Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Too much toner

Technician

Too much toner

I’ve got a CLC900 that has been working OK. Have suspected that it was applying too much black toner for some time. Now suddenly my prints are getting worse. There are smears from left to right of what appears to be excess toner. Also there is toner dripping on to the paper in the A3 tray. Open the machine up and there is heaps of toner sitting on the floor of the machine below the drum area. Have pulled out the cleaning blades and emptied the excess tonner from the catchers. The blades are in average condition but I feel that it may be a case of just too much toner being applied to the drum as opposed to needing to replace the blades. Hopefully I don’t need to replace the blades as it is becoming a bit difficult to find parts and consumables for it.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by moodie007; 09-08-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Too much toner

Time for a developing change. C.Y.M.K

The starter is getting to weak to attract toner.

Wow CLC900.

Don't miss doing developers.

I like popping drums in instead.

Thank You Canon.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Too much toner

Quote Originally Posted by moodie007 View Post
    I’ve got a CLC900 that has been working OK. Have suspected that it was applying too much black toner for some time. Now suddenly my prints are getting worse. There are smears from left to right of what appears to be excess toner. Also there is toner dripping on to the paper in the A3 tray. Open the machine up and there is heaps of toner sitting on the floor of the machine below the drum area. Have pulled out the cleaning blades and emptied the excess tonner from the catchers. The blades are in average condition but I feel that it may be a case of just too much toner being applied to the drum as opposed to needing to replace the blades. Hopefully I don’t need to replace the blades as it is becoming a bit difficult to find parts and consumables for it.
    Anyone have any ideas?

I hope u are trained on this model to do a Full Dev chg !!!!

u also need to check the bunny brush unit-(trans drum cleaning roller) u may have paper jammed inside unit/ causing waste toner to spill out

with over 10yrs of tech pubs on that model/ u have a lot of courage to still work on it
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician
    Looking at the manual it dosnt look that hard lol. Famous last words I bet. As its just the black that is doing this id imagine its the developer also.

Might just get a black starter and try that out first. If all works well ill then do the others. Sound fair enough?

To be honest the machine only owes me like $160NZ so far so its prob worth putting a few more $$$ in to with out going to crazy.

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Too much toner

Good luck my friend.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Too much toner

Quote Originally Posted by moodie007 View Post
    Looking at the manual it dosnt look that hard lol. Famous last words I bet. As its just the black that is doing this id imagine its the developer also.

Might just get a black starter and try that out first. If all works well ill then do the others. Sound fair enough?

To be honest the machine only owes me like $160NZ so far so its prob worth putting a few more $$$ in to with out going to crazy.
    Follow the installation steps and do not stray from them. Vac out everything you can get to while you have all the developers out. Also check your drive gears on the developer while you are turning them on the dump. Oh and by the way your thumb will be killing you by the time you are finished with the forth one. I remember doing 5 machines in one day...I wanted to quit after that!!!!

Take a picture of your drum and post it on here if you can. After the drum gets old the ATR assembly starts trying to overcompensate on the black and can cause overtoning on the black only as well. You can tell if the drum is bad by the color of it (should be grey and not green) and you will see tiger striping on the surface from age.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Too much toner

**Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    While you have your vac out, make sure you DO NOT vacuum out the developers, or the sensors inside the developers could get static shocked and go south on you,,,,, from the voice of experience ;-(