Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts mailderrick's Avatar

Question IR C3170 B7W prints crips Color blury and faded

I am a bit stumped on this machine. I also brought another tech in to look at it as i am not super familiar with this line and apparently it is on the popular "run away" list.

If i take a HP 8150 configuration page and lay it on the flatbed of the IR and print B&W . it looks fine.
    If i take that same page and print color the top of the page (even the words that are black only) is blurry(which would be the right or back side of the machine) the bottom of the page is faded on the colors(left or towards the front of the machine)
    I thought maybe scanner is having an issue i flipped the page and the top of the page was now faded and the bottom was now blurry.
    I tried to get her to print but she was in the office and busy and couldnt make it out and i am not sure how to even get this machine to print an internal test page. I know the belt cleaner was recently installed and i remember reading some tech notes of drum replaced but i don't recall how recent anymore.
    I need to get back there but am not familiar with this machine and need a lil help. Is there anything common that would cause this?
    Any tips on how to narrow it down or what steps i need to take to help get her get her machine back up so she is happy.
    Derrick

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    IR C3170 B7W prints crips Color blury and faded

Tell her to upgrade.

I hate this machine and so will you!
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

I wish i could, but she didn't consult us first and just purchased it off of some guy on craigslist for $2800. Then her and her bf loaded it themselvesand took it to their shop and i inherited all the problems that came with it.

The only tip I can offer is,

1. If your not a tech, don't bother.. Have a trained tech handle this machine.
    2. Your problem can be,

Developers,

ITB belt,

Transfer cleaning assy.

Consider having this machine checked out by a Canon tech.

http://www.gosccs.com/

Good luck.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

I am a tech..not canon trained but i repair almost any and everything but this one just stumps me and i do not want to order wrong parts which is why i came to the forum. The last tech replaced the transfer cleaner, but i need to find out if the problem was there before it was replaced..i kinda think it wasn't. Someone else told me to check the belt also so i am wondering if it is that or not....what should my next step be?

What's the count on this unit?

Why don't find a canon tech just to look at it and let him tell you what it might need, and then take it from there.

You also might want to get a service manual if your gonna be the to fix it.

Its a small machine but its a big pain in the ass.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    The customer's problem in poor judgement does not have to become your problem...

I agree with Screwtape,, back away from this one and let a trained tech look at it. The process of removing the ITB assembly to service it is not very easy or "intuitive" for the untrained. We who are trained on it, don't like to work on them, so I wouldn't ask a rookie to jump on that grenade.
    Last edited by mrfixit51; 08-20-2010 at 02:11 PM.

I understand. I always do love a good challenge and unfortunatly due to circumstances beyond my control (we hired another tech to go in - he tried to take her biz from under us,she paid him we paid him she paid him again..she never paid us type of story) even though she messed up by paying a tech..i am almost obligated to get it going to save face and collect money due.
    I did get the manual and read through it. Still a bit puzzled why the black and white version is clear while the color copy of the same exact page displays the problems i saw.I will go there and get counts and maybe scan a page in case an y pros want to take a crack at it. I once had a guy tell me to back away fron the Ricoh 3260C as it is their hardest machine(according to him) and i found that one to be quite simple. I have a feeling it isn't going to be the case this round but i still want to take a crack at it...just lookin for advice. I do hate this machine already.
    Derrick