Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    End User 250+ Posts

Can anyone explain how this type of color laser printer works?

I have the Canon MF8350Cdn, it has 4 in line toner cartridges and each have an imaging drum, inside the printer there's a large belt below where the cartridge drums are and closing the door lowers the cartridge drums over the belt.

I had assumed the paper passed between the drums on the cartridges and the belt, but I opened the cartridge door while it was printing to see inside and noticed the image was on the transfer belt directly with no paper in between.

So firstly, how do the lasers hit the drums of the cartridges? I don't see any path for light to get from anywhere to the cartridge drums, there's the cartridges above with only the bottom of the drum exposed and the image transfer belt right under, so how can the lasers reach the drums? Or do they not? And if not then how would the image be created without being "projected" onto the drums?

Secondly why does it "print" on the belt and then transfer to paper, why not print directly on paper?

This is the type of printer that's the same speed in color and black and white.

Does the transfer belt have a limited lifespan? Only the cartridges seem to be listed as consumable parts. If it has a limited lifespan can it be replaced in my model? The printer's duty cycle is 40 000 prints per month.

End User 250+ Posts
    Think I found the answer to how the lasers hit the drums, a small slit at the top of each cartridge exposes the top of the drum, I assume the lasers hit them from the top through this slit.

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts
    Can anyone explain how this type of color laser printer works?

Possibility. Start with the basics

Copy theory process=
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SCREWTAPE View Post
    Possibility. Start with the basics

Copy theory process=
    I know exactly how a laser printer works, but even as your video shows the image is printed directly on the paper. I was wondering why in mine it's "printed" onto the transfer belt and then to the paper, why not directly to the paper like in the video you posted?

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    It's kinda small, maybe it has only laser with prism to make 4 beams. Or is it a led printer?

Also all big canon IRC printers use an ITB. I guess the electrical properties of the belt helps transferring the color image. Color printing is about putting several layers of toner, C M Y and K on top of each other, by "mixing" the layers on an ITB first, the toner amounts are more accurate and image is better.

End User 250+ Posts
    If it had only one laser wouldn't it be 4 times slower in color? This model is 21 ppm in either black or color. I'm quite sure it has one separate laser per color.

Thanks for answering my question about why it goes onto a belt first.

Does the ITB have a limited life? If so about how many prints?

This copier is rated for 40k prints per month and the ITB isn't listed in the consumable parts (only the cartridges are listed as consumables and they contain the drums, corona wires, etc.), so I assume it has a very long life?

But I've seen some ITB "cartridges" for certain printers with a 50 000 page life, I hope that's not the case in my copier as at it's recommended maximum use the ITB would last about 40 days!

So is the ITB something that will last hundreds of thousands of prints?