Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    meiscc

Unhappy Help with Canon IR3300

Ok, first post. Let me start by saying I am not a copy tech but fairly handy with computers. I've read through the majority of previous posts regarding the IR3300, specifically the posts regarding hard drive issues.

Our hard drive recently died on our machine hich had the network printing and scanning function working properly. We have a maintenance contract so our tech came out and replaced the hard drive. Unfortunately, the replacement hard drive was not formatted for network printing. I have spoken with the owner of the copy repair company and he told me he longer can get drives for this machine formatted for network capability. He insists he has tried but cannot locate one but is willing to give us a discount on a newer model.

After reading through earlier posts, I am wondering if he is just trying to move inventory or is he telling me the truth. My second question, is it possible for a newbie to use the SST software and reformat the current drive with the proper firmware and software to enable the network function.

Sorry for the long post. Just don't want to spend $3000 if I don't have to. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Chris

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    Help with Canon IR3300

Quote Originally Posted by meiscc View Post
    Ok, first post. Let me start by saying I am not a copy tech but fairly handy with computers. I've read through the majority of previous posts regarding the IR3300, specifically the posts regarding hard drive issues.

Our hard drive recently died on our machine hich had the network printing and scanning function working properly. We have a maintenance contract so our tech came out and replaced the hard drive. Unfortunately, the replacement hard drive was not formatted for network printing. I have spoken with the owner of the copy repair company and he told me he longer can get drives for this machine formatted for network capability. He insists he has tried but cannot locate one but is willing to give us a discount on a newer model.

After reading through earlier posts, I am wondering if he is just trying to move inventory or is he telling me the truth. My second question, is it possible for a newbie to use the SST software and reformat the current drive with the proper firmware and software to enable the network function.

Sorry for the long post. Just don't want to spend $3000 if I don't have to. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Chris
    You've been given bad info. The working hard drive that your machine now has can easily be setup properly by a Canon authorized tech and will not cost anywhere near $3000. More like $300. Place a service call with someone in your area that is authorized and that knows that model. Where are you located?
    Last edited by blazebusiness; 11-16-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

meiscc
    Thanks for the reply blaze. I figured it was bad info. As far as I know, these guys are authorized Canon service techs. We have been using them for 15 years. Anyways, we are in Cheshire, CT. Went to Canon's site but can't find a listing of authorized service companies.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Help with Canon IR3300

Chris

who is this Company jerk who told u that/ was this tech CANON trained ???

there is no such thing a a networked HDD !

what kind of Copier maintenance contract company are u dealing with / are the techs Canon trained/ where are u located ??

this is a simple procedure for a trained Canon tech/ Please post the waste of time Company's Name - I will personally call them up !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    **Knowledge is time consuming, exhausting and costly for a trained Tech.**

meiscc
    teckat,

He is actually a pretty nice guy although that doesn't make him an expert in copier repair. I have no idea if he or his techs were trained by Canon. If I used the wrong terminology with respect to the HDD, that is my fault. It is my understanding that the HDD needs to be formatted with the correct software / firmware to enable the network capabilities (plus the NIC). I thought about getting the SST kit and trying the procedure myself but I think without any training, it may prove difficult.

Help with Canon IR3300

teckat,

He is actually a pretty nice guy although that doesn't make him an expert in copier repair. I have no idea if he or his techs were trained by Canon. If I used the wrong terminology with respect to the HDD, that is my fault. It is my understanding that the HDD needs to be formatted with the correct software / firmware to enable the network capabilities (plus the NIC). I thought about getting the SST kit and trying the procedure myself but I think without any training, it may prove difficult.

did u receive an error code E602 ??
    why would u sign a repair contract without checking if the techs know how to repair CANON products ??

all image Runners need Firmware to operate/ what was the initial issue/ ???

Like I said before if u have the iR3300 options already installed for Scanning/Send/ & Network printing/ what made the machine not function.

if you are deal with a Canon authorized dealer their techs would have the firmware to repair 3300

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    Help with Canon IR3300

Why would you try to install the firmware yourself when you have no training? Especially when it's so affordable to have it done correctly by a Canon tech , my friend. Sounds like that "nice guy" tech pulled a used hard drive from a non networked used IR3300 and sold it to you and then told you a network hard drive was no longer available. If he was truly a "nice guy" he would have admitted he didn't know how to load the firmware to let you print and scan.

I second the outrage expressed by Tekcat. Guys like that gives the rest of us techs a bad name.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

meiscc
    Certainly wasn't trying to outrage anyone here. We did get the E602 error code. The tech came the next day and replaced the hard drive. I agree, he obviously replaced the existing hard drive with one from a non-networked unit. We have been using this guy for over 15 years and I purchased this company four years ago. It didn't occur to me to research his tech guys to see if they were Canon experts. I have already called a local authorized Canon service center and they are going to have a tech call me this afternoon. I'm not sure why you think you guys are getting a bad name over this. After reading many of the earlier posts, I figured this was the place to come for some expert advice.

Help with Canon IR3300

Certainly wasn't trying to outrage anyone here. We did get the E602 error code. The tech came the next day and replaced the hard drive. I agree, he obviously replaced the existing hard drive with one from a non-networked unit. We have been using this guy for over 15 years and I purchased this company four years ago. It didn't occur to me to research his tech guys to see if they were Canon experts. I have already called a local authorized Canon service center and they are going to have a tech call me this afternoon. I'm not sure why you think you guys are getting a bad name over this. After reading many of the earlier posts, I figured this was the place to come for some expert advice.

It is always best to ask the tech what are they going to do to get this machine up and running/ nice guys finish last -
    we do offer expert advise here- like I stated- u need to also call back that company and ask questions

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    All that is needed to resolve the issue is to use the network version of system software, would take 15-20 minutes to resolve this issue...