Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon PC920 Sheet feader won't feed from tray

Hi, My Church school has a Canon PC920. It will process a manually fed cut sheet, but will not take the sheets from the paper tray. I have taken the machine apart, cleaned the white gear assembly (the "clutch" for the larger gear, which is just a spring, does not seem to keep the gear from spinning as I can turn the gear in the other direction against the clutch) and can manually turn the feed rollers to feed a sheet of paper. The solenoids are working properly. Any advice to help me get the unit going again would be greatly appreciated.

I am no longer a tech, but was certified on HP, OCE and Xerox wide format machines. I started as a tech when they used ammonia to make blue-line prints, a looong time ago. Oddly enough the manufacturer's name was Blu-ray.

Thanks,
    Michael

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_V View Post
    Hi, My Church school has a Canon PC920. It will process a manually fed cut sheet, but will not take the sheets from the paper tray. I have taken the machine apart, cleaned the white gear assembly (the "clutch" for the larger gear, which is just a spring, does not seem to keep the gear from spinning as I can turn the gear in the other direction against the clutch) and can manually turn the feed rollers to feed a sheet of paper. The solenoids are working properly. Any advice to help me get the unit going again would be greatly appreciated.

I am no longer a tech, but was certified on HP, OCE and Xerox wide format machines. I started as a tech when they used ammonia to make blue-line prints, a looong time ago. Oddly enough the manufacturer's name was Blu-ray.

Thanks,
    Michael

Canon PC920 Supplies and Parts (All)

Canon PC920 Clutches

lube collar spring goes on / if there is one/should be a one way clutch ???
    may have a cracked paper feed sensor arm
    clutch feed lever position

how are the feed rollers

FB2-5163-000 spring
    H0025.jpg

FS5-0883-000 34t gear clutch
    H0670.jpg

check this gear below for cracks
    Gear 25T Drives Paper Feed Roller

E3881.jpg

make sure small spring is not missing on gear below
    E4702.jpg
    Last edited by teckat; 11-13-2010 at 04:19 AM.
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

(Multifeeder type)

pu1.JPG
    (Single-feeder type)

If the vertical path roller paper sensor (PS4) does not detect copy paper within a specific period
    of time after the cassette pickup roller has started to rotate, the pickup roller is rotated once again to
    execute pickup operation, thereby ensuring correct pickup (as for recycled paper).
    If the vertical path roller paper sensor does not detect copy paper after re-pickup, the machine
    will assume the absence of copy paper and will indicate “ ” in the count/ratio indicator in the
    control panel. (This mechanism substitutes a paper detecting mechanism.)

I : Re-pickup operation is executed if the vertical path roller paper sensor (PS4) does not detect
    copy paper within 0.5 sec after the pickup clutch solenoid (SL1) has turned don.
    II : The cassette pickup solenoid (SL5) turns on once again about 1.3 sec after the pickup clutch
    solenoid (SL1) turns on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for the timely responses.
    I will check further tomorrow. The clutch spring seems to be in tact. I sanded the metal ring with some fine (600 grit wet or dry) sandpaper as it seemed somewhat worn after I cleaned the grease off, but when I installed it, the clutch seemed to slip more so I hit it with some 180 grit. I don't think I took enough off to decrease the diameter of the ring, but I may have.
    The feed rollers look OK. The thing grinds a little because the feed roller gear comes up just shy of the drive gear. It'll work if I just persuade it a little, then the feed rollers turn ok and the paper comes up out of the tray. The spring on the feed roller shaft which pulls the shaft looks ok as well.

Thanks again,
    Michael

never sand the inside of a one way spring or the gear hub it sits on/ it is that gear hub & inside of spring that wears down/ i would order one of each/ & lightly use some silicone oil on inside of spring/ do not use any 3in1 oil /or household oil on spring-

FB2-5163-000 spring
    FS5-0883-000 34t gear clutch

Thanks teckat,

I'll post the results after I replace the parts you recommended.

I installed the parts but put the new spring in the feed clutch and replaced the 32t gear. The rubber on one of the feed rollers was pulled out on 1 end, possibly due to the tray being removed during a paper jamb. I pushed the rubber back into place. Now the feed rollers turn properly (when there is no tray), however they do not have enough umph to pull out a piece of paper from the tray. I have ordered a ring rachet and another spring. How hard is it or is it even possible to take the hub off and put it on another gear? One of the 3 pieces I wanted to replace (the feed clutch) is unfortunately NLA.

I installed the parts but put the new spring in the feed clutch and replaced the 32t gear. The rubber on one of the feed rollers was pulled out on 1 end, possibly due to the tray being removed during a paper jamb. I pushed the rubber back into place. Now the feed rollers turn properly (when there is no tray), however they do not have enough umph to pull out a piece of paper from the tray. I have ordered a ring rachet and another spring. How hard is it or is it even possible to take the hub off and put it on another gear? One of the 3 pieces I wanted to replace (the feed clutch) is unfortunately NLA.

what part # is not available ???

did u check SLI
    how old is the rubber rollers/ are they skipping over the paper

never tried it before, the gear clutch hub must match the spring

Pardon my ignorance, what's SLI? The rubber rollers are original. I can see the feed roller turning (I took the cover off from the vertical transport area and bypassed a sensor) when there is no paper tray. When I put the paper tray back in, the rollers turn just enough to contact the paper and then stop.
    The tech at Precision Roller does not give out the OEM #'s, at least to me. PR has their own numbering system which they use when parts are ordered, to keep the OEM #'s from being used.
    According to him, there is a gear, ring rachet and spring. The gear and the spring are NLA. That's why I ordered another FB2-5163-000 spring and the ring rachet.

Pardon my ignorance, what's SLI? The rubber rollers are original. I can see the feed roller turning (I took the cover off from the vertical transport area and bypassed a sensor) when there is no paper tray. When I put the paper tray back in, the rollers turn just enough to contact the paper and then stop.
    The tech at Precision Roller does not give out the OEM #'s, at least to me. PR has their own numbering system which they use when parts are ordered, to keep the OEM #'s from being used.
    According to him, there is a gear, ring rachet and spring. The gear and the spring are NLA. That's why I ordered another FB2-5163-000 spring and the ring rachet.

do u see that picture above with the SL1= Solenoid 1/

that controls the release and gear drive/ if it slips back down while the pic up roller turns, u will lose the drive to continue pick up