Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    End User 250+ Posts

Identical Canon/HP copiers, who makes them, Canon or HP?

I noticed a few Canon and HP copiers/all in ones are absolutely identical other than the outside appearance. For example the Canon MF8350Cdn is an exact duplicate of the HP Color Laserjet CM2320, only the scanner is different, the printers are identical.

In fact, I use HP cartridges in my Canon machine because they cost much less (I would have thought they would have made a difference on the smartchip data to prevent HP cartridges from working in the Canon but it works).

My question is, who is actually making them and who is just sticking their logo on the other brand's machine?

In any case this was my first and last Canon machine, although the printers are identical, the user friendliness of the Canon is non existent and the driver has beyond absurd limitations (you can't print more than 99 pages when printing from a computer, I'm strongly considering returning it as all my print jobs are well above 100 pages but hoping Canon makes a driver update). The identical HP printer doesn't have a silly 99 page limit. On top of that, the Canon's scanner doesn't even do double sided scanning, ALL HP machines have double sided scanning AFAIK.

Out of about 12 printers I've only bought 2 non-HP printers and regretted it both times, this time with the Canon and it's ridiculous 99 page print limit and non user friendly menus, and the other was an epson with a [non replaceable] printhead that failed after 2 weeks/50 pages, I hated Epson before buying it as all reviews of their printers mention the printheads failing like this and hate them even more. I even had an extended warranty on the epson which I never bothered using as it's no use getting a new one that will also fail after 2 weeks/50 pages. I couldn't even sell it on ebay for 1 cent. I finally gave it for recycling, hopefully they recycle it into an HP printer.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    I noticed a few Canon and HP copiers/all in ones are absolutely identical other than the outside appearance. For example the Canon MF8350Cdn is an exact duplicate of the HP Color Laserjet CM2320, only the scanner is different, the printers are identical.

In fact, I use HP cartridges in my Canon machine because they cost much less (I would have thought they would have made a difference on the smartchip data to prevent HP cartridges from working in the Canon but it works).

My question is, who is actually making them and who is just sticking their logo on the other brand's machine?

In any case this was my first and last Canon machine, although the printers are identical, the user friendliness of the Canon is non existent and the driver has beyond absurd limitations (you can't print more than 99 pages when printing from a computer, I'm strongly considering returning it as all my print jobs are well above 100 pages but hoping Canon makes a driver update). The identical HP printer doesn't have a silly 99 page limit. On top of that, the Canon's scanner doesn't even do double sided scanning, ALL HP machines have double sided scanning AFAIK.

Out of about 12 printers I've only bought 2 non-HP printers and regretted it both times, this time with the Canon and it's ridiculous 99 page print limit and non user friendly menus, and the other was an epson with a [non replaceable] printhead that failed after 2 weeks/50 pages, I hated Epson before buying it as all reviews of their printers mention the printheads failing like this and hate them even more. I even had an extended warranty on the epson which I never bothered using as it's no use getting a new one that will also fail after 2 weeks/50 pages. I couldn't even sell it on ebay for 1 cent. I finally gave it for recycling, hopefully they recycle it into an HP printer.

who even cares about those crappy desktop printers/ or any desktop toys-
    maybe end users do/ but serious Canon Field Techs Don't !!!!!!!!!

When HP can put out a machine to compete with a Canon imagePress 6000/7000-
    or a Canon imageRunner Advanced Series model - sent me a note !!!!!!!!!!!!!

otherwise go post that nonsense on Facebook for a vote

this is a Tech Support site/ not a survey site

Case Closed.JPG
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

End User 250+ Posts
    HP has inkjets that are faster than that huge imagePress you posted.

Anyway I realized this is a forum for bigger printers than I'm using but hoping I can still get answers, if not what would be a good forum for these smaller color copiers?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

HP has inkjets that are faster than that huge imagePress you posted.

Anyway I realized this is a forum for bigger printers than I'm using but hoping I can still get answers, if not what would be a good forum for these smaller color copiers?

Speed has Nothing to do with Quality
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

End User 250+ Posts
    Well from the prints I've seen no laser printer comes close to the print quality of inkjets. Even $100 HP inkjets beat the print quality of $10 000 HP laserjets. And comparing my HP business inkjet to the Canon laser is also no comparison, the HP makes far superior print quality (after all it's 4800 DPI vs 600). Plus many inkjets use light cyan and light magenta for perfect photo quality, as far as I know, no laser printer uses light cyan and light magenta.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar

Wink Would you like some crackers and cheese to go along with that whine?

The answer to your problems is to swallow the $800 mistake you have made, sell the item on ebay, and buy the best HP you can afford. We cannot help you beyond the advice/counsel that has already been given...

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts

Nowadays neither Company makes those smaller laser printers/copiers/mfp's or inkjet printers.------They are made by Flextronics in Singapore. And HP Laserjets have always used the technology designed and patented by Canon since like forever.
    Last edited by blazebusiness; 10-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Harsh !!!

Canon LBP-CX engine was the first laser engine and HP used that technology along with Apple. Later they started to develope their own technology thru others.

There is a need and place for everything. Be sure your placement will meet your needs before your purchase and I know dollars count for many of us. You'll pay one way or another, less up front and more per print/copy as you use it and then replace it, or more up front and less as you use it for a longer time. Generally speaking.

There are lots of cross named manufacturer models out there.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

I'm no Cannon tech, but my 0,02€:

- About the driver's 99 copies limit, since you can use the HP cartridges, have you tried to use the HP drivers also? If one works, the other could also work.

- About inkjet vs laser quality: Inkjet is usually better-looking than laser. But that comes at a often steep price, since one inkjet print is usually equivalent to several laser prints.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blazebusiness View Post
    Nowadays neither Company makes those smaller laser printers/copiers/mfp's or inkjet printers.------They are made by Flextronics in Singapore. And HP Laserjets have always used the technology designed and patented by Canon since like forever. But how does knowing that help you?
    I'm pretty sure HP stopped using Canon laser tech in the late 90's and went to another company for laser development, can't remember their name right now.