Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

IR3300i Wi Fi Device

Might anyone recommend a wi-fi device that a network cable could be connected into and the other end to a Canon IR3300i so that the IR3300 can communicate with an existing network?

An IR3300i is being located in area that is not accessible to hardwired network cable, but there is wi-fi avaiable in area to communicate with computer network.

Thanks.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar
    wireless gateway adapter or Power over Ethernet (PoE) all been done poe is this easiest

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alex@wocltd.com View Post
    wireless gateway adapter or Power over Ethernet (PoE) all been done poe is this easiest
    Hi dbmoylan@gmail.com
    D-Link, Netgear, etc, have Wireless Access Points that will fill the bill. Google for places to purchase them. I would advise against devices that provide POE (Power over Ethernet), they are usually wired devices, but they carry voltage over the network to self power some types of equipment. I was advised against POE usage, based on conversations with Canon connectivity techs. Canon boxes do not support POE networks, at least that was the case a couple years ago...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Thank you guys. Will attempt to locate the "Wireless Access Points" device & check out.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar
    canon only advise against poe as they want you to buy their wireless adapter which is £££ $$$ - Poe - they have always worked your only gonna get stuck if the power is for example isolated from room to room or floor to floor - with the wireless gateway make sure client does the set-up if not get disclaimer signed as it is amazing what you will be blamed for once you introduce a new device to their network.........

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Thank you Alex. Will do.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    i just did an install of a RIcoh copier using a wireless acces point from netgear under similiar circumstatances. it worked very well, prints and scans without any issues. set the wireless access point to client mode when setting it up.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Thank you Jon - will do as suggested once unit arrives.

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    IR3300i Wi Fi Device

Maybe I'm missing something ......the origional poster-he wants a wireless option for " An IR3300i is being located in area that is not accessible to hardwired network cable " and instead of going with MrFixits idea of " D-Link, Netgear, etc, have Wireless Access Points that will fill the bill " we are recommending power over ethernet? I thought poe was a wired option which the poster said he does not want. POE in my understanding is a ethernet cable that carries power and data but is still just a wired cable. No offense taken if I'm wrong....Correct me if I'm wrong so I can learn. How is poe a viable solution to this application?
    Last edited by blazebusiness; 07-14-2010 at 02:11 AM.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    PoE doesn't belong in this discussion - it's an unrelated, "wired only" thing.

What you technically want is an Ethernet bridge, to convert the wireless to wired.

Here is a link to a Linksys model which works quite well: Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band WET610N

There are articles on the 'Net where you can load custom firmware on an older, less expensive Linksys wireless router, but keep in mind that any such solution isn't for beginners, nor can it be supported.

Resist the temptation to use a wireless print server, because you will lose any ability to scan (push or pull), as well as the connection to the RUI (internal web page).
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins