Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

SMB Scanning, Firewall exceptions and folder permission questions

hi friends,

recently i have been hit with this problem, the usual practice for me to set up a SMB folder is to share the folder in the public directory and allow all permissions and also disabling any third party firewall that might be on the system. The works perfectly but sadly it takes away some of the security elements on terminals

I'm wondering if there is a way to keep the firewall on to just add an exception for SMB scanning? I understand that adding an exception to spoolsv.exe allows printing. is there something similar for SMB scanning?

Hope someone can help shed some light into this.

Cheers!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junkiemanxl View Post
    hi friends,

recently i have been hit with this problem, the usual practice for me to set up a SMB folder is to share the folder in the public directory and allow all permissions and also disabling any third party firewall that might be on the system. The works perfectly but sadly it takes away some of the security elements on terminals

I'm wondering if there is a way to keep the firewall on to just add an exception for SMB scanning? I understand that adding an exception to spoolsv.exe allows printing. is there something similar for SMB scanning?

Hope someone can help shed some light into this.

Cheers!

what model is this on

Windows Firewall
    On the Exceptions tab, you can define which programs and ports will be allowed by the Windows Firewall. These programs and ports will not be blocked. Click 'Add Program' to add an installed program to the Exceptions list. Highlight any item on the list and click 'Edit' (or double click the item) to view what specific ports have been opened for that item. Click 'Add Port' to manually add additional TCP and UDP ports to the Exceptions list. Be sure to properly define the scope for these settings (ex. 'Any computer (including those on the Internet)', 'My network (subnet) only', or 'Custom list). You can also select whether or not to display a notification when Windows Firewall blocks a program.

On the Advanced tab, you can configure specific settings for each individual network connection on the computer, logging, and rules for ICMP traffic (ex. the PING command).
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Technician
    I'm having the same results with these models.

IR3300i, IR3320i, IR3045, IR4570 , IRC3200, IRC3220

I will try the exclusions that you have mentioned on windows firewall.
    How about 3rd party firewall software? (e.g norton , norman , kaspersky) Should i try applying the same for these as well?

Thx

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

give it a shot~~~~~~~
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Just a note,
    I've been to a few boxes with Macafee installed on them that will NOT print or scan. Ya have to go into Macafee and set up permissions for the ip of the copier.
    Just an FYI.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.