Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Canonb IRC3200

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Canonb IRC3200

Canonb IRC3200

I have to remove two of the IRC 3200 copiers from customer premises and they want me to format the HDD before they leave to remove all customer info. The copiers are being sent to used equipment broker.

Any advise on how to do that would be much appreciated as I do not service this brand.

I could find no indication of any Security kits or Data Overwrite kits installed on the exisitng copiers.

Thanks,

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    Canonb IRC3200

You need the Service Support Tool & firmware for this.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canonb IRC3200

[QUOTE=SalesServiceGuy;157399]I have to remove two of the IRC 3200 copiers from customer premises and they want me to format the HDD before they leave to remove all customer info. The copiers are being sent to used equipment broker.

Any advise on how to do that would be much appreciated as I do not service this brand.

I could find no indication of any Security kits or Data Overwrite kits installed on the exisitng copiers.

Thanks,[/QUOT]

EASY WAY BELOW

Hard Drive Format from Service Mode
    format the copier's hard drive partitions from service mode.

You can format some of the partitions from service mode. Since the System Software was loaded and the system files are being used and are locked, you cannot perform a full complete format of the hard drive from service mode. The options are available for you to format the PDL and image storage partitions. To format these partitions, follow these instructions: * Note - To format the firmware storage partition or the entire Hard Drive, you will need to boot the copier into Download Mode (Safe Mode) by holding down 2 and 8 during boot up. You will need to connect with the Service Support Tool and use the HDFormat file .

1. You need to select the partition you are going to format by selecting it with the CHK-TYPE option. This option is located at COPIER>FUNCTION>SYSTEM>CHK-TYPE in Service Mode.
    Set the option from 0-x. They are described below:

= Entire HDD
    1 = image storage area
    2 = multiple-use file storage
    3 = PDL-related file storage area
    4 = firmware storage area
    5 = MEAP storage area
    6 = General storage area
    7 = Non-initialization data storage area
    8 = Data log storage area
    9 = Image management storage area
    10= PDL font and ICC profile storage area
    11=Job Archive storage area
    12=USB memory storage area
    13=Firmware storage area

* Note - 0 and 4, and 13 are invalid since the system is booted. 1 will format the SRAM.

2. After you selected the partition to format, you need to select HD-CLEAR. This option is located below CHK-TYPE in COPIER>FUNCTION>SYSTEM>HD-CLEAR.

• Highlight the option HD-CLEAR and select OK to format.
        • Could take up to 5 minutes.
        • Reboot the copier to initialize the format.

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Canonb IRC3200

Much Thanks, I will try it Wed AM.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    [QUOTE=teckat;157474]
    Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I have to remove two of the IRC 3200 copiers from customer premises and they want me to format the HDD before they leave to remove all customer info. The copiers are being sent to used equipment broker.

Thanks,[/QUOT]

EASY WAY BELOW

Hard Drive Format from Service Mode
    format the copier's hard drive partitions from service mode.

You can format some of the partitions from service mode. Since the System Software was loaded and the system files are being used and are locked, you cannot perform a full complete format of the hard drive from service mode. The options are available for you to format the PDL and image storage partitions. To format these partitions, follow these instructions: * Note - To format the firmware storage partition or the entire Hard Drive, you will need to boot the copier into Download Mode (Safe Mode) by holding down 2 and 8 during boot up. You will need to connect with the Service Support Tool and use the HDFormat file .

1. You need to select the partition you are going to format by selecting it with the CHK-TYPE option. This option is located at COPIER>FUNCTION>SYSTEM>CHK-TYPE in Service Mode.
    Set the option from 0-x. They are described below:

= Entire HDD
    1 = image storage area
    2 = multiple-use file storage
    3 = PDL-related file storage area
    4 = firmware storage area
    5 = MEAP storage area
    6 = General storage area
    7 = Non-initialization data storage area
    8 = Data log storage area
    9 = Image management storage area
    10= PDL font and ICC profile storage area
    11=Job Archive storage area
    12=USB memory storage area
    13=Firmware storage area

* Note - 0 and 4, and 13 are invalid since the system is booted. 1 will format the SRAM.

2. After you selected the partition to format, you need to select HD-CLEAR. This option is located below CHK-TYPE in COPIER>FUNCTION>SYSTEM>HD-CLEAR.

• Highlight the option HD-CLEAR and select OK to format.
        • Could take up to 5 minutes.
        • Reboot the copier to initialize the format.

We just pulled 27 late model Canons from a law firm, and formatted the image area (option 1) on all the HDDs.

The customer sent a drive from an iR3570 and an iR5570 (after formatting) to a local forensics company, and they were not able to retrieve any data.

Good enough for me!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Canonb IRC3200

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post

We just pulled 27 late model Canons from a law firm, and formatted the image area (option 1) on all the HDDs.

The customer sent a drive from an iR3570 and an iR5570 (after formatting) to a local forensics company, and they were not able to retrieve any data.

Good enough for me!
    Not bad.

Good to know.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC