Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    End User 250+ Posts

When I print B&W, does it create color waste toner also?

On my last set of cartridges I printed mostly black and white (in black toner only mode), but it seems that the color cartridges generated a lot of waste toner and had toner used quite a bit.

Is waste toner created (as in any toner going from main toner bins to waste toner bins) when you're not even printing from those cartridges? Or is waste toner only created when the laser is actually drawing onto that cartridge's drum?

And I'm talking about a small machine (MF8350Cdn) that has 4 self contained cartridges that each have a drum.

Thanks

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The machine must calibrate periodically, regardless whether it's a b&w image or a color image. How does it calibrate? It prints rectangles of each color toner onto the transfer belt then scans the density of the rectangles with sensors for that purpose. Then the rectangles are cleaned off the primary transfer belt, and go where? Into the transfer waste container. If you don't want calibration get a B&W only machine. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

OMD-227
    'nuff said.

The frequency of how often the machine does the calibration depends on numerous factors including job page counts, consumable rotation or pixel count (depending on setting per machine), temperature & humidity changes (if machine has these sensors), powering on device often creates a calibration sequence and running alot of stop/start printing (1page, 50pages, 1page, 100pages etc etc).

End User 250+ Posts
    Is that what it's doing when the LCD says "Adjusting, please wait..."?

Does this waste container ever need to be emptied?

Also, how come when the printer was new it printed gradients of each color and then asked me to put the sheet of printed gradients onto the scanner so it could scan it. Why would it do this is it has a sensor inside the printer? Or is this a different calibration?

My inkjet does something similar when a print head is changed, there's a light & camera on the print carriage next to the print heads so it can print test patterns and with the camera it looks at what it printed and aligns print heads and linefeed automatically. Come to think of it, it actually does more than that, at the end of every print job or every so many pages printed during a job, it moves each print head over a drop sensor and then shoots an ink drop out of of every nozzle and detects if a drop comes out (it takes about 5 seconds to test all 4224 nozzles). It then keeps in memory any nozzle that isn't firing and compensates by using different working nozzles, this allows to keep perfect print quality even when the print heads are starting to fail (after about 50 000 prints).

Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    Is that what it's doing when the LCD says "Adjusting, please wait..."?

Does this waste container ever need to be emptied? ...
    Yes, that's calibration. Yes, it needs emptying periodically. How it's stored, and how it's emptied depends on your specific model, and I'm not that familiar with your specfic Canon. Consult your users guide.

Also, how come when the printer was new it printed gradients of each color and then asked me to put the sheet of printed gradients onto the scanner so it could scan it. Why would it do this is it has a sensor inside the printer? Or is this a different calibration? ...
    The gradients are for scanner calibration, not engine calibration. It's a separate operation.

I thought you were going to ease up on your inkjet obsession. =^..^=

OMD-227
    Also, how come when the printer was new it printed gradients of each color and then asked me to put the sheet of printed gradients onto the scanner so it could scan it. Why would it do this is it has a sensor inside the printer? Or is this a different calibration?

That also has something to do with color registration on some inkjet MFP's. I used to have a HP 2110 inkjet MFP at home which would print that calibration page upon a new cartridge to be scanned in.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

due to color calibration the color toner goes to waste bin. it will not calculate weather you take color or b/w. it just do gradation adjustment after some copies count. so avoid using color machine as b/w machine is a good practice. not only waste of toner, color variation will occur after bulk b/w copies.

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosaro75 View Post
    due to color calibration the color toner goes to waste bin. it will not calculate weather you take color or b/w. it just do gradation adjustment after some copies count. so avoid using color machine as b/w machine is a good practice. not only waste of toner, color variation will occur after bulk b/w copies.
    I tried removing the color cartridges and closed the machine. When I do this it allows me to print in black and white but disables color printing.

So I assume if I have a large black and white print job to do that it would be a good idea to remove all color cartridges (which include the drums) and print it using the black print cartridge only? This would essentially convert the color machine to a B&W machine eliminating the need for a separate B&W machine.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "Penny wise, pound foolish."? =^..^=

OMD-227
    Well, I think you're lucky that the machine even lets you continue to use it without the cartridges installed. Everything that I've ever seen would crack the shits as soon as it detected something wrong.
    Go ahead.... use it as much as you can without the color toners. See how far you get with it before it wants to calibrate. I'm actually curious.
    Funny though.... running a color machine without the colors installed. Gotta agree with Dave on that line.

...... and here you were bagging the canon earlier........ look at it now! Working without the toners installed. Its magic I tell ya!