Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Copy theory process

For those rookies who don't know the photocopying process.
    Learn how Photocopiers Work Video
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Did you notice this is analog technology? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Thats were I started.

I will find a digital one.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Have you seen the show "How it is made"?
    I had rookie techs watch the video on copiers and faxes.
    Their support calls to me dropped and their numbers went up.
    The basics are always best.
    Have you ever found a flat spot in a motor by reading the voltage output as you spin the shaft?

My thoughts go out to the families @ discovery channel.
    They made learning fun.
    Gunman Shot at Discovery Channel; Hostages Safe - CBS News
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWTAPE View Post
    Thats were I started.

I will find a digital one.
    SCREWTAPE/ have u seen this Copy Machine Law proposal on HDD"s

good read

YouTube video is great/ other CBS link broken

copy machine posts - CBS News Investigates - CBS News

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    How can you fix it if you don't understand what it is doing?
    Biggest problem for newbie techs has always been their troubleshooting skills. It is the hardest thing to teach.
    Some guys are natural at it and others after 20 years still are poor troubleshooters. Bottom line though is to start by understanding how it works and the processes involved. I have had up to 22 techs working for me and maybe out of that group I had 2 great troubleshooters, 5 good ts', 5 OK ts' and 5 poor ones and I found the clearer they were on the fundamentals and understanding the processes in the equipment, the better they were in general at troubleshooting.
    The other fault I've seen and done myself is the "This fixed this problem before so if I do it again it will fix the problem again" , so they repeat and repeat the attempted fix to no avail. The same symptoms can be caused by various other issues and that's were understanding the processes will help you get unstuck from that closed loop of thought.
    And we all know the KISS rule but sometimes we fail to remember and practice it.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Copy theory process

Quote Originally Posted by Ducttape n Glue View Post
    How can you fix it if you don't understand what it is doing?
    Biggest problem for newbie techs has always been their troubleshooting skills. It is the hardest thing to teach.
    Some guys are natural at it and others after 20 years still are poor troubleshooters. Bottom line though is to start by understanding how it works and the processes involved. I have had up to 22 techs working for me and maybe out of that group I had 2 great troubleshooters, 5 good ts', 5 OK ts' and 5 poor ones and I found the clearer they were on the fundamentals and understanding the processes in the equipment, the better they were in general at troubleshooting.
    The other fault I've seen and done myself is the "This fixed this problem before so if I do it again it will fix the problem again" , so they repeat and repeat the attempted fix to no avail. The same symptoms can be caused by various other issues and that's were understanding the processes will help you get unstuck from that closed loop of thought.
    And we all know the KISS rule but sometimes we fail to remember and practice it.

If u don't understand the copy process or how a machine functions after 6/8 mos. training in the field or in a repair shop, u are in the wrong business.
    Either u get it or u don't.

Troubleshooting is all about following a procedure, be it analog or digital. U review & evaluate the situation, past history if available, talk to previous service person, talk to customer. Also, some troubleshooters are excellent at mechanical,& stink on electrical . The very good ones know how to approach an issue, keep good notes, and extend their knowledge in both areas.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    [QUOTE=teckat;162295]
    If u don't understand the copy process or how a machine functions after 6/8 mos. training in the field or in a repair shop, u are in the wrong business.

Troubleshooting is all about following a procedure, be it analog or digital. U review - Subjective & evaluate the situation - Subjective, past history if available, talk to previous service person- Subjective, talk to customer-Subjective. Also, some troubleshooters are excellent at mechanical,& stink on electrical . The very good ones know how to approach an issue-Subjective, keep good notes-Subjective, and extend their knowledge in both areas-Subjective.[/QUOTE]

All true....... the differences from the natural guys and others is how good are they at the subjective. All minds do not work alike. Most techs grow with the job and experience and it is true many drop out once they realize the job requirements, whether it is their lack of skill set and or their desire and drive to be in this field.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    [QUOTE=Ducttape n Glue;162302]
    Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post

Troubleshooting is all about following a procedure, be it analog or digital. U review - Subjective & evaluate the situation - Subjective, past history if available, talk to previous service person- Subjective, talk to customer-Subjective. Also, some troubleshooters are excellent at mechanical,& stink on electrical . The very good ones know how to approach an issue-Subjective, keep good notes-Subjective, and extend their knowledge in both areas-Subjective.[/QUOTE]

All true....... the differences from the natural guys and others is how good are they at the subjective. All minds do not work alike. Most techs grow with the job and experience and it is true many drop out once they realize the job requirements, whether it is their lack of skill set and or their desire and drive to be in this field.
    I think alot of guys drop out of the biz is cos' a copier isn't just a copier anymore.You need IT skills as well as the ever changing models that come out every couple of months.You also need to be aware of solutions for the customer which are also linked with the multi-functional product that you are servicing.We don't just repair copiers anymore,we are expected to sort all problems.The expectations and training of engineers increases but the salary doesn't.To get young kids into this business it has to be attractive financially.My kids most definitely won't be following in there fathers footsteps.I may sound like a grumpy old man (44 yrs) but I have worked for small,middle and multinational companies.A service engineer is pretty much bottom of the food chain.We don't see ourselves in that light but that is a reality.I agree that some guys are natural and some aren't but at the end of the day it is all about the money.It's only a job folks....

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    I have to agree somewhat on the financial rewards of this job. It is at least twice as complex now as when I started in '73, and the money offered to the average tech has not kept pace with level of expertise a professional is required to perform at these days.

But,, the industry does not place that high of a value on what we do,, so the money is what it is...

that's the facts Jack