Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
    I have to agree somewhat on the financial rewards of this job. It is at least twice as complex now as when I started in '73, and the money offered to the average tech has not kept pace with level of expertise a professional is required to perform at these days.

But,, the industry does not place that high of a value on what we do,, so the money is what it is...

that's the facts Jack
    We do it for the love of the sport now mrfixit51

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Don't know about other locations & Sorry to disagree , but Experienced Color Copier Techs & Troubleshooters are not at the bottom of the food chain in NYC (New York City). Only the strong survive here, word of mouth on Reliable,Honest, Knowledgeable Service People & Service Companies goes a long way in the City. With many Fortune 500 Companies here, if u can't Fix it now, contract or no contract, you are out on your ass.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Apples and Oranges,,,

We are talking about two different ideas here, I was speaking to the wage situation. I work for the strongest dealer in my area, and am one of the higher rated techs in my company, an "Experienced Color Copier Tech", but the money we are paid is not going to rise above a certain level. I assume that regional pay scales come into the picture here, but never the less, the industry as a whole is not going to overpay their employees, because that takes money out of the owners pockets.

I have worked for the largest service organization in the world, I.B.M. The duties I had at I.B.M. had me working on a wide gamut of technologies, office equipment, banking equipment, mid level computer systems like the System 36, progenitor to the AS400. I was rated highly proficient in those areas. Because of that I was paid very well,,, that was then.

I have worked for a privately owned company of 35 employees. My current employer bought up this smaller company, and the organization is now around 200 people. I am still highly rated, but the realities of this industry are that they are only willing to pay up to a certain dollar value for the work we do. And this is now.

We all face the possible loss of contracts, but what I find is the largest motivator in our region is the bottom line. Cost. There always seems to be someone willing to get along on .0000000001 per copy. I know, an exaggeration, but still the truth. The contracts that we have lost have always been do to cost, not reputation. The decision makers are never the ones affected day-to-day by the poor choices they make concerning copier purchases,,, that is for the "little people" to deal with.

good job mr.screwtape...nice video

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit51 View Post
    Apples and Oranges,,,

We are talking about two different ideas here, I was speaking to the wage situation. I work for the strongest dealer in my area, and am one of the higher rated techs in my company, an "Experienced Color Copier Tech", but the money we are paid is not going to rise above a certain level. I assume that regional pay scales come into the picture here, but never the less, the industry as a whole is not going to overpay their employees, because that takes money out of the owners pockets.

I have worked for the largest service organization in the world, I.B.M. The duties I had at I.B.M. had me working on a wide gamut of technologies, office equipment, banking equipment, mid level computer systems like the System 36, progenitor to the AS400. I was rated highly proficient in those areas. Because of that I was paid very well,,, that was then.

I have worked for a privately owned company of 35 employees. My current employer bought up this smaller company, and the organization is now around 200 people. I am still highly rated, but the realities of this industry are that they are only willing to pay up to a certain dollar value for the work we do. And this is now.

We all face the possible loss of contracts, but what I find is the largest motivator in our region is the bottom line. Cost. There always seems to be someone willing to get along on .0000000001 per copy. I know, an exaggeration, but still the truth. The contracts that we have lost have always been do to cost, not reputation. The decision makers are never the ones affected day-to-day by the poor choices they make concerning copier purchases,,, that is for the "little people" to deal with.
    Great post, Mr. Fixit!

I must agree; the industry just doesn't seem to worth as it much as it was even a few years ago.

An example: In 2005, depending on the speed of the machine, we would charge between $650 to $1,000 to set a machine up for basic print and scan - and that was per machine, not for a fleet. (imageRUNNER 110 installs started at $5,000 back then.)

Today, a basic print and scan may get us about $200, at most. More often than not, it's given away as part of some promotional package.

Because machines are built better than they were in the past (at least for the most part), they bring in much less revenue than they used to.

Then, on the sales side, there is less and less profit in every deal. In fact, quite a few deals are written at or even below cost, just to get the business, with hopes of making it up on clicks. Then, of course, the click charges are at rock bottom, too.

It's for these reasons that this is an extremely difficult business to stay afloat in.

No wonder service wages always seem to be so far behind the times.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    Secret Life of Machines is the best.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tinnyjay's Avatar
    "Who loves the roses,must also bear thumbs"

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Quote Originally Posted by tinnyjay View Post

we don't need the copy process explained here , save it for your shop or field trainees
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copy theory process

msaeger: The youtube clips are great! I recognized quite a few of those antiques. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=