Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkyoaf View Post
    How do you gain Rep Power, anyway?
    There's a little star (looks like a sherif's badge) where people can give you positive or negative reputation. I suppose you get it for several things. Maybe you've helped someone out so they increase your rep power. Maybe you've posted something helpful or funny or anything that would inspire someone to increase your reputation rating.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    What's the setting to stop the printer from preheating whenever the phone rings?

People give it to - or take it from - you. Think of it as a voting system for your posts.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Good to know. I'll have to give credit where it's due!

What's the setting to stop the printer from preheating whenever the phone rings?

Good to know. I'll have to give credit where it's due!
    Or take it.

Use the little star on the bottom left of the post you want to rate/downrate.
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
    Well I literally have one of each side by side since 1-2 months. Can you tell me what other advantages?

Cost per color page
    Inkjet: 0.4 cents per page (with refills) 7 cents a page (genuine cartridges)
    Laser: 2.5 cents per page (with refills) 25 cents a page (genuine cartridges)

Maintenance
    Inkjet: Replace ink bottles every 50 000 prints, printheads every 60 000 prints
    Laser: Refill toner every 2000 pages, replace cartridge/drum units every 8000 pages

Print Quality
    Inkjet: 4800 DPI, photo quality
    Laser: 600 DPI, visible dots/grainy prints
    Well with trying to keep it simple...

Lasers are up to 2400x2400 dpi I think. I have noticed better quality on a 600dpi laser than a 600dpi inkjet. Inkjets have different nozzle and droplet sizes and toner is typically a smaller particle. Plus inkjets use one of two methods I think, one is sending current to the nozzles so they vibrate. Laser has extra crispness b/c it is written with a fine laser beam. Also manufacturers have been producing smaller and rounder toner particles. Text can only look so good to the eye. Comparing b/w photo on a 600dpi laser to a 1200dpi laser is very different...much better graphics.

Honestly the machine you've chosen as a laser is a smaller machine, as size, speed, and volume increase, the toners get bigger and cheaper and cost per page goes down.

Lasers last longer and do more, just look at the highest volume page count forum here, many reach tens of millions or more.

So why does laser dominate the office environment so much more than inkjet? Well actually they probably complement each other realistically. Inkjet tends to sit on people desks and lasers tend to be for workgroups and departments.

There's one thing you have to keep in mind aab1, 99% of the market isn't going to care or modify any machine like you have. Most people work for someone else and just want to get through their day and go the hell home. The secretary just wants to order a toner or drum cartridge and pop the bad boy in the machine and forget about it. Also inkjet machines don't have the service technician networks like lasers do. So when your copier breaks down you call the dealer and they come out. Most people don't want anything to do with machines or supplies and don't care how much their company pays for it or who they get it from, except maybe when they initially buy the machine.

Your mod may work great for you and save you tons of money but most end users and buyers won't care, won't know how or even think of dealing with it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post

Most people work for someone else and just want to get through their day and go the hell home.
    HEAR HEAR!

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/6...AABR003881.jpg

End User 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpd@businessprints.net View Post
    Well with trying to keep it simple...

Lasers are up to 2400x2400 dpi I think. I have noticed better quality on a 600dpi laser than a 600dpi inkjet. Inkjets have different nozzle and droplet sizes and toner is typically a smaller particle. Plus inkjets use one of two methods I think, one is sending current to the nozzles so they vibrate. Laser has extra crispness b/c it is written with a fine laser beam. Also manufacturers have been producing smaller and rounder toner particles. Text can only look so good to the eye. Comparing b/w photo on a 600dpi laser to a 1200dpi laser is very different...much better graphics.

Honestly the machine you've chosen as a laser is a smaller machine, as size, speed, and volume increase, the toners get bigger and cheaper and cost per page goes down.

Lasers last longer and do more, just look at the highest volume page count forum here, many reach tens of millions or more.

So why does laser dominate the office environment so much more than inkjet? Well actually they probably complement each other realistically. Inkjet tends to sit on people desks and lasers tend to be for workgroups and departments.

There's one thing you have to keep in mind aab1, 99% of the market isn't going to care or modify any machine like you have. Most people work for someone else and just want to get through their day and go the hell home. The secretary just wants to order a toner or drum cartridge and pop the bad boy in the machine and forget about it. Also inkjet machines don't have the service technician networks like lasers do. So when your copier breaks down you call the dealer and they come out. Most people don't want anything to do with machines or supplies and don't care how much their company pays for it or who they get it from, except maybe when they initially buy the machine.

Your mod may work great for you and save you tons of money but most end users and buyers won't care, won't know how or even think of dealing with it.
    I don't think there are any 600dpi inkjets since nearly 10 years, inkjets are now in the 4000-10000 dpi range even at entry level models that are $50.

Also, photo quality inkjets use from 6 inks (black, cyan, light cyan, magenta, light magenta, yellow) to 12 inks (light cyan, magenta, light magenta, yellow, red, green, blue, light gray, gray, photo black, matte black, gloss enhancer), even a 6 ink printer will make photo lab quality pictures with no visible dots whatsoever. I used to have a small HP inkjet home use printer that was 6 inks and had printed a photo on 4x6 glossy paper, as I showed friends the quality of the picture and they looked at it closely, they would answer "well that's the original photo, where's the copy you made?"... it was the copy I made.

By using light cyan and light magenta they can make light colors directly, rather than spreading out "dark" magenta or "dark" cyan dots to give the illusion of a light color which results in visible dots. So simply adding light cyan and light magenta makes any dots completely invisible and a quality that no laser can even approach.

Bigger business inkjets like mine only use 4 colors like laser printers so the quality isn't as good as a 6 color inkjet but still better than most lasers.

About toner particles being smaller, I don't think that's the issue, when I refill my cartridges you can see that toner particles are infinitely smaller than the smallest inkdrop an inkjet printer could make, from looking at laser prints up close, it's obvious it's the laser size that's the limitation, they would need a smaller laser beam to make smaller dots on the paper.

And it's true laser printers last longer since high speed inkjets have a carriage that moves very violently back and forth. Although my inkjet made about 5 million back and forth motions at blinding speed as you can see in the video I posted before the $5 carriage motor failed. Even replacing a $200 business inkjet printer or $600 business inkjet copier every 200 000 prints would be cheaper than a laser. But $25 000 inkjets, and later this year even $200 models, no longer have a carriage, they have a page wide printhead so the only moving part is the rollers that move the paper, and a page wide printhead (the only consumable part) has a life of over half a million pages (they last about 60 000 pages per inch of width, since with a twice as long printhead, each nozzle does half the work).

I think once these $200 inkjets that are 60ppm come out, they will likely slowly start replacing laser printers in many situations as they gain popularity, but now such inkjets start at $25 000.

And about my mod, again even without the mod HP Officejet Pro inkjets cost half to a quarter the cost per page than laser printers, my mod just makes the savings even greater. Without the mod you just need to replace $25 cartridges that made 1500-2500 prints and printheads every 60 000 prints.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    From what I understand, it's primarily positive comments from fellow posters.

If you are on the "positive" side of the scale, your number of posts factors in, too.

A moderator could give you a little better insight, though.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    From what I understand, it's primarily positive comments from fellow posters.

If you are on the "positive" side of the scale, your number of posts factors in, too.

A moderator could give you a little better insight, though.

Thanks All!

Screwtape has put it nicely over here.
    Mascan42

Ibid