Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    So, he's not only cheap when aquiring equipment, he's also cheap when buying supplies.

I'm not surprised.
    How am I cheap when buying supplies? I asked if this paper would work in my laser copier, what's cheap about that? Or are you referring to the paper I posted? I don't know any other place that sells 110lbs paper if that's what you mean and I only need a few sheets of it anyway.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Can I print on 110lbs paper if the highest weight setting in paper types is 80 lbs?

Staples paper without any description.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

End User 250+ Posts
    Staples paper without any description.
    OK I have the pack of paper now, it is 199g/m2, would that be ok in my laser copier?

End User 250+ Posts
    By the way, shouldn't the lbs of the paper be relative to the g/m2? How can you have different papers with the same lbs rating but different g/m2 ratings? Isn't that like saying a 150 lbs person could weigh 50kg, 75kg or 100 kg?

Can I print on 110lbs paper if the highest weight setting in paper types is 80 lbs?

Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

So you've got 110# Index = 199 g/m2. The specs for your machine are maximum 43# Bond = 161 g/m2 from the cassette or 58# Bond = 218 g/ms from the multi-purpose tray. (Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : Color imageCLASS MF8350Cdn)

So you cannot feed this stock from the cassette. The main problem is that heavier paper has difficulty making the hard vertical turn from the cassette.
    And you can feed this stock from the multipurpose tray. The operators manual states that you may load only one sheet of heavy paper stock of 129 to 218 g/m2 media in the MP tray (probably because this machine uses pad separation in the MP tray, and cannot separate heavier stock. And the Heavy3 setting must be selected for the MP tray, and in the driver. http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/030000..._en-us_R_1.pdf

The machines that are designed to handle heavier paper do several things that your machine cannot.
    1) they increase the transfer current to accomplish proper transfer through the heaver media.
    2) they increase the fuser temperature. Additional heat is required to fuse heavier paper stock.
    3) they decrease the copy speed to increase the the amount of fusing time.
    4) they have pickup roller/feed roller/separation roller feed systems to separate heavier paper stock.
    5) they are able to duplex heavier stock so that smudging is avoided, when reloading the paper.

Now the harm question. Will it harm your machine? That depends:
    1) You'll have more paper jams. There is always additional risk of fuser claw damage to the upper or lower fuser roller when you have jams. If you're one of those users that gets agitated and starts slamming around the machine when you get a jam, you'll also have user damage.
    2) If the paper exceeds machine specs you'll have incomplete transfer and incomplete fusing. To you that means diminishing image quality, additional transfer waste collection, and toner buildup on fuser rollers and guides. That translates to streaks from the transfer belt and/or streaks from the toner on the fuser rollers, on the prints and copies.
    3) You'll be replacing the multipurpose tray rollers more frequently. How much more frequently? That will depend upon what percentage of your paper volume will be heavy paper stock.

How long do you suppose that will take to print your job one page at a time?
    And if you try to duplex it by replacing the once-printed pages in the MP tray, the pad separation will smear the first image. That is why this is not a suitable machine for printing heavy stock.

=^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 11-25-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Additional information
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

End User 250+ Posts
    My machine does slow down (enormously) when I set it to heavyweight paper, it goes from 21ppm to probably 5ppm. I'm not sure about increasing fuser temp, maybe it doesn't do that which is why it needs to slow to a ridiculous "speed".

I've never had a single paper jam in this machine in probably 25 000 prints except when I did manual double sided copies (as I said before the scanner doesn't do double sided so I had to run originals and copies twice each through both the scanner and printer) and the pages printed on the first side where curled from printing. With blank/new sheets I haven't had a single jam. I do often get false jam errors due to bugs in the machine's firmware (if I open tray 1 while printing from the MP tray I instantly get a paper jam error even though nothing jams).

When it jams I look at the LCD display where it plays a video indicating which of the many doors to open to access the jam and the video progresses as you follow the steps to guide you through the whole process.

I don't expect to be printing much on heavyweight paper, only sheets of 10 business cards every now and then.
    Last edited by aab1; 11-26-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Thank you for letting go of your favorite topic for a few posts.

You should make yourself familiar with the machine specs and operators manual available at those links in the last post.
    And just because you were able to exceed machine specs successfully in the past, that does not mean that your machine will be able to continue to do so. Things wear out, quicker when you push them to the limit. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

End User 250+ Posts
    At the store they have 67lbs cover stock and 110lbs card stock, I expected the 110lbs to be much thicker, but when I put the pack of 250 sheets of each side by side, the pack of 110lbs paper is barely thicker, I didn't measure but say the pack of 67lbs was 2 inches thick, the pack of 110lbs was maybe 2 1/4" thick.

How can it be nearly double the weight but barely 5% thicker?

The same way 1 jar of water is lighter than 1 similar jar of syrup - density.
    Mascan42

Ibid