Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Canon ImageClass D340 Light Copies from Feeder?

Hello everyone,

Is anybody familiar with these little laser printers? I have a customer that when making copies from the document feeder, the outputs are coming out very light(almost blank), but if they copy from the platen glass, the copies are perfect.

Very strange issue, they explained to me that it does not happen all the time. For example, they may put 10 pages in the feeder, the first 5 will be very light and then the last 5 may be perfect.

When I was first out there, I cleaned the df slit glass, but didnt not make a difference, and i noticed a lot of dust on the underside of the glass, so i took apart the entire doc feed/optics section to get at and clean the underside of the slit glass and optics as well, while i had the section opened, i cleaned the scanner HP sensor as well.

It seemed that my cleaning job had solved the issue, because the copies looked great from the feeder,I ran a good 50+ copies with no problems, but I was sad to hear back from the customer again a couple days later and they said the same problem is happening.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of, is maybe if the scanner is not reaching its Home Position under the doc feeder slit glass? Or maybe the paper isnt making full contact with the slit glass, i dunno....HELP!

Thanks!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just thinking out loud here....The paper must be making good contact with the scanner glass, otherwise if there was a gap, the scanner light would not reflect off the paper as well and cause a dark background.

Their doesnt seem to be any other distortion to the image other than being very light.

If that Home Position sensor was bad, wouldn't there be other problems while scanning from the platen?

Hmmm.,..

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mntech View Post
    Hello everyone,

Is anybody familiar with these little laser printers? I have a customer that when making copies from the document feeder, the outputs are coming out very light(almost blank), but if they copy from the platen glass, the copies are perfect.

Very strange issue, they explained to me that it does not happen all the time. For example, they may put 10 pages in the feeder, the first 5 will be very light and then the last 5 may be perfect.

When I was first out there, I cleaned the df slit glass, but didnt not make a difference, and i noticed a lot of dust on the underside of the glass, so i took apart the entire doc feed/optics section to get at and clean the underside of the slit glass and optics as well, while i had the section opened, i cleaned the scanner HP sensor as well.

It seemed that my cleaning job had solved the issue, because the copies looked great from the feeder,I ran a good 50+ copies with no problems, but I was sad to hear back from the customer again a couple days later and they said the same problem is happening.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of, is maybe if the scanner is not reaching its Home Position under the doc feeder slit glass? Or maybe the paper isnt making full contact with the slit glass, i dunno....HELP!

Thanks!!

Ensure that "Toner Saver" mode is turned "Off"
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I dont think this is a toner saver mode, it only does it from the DF, not from the platen glass, and the copiers are so light, they are almost blank

I dont think this is a toner saver mode, it only does it from the DF, not from the platen glass, and the copiers are so light, they are almost blank

doesn't the DF has it's own platen reading glass/lamp for scanning docs/ check cable from DF

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well like most copiers, the DF does have its own glass, but the lamp for scanning is the same for the DF as for the main platen, it just moves under the DF glass when it comes time to copy from the feeder.

Anybody else have any ideas? I've never seen an issue like this before, neither for a desktop copier or for a larger stand alone.

Just wanted to add this picture for anybody who may not know what the machine looks like, but might have ideas.

Well like most copiers, the DF does have its own glass, but the lamp for scanning is the same for the DF as for the main platen, it just moves under the DF glass when it comes time to copy from the feeder.

Anybody else have any ideas? I've never seen an issue like this before, neither for a desktop copier or for a larger stand alone.

is there a mirror in that DF Unit/ or a CIS -contact image sensor assembly ?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teckat View Post
    is there a mirror in that DF Unit/ or a CIS -contact image sensor assembly ?

No mirrors...

Must have a CIS in there / That DF is same on a Canon Laser Class 510

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yeah it has a CIS. Most of the machines I work on use a lamp+mirrors+CCD to scan.

Would the CIS cause the light copies from the feeder if there were a gap between the paper and the scaner glass?