Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Technician

iR4570 E240 when loading system software

Hi everyone, it's been a couple years since I've spent much time with Canons, but I had a dead HDD in one and I'm having trouble getting the new one to work.

Originally I had an E602-001 code, which was temporarily resolved by performing HDD check and reloading system software. The code eventually returned, and I could not get it to clear again.

I've tried replacing the HDD with a good used unit(not from a Canon), a brand-new 20GB purchased locally, and the actual Canon part(FK2-4907-000). I have the latest system software downloaded from Canon(USenv4003), and the Service Support Tool recognizes that a new HDD has been installed & asks if I want to initialize it. However, regardless of which drive I've installed, I receive an error message with E240 in the top-right corner of the popup box.

Am I missing a step, or is there something else wrong???

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the SST.

What version are you using?

Did you try reseating the bootrom and the dimm on the main controller?
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Technician
    I'll have to double-check which version of SST, but I just downloaded it about 2-weeks ago. I have not tried uninstall/reinstall, but I did reseat bootrom & DIMM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

E240 can be anything from your main controller to your boot rom to the HDD you are trying to install. Depending on the version you are trying to load you might need a 40 GB HDD and not that 20. Same scenario happened when Canon upgraded the 5800 series to a newer version several years ago and you had to install the 80 GB HDD instead of the older 40. If it was working fine before you had the E602 I would grab a larger HDD and try that.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Technician
    Is there any way to troubleshoot it to narrow it down before buying another(3rd) new HDD? Those are getting pricey!

do you know the sub code by chance?
    The E240 can be many things with communication on the main controller. It you could try reseating the connections on the board and the connection between the DC controller and the main controller as well.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Gossett View Post
    Hi everyone, it's been a couple years since I've spent much time with Canons, but I had a dead HDD in one and I'm having trouble getting the new one to work.

Originally I had an E602-001 code, which was temporarily resolved by performing HDD check and reloading system software. The code eventually returned, and I could not get it to clear again.

I've tried replacing the HDD with a good used unit(not from a Canon), a brand-new 20GB purchased locally, and the actual Canon part(FK2-4907-000). I have the latest system software downloaded from Canon(USenv4003), and the Service Support Tool recognizes that a new HDD has been installed & asks if I want to initialize it. However, regardless of which drive I've installed, I receive an error message with E240 in the top-right corner of the popup box.

Am I missing a step, or is there something else wrong???

Make sure u have only ver. of SST on Laptop
    Start SST
    **Format HD/
    after Format / Select and do an ALL_HDF
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by charm5496 View Post
    do you know the sub code by chance?
    The E240 can be many things with communication on the main controller. It you could try reseating the connections on the board and the connection between the DC controller and the main controller as well.
    This isn't actually a *copier* E240, it is the code that displays on the SST window. I've searched the knowledgebase, but it just suggests reseating the Bootrom & DIMM.

I have only installed the one version of SST on my PC, but I will uninstall/reinstall.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    If it has only been exhibiting this error since you did the format/system load, then it is doubtful that hardware beyond the hard drive would be at fault. Get a fresh version of the system software, uninstall it first from SST, reinstall it, and try again. If you are using the FK2-4907-000 drive, then all should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Gossett View Post
    This isn't actually a *copier* E240, it is the code that displays on the SST window. I've searched the knowledgebase, but it just suggests reseating the Bootrom & DIMM.

I have only installed the one version of SST on my PC, but I will uninstall/reinstall.
    That changes everything. You are reading solutions for E240's on your copier in the knowledgebase. I would uninstall your SST and download and reinstall it again. I would also dump the firmware and reinstall it as well. You have a communication issue between your laptop and the copier while the SST is trying to load the firmware. Try using the "assist mode" when you get it connected and it should make things easier for you.