Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician 250+ Posts
    What he may have meant was guys like the people providing you service give the rest of us a bad name because he is really trying to rip you off. As was stated earlier, the HDD is not different between a networked/printer/non-printer unit. Since you did have a networked unit prior to the 602 - you have the nic and the right boot rom. The service tech just needs the load the right system software. In fact, you do not even HAVE to use a Canon HDD - just look at the old HDD and get the manufacturer number and then buy another one from a third party.

Where the guy may be going on a tangent (assuming he is honest - and we doubt that) is Canon is in the process of replacing all the PATA HDD units in the ImageRunner series with SATA HDD units. So (giving him some possible credit) what he may have been trying to say is he could not get the CANON HDD anymore. Since the old HDD drives are available from other vendors, we have not priced or attempted to use Canon's TP detailing how to switch the PATA for a SATA.

meiscc
    Latest update....called an authorized service shop right here in Cheshire (Candlewood Business Systems). Spoke to them several times about the issue with some back and forth phone calls. None of the phone calls involved an actual technician. They finally called back and said they could help us but it might be a month or so. Okay.? Didn't want to argue with them. Now I have called an authorized service shop in Milford, CT (Ryan Business Solutions). I spoke with someone in the service department. She was very pleasant and understoon the problem. The owner has since called back and they can be here on Monday to reformat the hard drive. They also reprimanded me in a nice way about not using an authorized Canon dealer. Thanks for the help all and looking forward to Monday.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Help with Canon IR3300

wow a month to get to you!?!?!?!? that is a bunch of BS!!!!
    Glad you went the route you did and RBS is giong to take the time to take care of your machine the right way
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I can offer you a tip since you are good with computers and I have done this to a few 3300s with E602 probs. You CAN image the hard drive with the E602 problem over to a new drive. We do this because we do not have the fireware and SST since we are not a Canon dealer. BUT you must use a tool that will do a raw sector by sector copy. canon uses special partition types that cannot be duplicated.....but a raw, blind sector by sector copy will copy anything no matter what. I have done this on several makes and models of copiers. Also the size or the new drive doesnt matter, as long as 1) the copier will see the drive, and 2) that is equal or larger then the drive that is bad in size. If you want to know more message me and ill pass on the details on how to get this done in further detail.

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    I would advise you to allow the company to come out on Monday to resolve this problem, properly.

The System component of the software needs to have the network version installed,,, but if I was the person coming out to follow up on someone who obviously did not know what they were doing, I would format the drive and load a fresh coat of software on it using SST and the network version of System Software...
    Last edited by mrfixit51; 11-24-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: clarity of thought...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tinnyjay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by repn1999 View Post
    I can offer you a tip since you are good with computers and I have done this to a few 3300s with E602 probs. You CAN image the hard drive with the E602 problem over to a new drive. We do this because we do not have the fireware and SST since we are not a Canon dealer. BUT you must use a tool that will do a raw sector by sector copy. canon uses special partition types that cannot be duplicated.....but a raw, blind sector by sector copy will copy anything no matter what. I have done this on several makes and models of copiers. Also the size or the new drive doesnt matter, as long as 1) the copier will see the drive, and 2) that is equal or larger then the drive that is bad in size. If you want to know more message me and ill pass on the details on how to get this done in further detail.
    That's true
    "Who loves the roses,must also bear thumbs"

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    You are 'SHARP' indeed! This is what we call REAL INITIATIVE. Engineering is all about offering practical solutions to problems at low costs. remember that these DIGITAL COPIERS became DIGITAL simply because the COMPUTER ENGINEERS brought in their INPUT to the industry by simply ADDING powerful network print controllers which gave the devices the necessary processing power to achieve advanced scanning document,routing & print management. Initiative is what the crew of APOLLO 11 used in 1969 ,when the engine on the module which landed on the moon almost failed to restart because of a faulty ignition button, and the pilot had to use the cover of a bic pen , insert in the ignition hole & restart the engine. Imagine WHAT would happen if they had missed to dock with the orbiting capsule to bring them back to earth due to engine failure, while waiting for NASA technicians to come from the earth. How on earth can a service provider tell a customer to wait for service for a whole month. Canon should strip that company of their license.