Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Canon W6400 no power!

Canon W6400 no power!

Hi all

I have a Canon W6400 that does not power up.

It has been in storage for a year and now when it is turned on, all the lights on display blink once and after that there is no response from any of the controls on the panel and it makes a noise like a blower or the carriage is stuck. Along with these there is no display on the small screen on the control panel.

Anybody encountered this before?

Many thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon W6400 no power!

yikes!!!!
    Was the carriage locked in place before storage?
    If you are getting a noise and a blink then it is starting to boot up and then crashes. Pull the covers to see if the power supply is provding the proper voltages on the output side and from there you could have a bad controller
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Technician 250+ Posts
    The "blower noise" is normal as the paper is sucked down. Along the lines of what he said, I would check to see if the carriage was (and still is) locked in place. Normal process would be the carriage should be moving the print heads just after the "blower" starts. I would also try to find a maintenance log or the last people that worked with it as there was a reason it was in storage. After all that, I am afraid he is right - time to get out the meter and diagrams.

Side note: Normally work on the 8000, 8100, and 8400 but once you start getting into the boards, things get costly fast. IMO Board swapping would set the repair price over the replacement price real quick. Lucky for us any units were still under warranty so a purge unit, set of print heards, full set of inks, a main and power boards did not cost us anything - but if we did have to buy them, would have cost more that the original unit.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon W6400 no power!

U May have to replace System Controller/
    Check for loose connections/ check V on power supply
    was it functional before storage ???
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Canon W6400 no power!

Thanks for the support guys!

I visited it today and found the following:

The control panel illuminates at power on and the power light remains lit but no text in the display.

I can hear the fans blowing and watched the carriage move left and right 5cm's with the right side panel off.

I have connected my laptop to it, installed drivers etc to monitor the status and it says it is ready to print bar for the black ink tank which is stating empty (even tho it is half full). If I press 'print test page' the machine data LED flashes but then it says to load media but as the buttons do not work I cannot. . . . . . .plus the black is registering empty.

I have noticed that when I remove the other colour inks, the status does not seem to recognise I have removed them. . . . is this because the black has been removed or is in need of replacing?

I get the 'beep' when opening the ink tank door which seems ok. . . . .

I have reseated all connections on the PSU, main board, engine controller, NIC, memory and operation panel.

I think maybe it is simply a faulty control panel?

Technician 250+ Posts
    Not able to verify what I am about to say right now, and my memory is not what it was - When you turn it on, the carriage should move the heads to the far left - way more than 5cm. May want to start by making sure the heads are uncapped as it sounds like they may be hanging up and then return to home. Could turn unit off, trip the carriage release, and see if you can physically move the heards out of home.

You may be closing in on needing to get someone trained on wide formats. I know when I do an onsite I have a lot more success than "long distance".