Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Question Phone Home Meter Read

what is the easiest/cheapest (or free) way to automate (email or data transfer) my meter reads from the copiers back to my office?

Canon IR 3025, 3035, 2270, 3570, 5000

Man About Town 250+ Posts CanonSco's Avatar
    Good question.

The IR5000 will be the issue as it does not support ERDS ( Canon's auto meter reading system ). The rest of the machines have this embedded. Although I personally have never set it up to send readings anywhere other than Canon's own billing server. Has anyone on here?

As for the 5000 , Canon has RDS "agents" , small interface boxes that hang anywhere on the network to poll this info on legacy machines and send it either via EMAIL or HTTPS. Again I have only ever set these up to send to Canons own UGW billing portal / server.

On both the embedded and agent solutions this destination URL and port are changeable though.

Not sure that helps ya though..
    Yes, I am a nerd.
    Gaming PC - check. Raspberry Pi - Check. Custom ROM on phone - check. Thick glasses - check.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Canon imageware Enterprise Management Console (iWEMC) should do the trick.

As I recall, it's a free solution, but you have to be a dealer to download it.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Phone Home Meter Read

There are trial plugins. But as Ken mention, you have to be a dealer to download it.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I don't know about the current version (3.0), but I'm pretty sure that versions 1 and 2 were free.

(I haven't used the product for a few years now.)

Once you had the main (web based) application. you added the "meter capture" plugin, and configured it to email monthly reports.

It definitely must be acquired through an authorized dealer, and there is a very good chance that your dealer would not just hand you the software, but rather charge you to install it.

You would NOT want to install it yourself, as doing so is absolutely not for the timid - it's anything but straightforward. (The manual for it is 482 pages!)

Again, the rules may have changed for version 3.

Of course, you should still be able to get older versions of WebJet Admin (WJA) from HP at no cost. (The product's latest versions aren't free like they used to be.)

Hope this helps!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Phone Home Meter Read

Quote Originally Posted by johnm@ucopier.com View Post
    what is the easiest/cheapest (or free) way to automate (email or data transfer) my meter reads from the copiers back to my office?

Check PM /iMAGEWARE !!
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Phone Home Meter Read

Quote Originally Posted by johnm@ucopier.com View Post

imageWARE Enterprise Management Console is a network device management system that enables the centralized management of networked printing devices (Canon and third party networked devices with a standard print MIB) and your printing environment from the Web browser of a PC connected to the same network. Information retrieved from the networked printing devices is stored on either the computer running this application or on a server computer. imageWARE Enterprise Management Console is built upon a unique framework that allows expandability of features in the form of plug-ins. It reduces the IT Manager's workload by offering a multitude of features such as: discovering new devices at set intervals automatically, sending e-mail alerts about device errors, retrieving device settings information and delivering the same setting to a fleet of devices.

Key features:

• Centralized Device Management

imageWARE Enterprise Management Console detects printing devices connected to the network, and stores their information in a database. The information stored in the database is managed using imageWARE Enterprise Management Console, which also enables you to specify settings for the printing devices.

• Viewing Status of a Device

imageWARE Enterprise Management Console enables you to check the status of printing devices from a list. It also enables you to notify a user via e-mail when an error has occurred in a printing device, or a printing device has stopped responding.

• Managing/Setting Devices Using Automated Tasks

imageWARE Enterprise Management Console enables you to create automated tasks, specifying the target devices, content, and date and time to perform device management operations. Complicated device management operations can be easily performed using automated tasks. Furthermore, device management operations performed as automated tasks can be viewed or re-used after being executed.

• Notifying Users

The communication tools of imageWARE Enterprise Management Console enable you to easily send notices to users.
    Use [Notice List] to notify all the users with access privileges for the [Notice List] page.
    Use [Message List] to notify individual users with access privileges for the [Message List] page.

• Distributed Service Discovery

If your environment contains a large number of devices, installing imageWARE Enterprise Management Console in multiple computers enables you to use the computers as device management servers, and reduce the workload on the computers and the network.
    Using the Distributed Service function also enables you to detect other computers which have imageWARE Enterprise Management Console installed.

• Adding Functions Using Plug-ins

imageWARE Enterprise Management Console enable addition of various functions using plug-ins. Adding plug-ins allows you to expand the functions of imageWARE Enterprise Management Console, enabling it to be utility software for integrated printing environment management for client computers as well as printing devices.

Phone Home Meter Read

imageWARE Enterprise Management Console will support the >iR 5000