Scan.

In Brief, the setup is as follows (after B1 has been configured):

1) connect to B1 RUI
    2) launch configurator
    3) go to "users and Groups"
    4) select the "scan" group and click on view details
    5) add a new user to the group (The user name you enter here is the mailbox name)

Use of this feature is as follows:

1) Tap Show All
    2) Tap "Printer"
    3) Tap "Functions"
    4) Tap "Scan Job"
    5) configure scan settings - (paper source - ADF or Platen, Feed method - Simplex or duplex, Orientation, binding position, scan colour, background remove, brightness, resolution, etc.... list goes on and on and on)
    6) set destination - here you choose "to mailbox" and then you have to manually type in the name of the mailbox that you want to scan it to.
    7) Finally, tap on "Start Scan" and then on "Yes" when asked if you're sure.

As you can see, its somewhat different to the regular scan and store in mailbox feature. I thought of registering it in the Quick Menu, which is where i think you were trying to lead me, but as soon as you tap on "Printer" in step 2 above, the cube icon in the top right-hand corner of the display is greyed out, so you cant make use of it.

If you have any other ideas, please share, but trust me when i say I've broken my head over this one thoroughly and to be honest i don't think it can be done.

Thanks again anyway. appreciate your help

Technician 250+ Posts
    Here in the shop we have a 5035 getting ready to go out (I suspect a 5051 is very simular in functions) and we have not set one up that uses an ImagePass so I may be way off base - but it seems to me you just need to configure it in Favorite Settings and then "call it" by:

1> Scan & Store
    2> Mailbox (on other)
    3> Select the mailbox (destination)
    4> Lower right of screen select SCAN
    5> Mid-right of screen select Favorite Settings

Not trying to waste your time. I am sure there is a better "how to" in the User Manual - I just do not have one handy to find out exactly where. The above process does work - but may be a solution to something other than you are looking for.

Under other systems it was (I think) part of the Address Book options - but not now.
    Last edited by costd; 06-30-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Adding info/details

Technician 250+ Posts

Did you get it working?

Any update? Success or not - info may help others.

Unfortunately not. I've searched high and low and went through all the menus on both the machine and the ImagePASS a million times and i couldn't find any way of doing it. My customer just had to accept the new of scanning. Too bad such an awesome machine with great equipment attached such as the EFI RIP does not offer some user friendliness.

I still stand to be corrected. if anybody does know of a way to do this, please enlighten me. Thanks to all for your help, much appreciated.

MsArtDirector
    I've had more problems with Canon Image Runner 5051 than I care to list here. My response is specific to your mailbox endeavor. Before you go to all the trouble to find a solution, make sure the mailboxes don't corrupt your documents? We've been trying for months to be able to rely on them, and haven't been happy yet. They'll be fine for a while, then disintegrate or disappear or just go in as gobbledy-gook. We are using the Fiery and CS3/Adobe Acrobat 8 documents, and are very disillusioned.