Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    End User 250+ Posts

Waste toner reuse?

Firstly this forum was a real PITA to sign up to, it literally took over 20 times refilling the registration form (as it wipes it clean if you have an error) before it accepted all my entries. I'm sorry if I entered gibberish in some fields but after refilling the form 20 times I was about to smash the computer.

I'm new here and it seems like this is a site for really big machines, I'm "only" using an $800 Canon machine. This is my first laser printer as I had used only business inkjets due to their dramatically lower cost per page than laser (and I'm of course keeping the inkjet for low cost printing).

My question is, I refill my cartridges and empty the waste toner compartment, it seems like after emptying the waste about 10 times I'd have enough waste toner collected to refill the main container.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this or would it work? Or what about putting the waste toner back in the main container and then filling the rest with new toner on every refill?

Thanks

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Waste toner reuse?

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    Firstly this forum was a real PITA to sign up to, it literally took over 20 times refilling the registration form (as it wipes it clean if you have an error) before it accepted all my entries. I'm sorry if I entered gibberish in some fields but after refilling the form 20 times I was about to smash the computer.

I'm new here and it seems like this is a site for really big machines, I'm "only" using an $800 Canon machine. This is my first laser printer as I had used only business inkjets due to their dramatically lower cost per page than laser (and I'm of course keeping the inkjet for low cost printing).

My question is, I refill my cartridges and empty the waste toner compartment, it seems like after emptying the waste about 10 times I'd have enough waste toner collected to refill the main container.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this or would it work? Or what about putting the waste toner back in the main container and then filling the rest with new toner on every refill?

Thanks

I have a suggestion where u can put your waste toner ????

Guess Where ??

You sound like the a jerk that would put their oil change back in their car.

to ask a question like that, u should have not wasted time joining this Real Support Forum.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Waste toner reuse?

i tried it in kip1880 and ir7200, the print out was quite dirty but not obvious. After 2 days it come out full page of small dot spots. At the end resulting drum cleaning and developer cleaning, oftenly drum cleaning will very harm the unit. Sometimes you will get blur copy resulting wasting tone of papers espeacially you are not aware when doing sets copy . Reuse waste toner its similar like:

wasting paper + time of oftenly maintanance + low lifespent of hardware

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Yes please reuse it.... and here is my number for when it breaks so I can come and fix it for ya... I need the money.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RRodgers View Post
    Yes please reuse it.... and here is my number for when it breaks so I can come and fix it for ya... I need the money.
    Hehe. Do it.

no question in re-cycling it.. u could re-cycle it until the black toner fades away and white copies comes out
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Hehe. Do it.

Yea, I remember a school reusing the waste toner on a Ricoh I was servicing. Cut the PM life down to almost 1/2 of what it was suppose to be. I could not figure out what was going on. So one day I was out changing the developer out again and the secretary was giving me h**l over how bad the machine was, and as I was going to empty the waste bottle the secretary said wait, we put that back in the machine. "Got ya"

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    Waste toner reuse?

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    If you think an ink based machine has a lower per page cost than a toner based machine.....you couldn't be more wrong wrong wrong. And as for reusing waste toner......could it be any more obvious that this will only harm the equipment? I like oem cartridges but ....You'd be better off risking buying a cheap compatible toner to save money. At least that would be new toner......
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    Yea, I remember a school reusing the waste toner on a Ricoh I was servicing. Cut the PM life down to almost 1/2 of what it was suppose to be. I could not figure out what was going on. So one day I was out changing the developer out again and the secretary was giving me h**l over how bad the machine was, and as I was going to empty the waste bottle the secretary said wait, we put that back in the machine. "Got ya"
    I always thought there should be a user training course in high school.

techjunkie
    It's a good thing you are messing with "only" $800 machines- you'll be replacing 'em early and often. I say go ahead and smash your computer.