Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

IR4570 Vertical Path Rollers and Registration Roller

Hi! I am admittently new to all of this, and I have a question regarding vertical path rollers. I am have a paper jam issue, but the paper doesn't jam, it just stops feeding randomly. Sometimes it makes it halfway up the vertical path, sometimes 1.4 the way ...

I purchased and replaced the 3 rollers that pickup the paper(for both cassettes), and I am now on to the registration soft roller and the vertical path rollers.

My question is, is there a thread that shows how to do this? I know I have to remove the assembly, but don't want to mess anything up.

My second issue is the gears that are on the shafts themselves, I don't know how to remove them and I don't want to break those either.

Would anyone familiar with this process help a newbie out?

Thanks in advance!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

before you go and tackle that registration roller which isn't easy I would make sure your machine has the update door mod for the cassettes. This is the smaller lower door just underneath the large door.
    FM3-1296-000 and FM3-1297-000. If your current door has any amount of foam on it then it is the older style and the new inner guide would have a leaf spring on it. The old one just had the black guide and white pressure rollers. If you search this forum there is probably some additional information in here with pictures possibly.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Technician 250+ Posts
    I recommend you hire a trained tech that knows how to display the jam code and then replace/repair the right part. Jusr replacing parts because it worked for someone else may not solved your problem. That said, you may be looking in the right area. This series had an issue with the vertical feed rollers and the door. If you insist on DIY, then you need to obtain a service and also a parts manual. The manual will tell you how to remove the paper feed unit to get at the vertical feed roller. Once the roller is out, removing the gear is easy - just a plastic retainer.

Parts may be a little hard to find as it appears you may not be working for a dealer and will just have to try the internet.

Technician

Thanks!

Thanks guys, this forum rocks. As for my situation:

I am under the gun, the people hired me and don't want to use a Canon technician.

In this picture ...
    reg_roller_gear.jpg

How do I get this thing off?

that is your registration roller with a pin you have to knock out in order to remove it. I was refering to the right lower door and the inner guide which are a major issue with this model causing the jams in that area. Here is what the door and the inner guide looks like. You can get them from precission roller if you need more info.

Technician
    Thanks again for the reply. Yeah I had already removed the registration roller, and was covering all rollers to try and resolve the issue. I have a new vertical roller shaft, registration soft roller shaft, and the 6 rollers in the 2 pickup areas.

One thing I noticed was when I apply pressure to the door during a feed, it works. When I do not apply pressure, it does not work at all, just stops mid path. Sometimes it gets further than other times. This is why I was replacing all rollers dealing with vertical travel and pickup.

Thank you very much once again, this is a huge help!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charm5496 View Post
    that is your registration roller with a pin you have to knock out in order to remove it. I was refering to the right lower door and the inner guide which are a major issue with this model causing the jams in that area. Here is what the door and the inner guide looks like. You can get them from precission roller if you need more info.
    The door is the usual solution to this problem. Since the door does not press the vertical guide hard enough, there is insufficient pressure on the idler rollers to drive the paper upward. I think I'm the fourth person to suggest this to you. Look at the right side doors.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    Thank you all, I ordered the two parts you suggested

not a problem. godd luck!!!

My 2 cents will match the others. Replace the door and guide. I do it on all my copiers that use that style. You diagnosed it for us when you said it works when you apply pressure on the door. I'd bet the farm that the door and guide solve your problem. Your farm, not mine.