Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I love all kinds of technologies. Specifically to printing, I like inkjets, lasers, and offset printing. There's good and bad to all of them and they're very different. Even though some of the technologies are hundreds of years old and some newer they are all quite fascinating considering someone had to come up with the idea out of nothingness.

Here's some honest advice for aab1. You seem to have a knack for technology and modifying it to suit your needs, drive down costs, etc. You also seem very passionate about your inkjets and that's cool. I myself love copiers, even more specific I love the study of magnetology.

You should try and put your energy and gift into good use. Maybe you can design your own inkjet, or patent and sell a modification to the manufacturer.

Now in my opinion, lasers are far superior in most applications. It's my opinion right now and no one will change it. But if laser devices are costing more than inkjets, see if you can come up with a way to improve them and make them for less money without the loss of quality.

As far as inkjets go, here's something you can work on...address printers. Check them out, they are made by several companies, Bryce, Secap, Pitney Bowes, Hasler, Neopost, Rena, and probably others. Now these printers use inkjet technology, actually they use HP inkjet cartridges but they cost several thousand up to tens of thousands of dollars. Bottom line, they are inkjet printers. But they are made to handle small and large envelopes, booklets, and postcards. They feed them better (with straight paper path) to apply the addresses and barcodes for bulk mailing and discounts. Maybe you can come up with a more cost effective address printer. If anyone can do it, it has to be you. I mean that in a positive way.

Maybe someday there will be an AAB1 address inkjet printer for less than ten grand that any business can afford.

As far as your original question, I don't know. Maybe it can be disabled, maybe not. Maybe you can modify it. We used to have a complaint of a dedicated brother fax that kept beeping or ringing so I snipped the speaker wires...problem solved.

I don't know what country you're from but Verizon has a distinctive ring feature you can get. Basically two numbers on one phone line, the fax gets a unique ring to it and you set the fax up to recognize it. Call your phone company about it.

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    See Blackcat, now you got him started on those son-of-a-biatchin' ink refills...haha.

Dare I ask, but didn't you say or someone say that they have water resistant inks...b/c that was one advantage of laser to begin with?
    They do but the inks cost a bit more (maybe like $55 a liter VS $50) and I'm not sure it's as resistant, I had tried it with a print from one of those new inkjets and put it under running water the ink didn't seem to smudge but maybe eventually would. With laser since it's molten plastic there's no way it's going anywhere even under Niagara falls. Laser also has the benefit of making glossy images even on plain paper as well as being able to use glossy paper that costs next to nothing. Glossy paper for inkjets costs a fortune because it's hard to make a surface that's both glossy and porous to absorb ink. So for glossy prints laser ends up cheaper as long as the print coverage isn't too high since the paper costs considerably less. So laser does have it's advantages that are worth the much higher cost per page when needed.

End User 250+ Posts
    Maybe you can design your own inkjet, or patent and sell a modification to the manufacturer.
    lol, yea, I'm sure manufacturers are going to love making only 0.4 cents per color print when they can make 7 cents per color print on inkjets.

As I said lasers do offer water proof prints and glossy images on plain paper, but I don't see any other advantages. Especially later this year when 60 ppm inkjets at 3600 dpi under $200 come out. For now you need to pay $25000 for a 150 ppm inkjet, but current $200 inkjets are still 35ppm, much faster than any laser even at 5 times that price.

This is the one I have now:

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    As I said lasers do offer water proof prints and glossy images on plain paper, but I don't see any other advantages.
    YouTube - HP Officejet Pro L7780 Fastest All In One
    Just keep and open mind and maybe you will begin to see more advantages to laser.

End User 250+ Posts
    Just keep and open mind and maybe you will begin to see more advantages to laser.
    Well I literally have one of each side by side since 1-2 months. Can you tell me what other advantages?

Cost per color page
    Inkjet: 0.4 cents per page (with refills) 7 cents a page (genuine cartridges)
    Laser: 2.5 cents per page (with refills) 25 cents a page (genuine cartridges)

Maintenance
    Inkjet: Replace ink bottles every 50 000 prints, printheads every 60 000 prints
    Laser: Refill toner every 2000 pages, replace cartridge/drum units every 8000 pages

Print Quality
    Inkjet: 4800 DPI, photo quality
    Laser: 600 DPI, visible dots/grainy prints

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What's the setting to stop the printer from preheating whenever the phone rings?

Which makes you more of an asshole to come to this forum looking for help and come out with something that stupid. I honestly dont even believe that you're a printer, just a tech posting meaningless pictures of things that probably aren't yours. No businessman would come to this forum looking for help and spend the time you have trashing one manufacturer while sucking up to another and return week after week with some of the questions you've come here with. Had enough of this thread. Time to move on.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    What's the setting to stop the printer from preheating whenever the phone rings?

Well I literally have one of each side by side since 1-2 months. Can you tell me what other advantages?

Cost per color page
    Inkjet: 0.4 cents per page (with refills) 7 cents a page (genuine cartridges)
    Laser: 2.5 cents per page (with refills) 25 cents a page (genuine cartridges)

Maintenance
    Inkjet: Replace ink bottles every 50 000 prints, printheads every 60 000 prints
    Laser: Refill toner every 2000 pages, replace cartridge/drum units every 8000 pages

Print Quality
    Inkjet: 4800 DPI, photo quality
    Laser: 600 DPI, visible dots/grainy prints
    Which begs, once more, the question: what brings you here besides sheer fanboyism?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    125 posts and still a Rep Power of zilch.

Kinda says it all, doesn't it?

Go figure.
    How do you gain Rep Power, anyway?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    lol, yea, I'm sure manufacturers are going to love making only 0.4 cents per color print when they can make 7 cents per color print on inkjets.

As I said lasers do offer water proof prints and glossy images on plain paper, but I don't see any other advantages. Especially later this year when 60 ppm inkjets at 3600 dpi under $200 come out. For now you need to pay $25000 for a 150 ppm inkjet, but current $200 inkjets are still 35ppm, much faster than any laser even at 5 times that price.

YouTube - HP Officejet Pro L7780 Fastest All In One

Ink dries. Toner is dry. Toner has a massive shelf life.

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkyoaf View Post
    Ink dries. Toner is dry. Toner has a massive shelf life.
    Ink doesn't dry when it's in a sealed bottle (it's also in sealed bottles on my mod other than the hole for the tubes being every so slightly bigger than the tubes [the tubes still fit snugly in the holes and aren't loose] otherwise the printer's ink pump makes the bottles collapse as it pumps the ink out so the minuscule space between the tube and hole allows the pressure to equalize and prevent collapsing bottles) and keeps for years.